By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamecube Vs. WiiU Alligned Launch Update

Will WiiU Beat Gamecube?

No 112 45.90%

Yes 132 54.10%

Total:244
AnthonyW86 said:
It doesn't really matter what game released earlier on what system, Wii-U has SSB coming this holiday and Gamecube hade Mario Kart coming. That means if the Wii-U is selling slower than Gamecube right know, then that's not going to change. If any Mario Kart is actually bigger than SSB, not to mention SSB is available on 3DS aswell this time around. That's means the 3DS is likely to eat away atleast some of the Wii-U SSB sales. You can see the 3DS version as a demo version, but it's also competition.

Wii-U is not going to outsell the Gamecube this holiday, if it's lucky it will get close to the same sales.

Melee outsold Double Dash.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
AnthonyW86 said:
It doesn't really matter what game released earlier on what system, Wii-U has SSB coming this holiday and Gamecube hade Mario Kart coming. That means if the Wii-U is selling slower than Gamecube right know, then that's not going to change. If any Mario Kart is actually bigger than SSB, not to mention SSB is available on 3DS aswell this time around. That's means the 3DS is likely to eat away atleast some of the Wii-U SSB sales. You can see the 3DS version as a demo version, but it's also competition.

Wii-U is not going to outsell the Gamecube this holiday, if it's lucky it will get close to the same sales.

Melee outsold Double Dash.

According to VGChartz tracking by 120k, witch means a virtual tie. However Mario Kart gained a lot of populairity on the Wii, where it outsold Smash 3:1(though MK Wii was more heavily bundled).

AnthonyW86 said:
According to VGChartz tracking by 120k, witch means a virtual tie. However Mario Kart gained a lot of populairity on the Wii, where it outsold Smash 3:1(though MK Wii was more heavily bundled).

"more heavily bundled"? I don't recall any kind of even-remotely-official Brawl bundle. And you speak as though the Wii versions were the most recent versions, when they're obviously not. Mario Kart Wii sold nearly 35 million copies... yet Mario Kart 7 is only at 10 million (plus digital) - Mario Kart Wii sold over 13 million in 2008 alone. And Mario Kart 8 is only at 2.75 million (plus digital)... unless you believe that Smash isn't even going to make 1 million (and if you do, then you're delusional), you don't expect MK8 to outsell Smash U 3:1.

All signs point to Wii U being more like Gamecube than Wii in terms of sales patterns (as in, who is buying it, proportions between types of games, etc). So we should be looking at Gamecube to get a sense of sales.

Furthermore, you are ignoring the question of who is buying each game. Mario Kart has always had strong synergy with classic Mario games (that is, NSMB Wii and Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Sunshine and Mario Kart Double Dash, etc). Many of those who bought Mario Kart 8 would have already had a system for Super Mario 3D World or NSMB U. On the other hand, many Smash fans are big on fighting games and the insanely fast-paced multiplayer of Smash itself moreso than Mario or anything like that. Thus, it makes sense to expect it to sell to a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise have bought a Wii U.

padib said:
The U will do fine. Short term versus long term.

I doubt there will be that much of a "long term" for the Wii U. Internally I think Nintendo has already started to shift resources to the 3DS successor that is going to need to come out in 2016. Gotta start working on games now if you want them ready by then. 

I think the Wii U will get whatever Nintendo already has promised (the 2015 games) + maybe like Metroid and Diddy Kong Racing game and some smaller projects before they put it out to pasture. 

padib said:
Soundwave said:
padib said:
The U will do fine. Short term versus long term.

I doubt there will be that much of a "long term" for the Wii U. Internally I think Nintendo has already started to shift resources to the 3DS successor that is going to need to come out in 2016. Gotta start working on games now if you want them ready by then. 

I think the Wii U will get whatever Nintendo already has promised (the 2015 games) + maybe like Metroid and Diddy Kong Racing game and some smaller projects before they put it out to pasture. 

Of course.

And also, they posted graphs showing how the west is much less front-loaded than japan in their latest investor's briefing. They are right, the U and 3DS still haven't reached their sales potential in the West and their numbers back it up.

I'm sure they are setting up a plan B which is what you said, I don't deny that, but it doesn't negate the point that the West has room for 3DS/U growth in the next 3-7 years.

I think the 3DS is never going to live up to their expectations in the West. Too many kids are iOS/Android crazy here and that's getting worse by the year not better. 

Around the Network

Next year is going to be interesting, Gamecube had a pretty strong software lineup in it's first two years, I'm curious how the Wii U's 2015 will hold up.

@Poll. Possible but I'm skeptical.

tak13 said:
ok gc outships wii u i know the numbers,however how much is the gas in sales?Glad you expect 3m shipments...for holidays!thats the minimum i think,can see it 4m because nintendo doubles shipments,and big N expects smash bros to be equal to mk8...also there are other games and amiibos!gc had two consecutive big price cuts 50$ and 50$ down in its firsttwo years,wii u doesn t.i want a comment forthis, seece:p

Wii U has shipped ~1.3 Million in Q1-Q3.  Double will be 2.6 Million in holidays, but doubtful it will make that much.

Nintendo's estimate which they did not revise is ~2.5 Million in 2014-Q4 and 2015-Q1 combined.

My 8th gen collection

padib said:
Soundwave said:

I think the 3DS is never going to live up to their expectations in the West. Too many kids are iOS/Android crazy here and that's getting worse by the year not better. 

I admit this is personal experience and not statistical evidence, but my nephes and niece, every time they come to my house, they say "Je veux jouer à Mario", though they could easily get my mom's martphone to play Shark Tank instead.

I also think thatthe smartphone craze is slowing down now. I've personally noticed the enthusiasm dwindle. This leaves Nintendo room to prove their pudding so to speak. Once people disconnect from Angry/Flappy birds and Candy Crush and taste the Nintendo games and their quality, imho it should create a counter-trend.

Apple is going to sell 170 million iPhones alone this year. Nintendo probably will struggle to sell 11 million 3DS'. 

That doesn't obviously iPad/iPod Touch or Android devices either, but every time I got to an airport, and I travel a lot for work, the amount of kids playing on their parents iPad/iPhone outnumbers the amount of 3DS' I see by 10:1 easily if not more. 

There isn't going to be a counter-trend here, the smartphone is a real part of people's lives and the first computer interface most kids are getting these days. I see 3 year olds that can operate an iPad. Like radio, TV, it's just a game changer for society. Saying the smartphone is a "trend" is like saying the internet is a trend (and some actually did argue that in the mid-90s). 

If I was a parent who really didn't give two craps about video games (even if I did), I think I'd be quite thrilled that the kids are occupied playing some free/$1 game rather than having to buy all of them $40 game cartridges. I don't think parents are protesting here and the kids aren't either. 

In any case thought the 3DS turns 5 years old on Feb 2016. It needs to be replaced, it's definitely no DS. 

padib said:
Soundwave said:

Apple is going to sell 170 million iPhones alone this year. Nintendo probably will struggle to sell 11 million 3DS'. 

That doesn't obviously iPad/iPod Touch or Android devices either, but every time I got to an airport, and I travel a lot for work, the amount of kids playing on their parents iPad/iPhone outnumbers the amount of 3DS' I see by 10:1 easily if not more. 

There isn't going to be a counter-trend here, the smartphone is a real part of people's lives and the first computer interface most kids are getting these days. Like radio, TV, it's just a game changer for society. 

If I was a parent who really didn't give two craps about video games (even if I did), I think I'd be quite thrilled that the kids are occupied playing some free/$1 game rather than having to buy all of them $40 game cartridges. I don't think parents are protesting here and the kids aren't either. 

@last para. Oh no, I know that. I know that it's now the new way of life I get and see that. I am just saying that the craze itself is over, it's now as you said part of life, like a computer. I don't see computer games selling dramatically and it's been almost 30-40 years that commercial games have been coming out for the PC.

That's what I mean by counter-trend. I don't think I disagree with any of your points and I don't think any really challenges my PoV on Nintendo having a chance of seeing the light of day after the smartphone storm settles, and once people have had the taste of how much better their games are.

What I'm starting to realize is that "better" isn't actually always "better". 

It's kind of like walking into a McDonalds or Burger King and trying to tell the people that a three course meal with a nice bottle of wine is better than the food they're about to eat. 

Well, yeah ... ok, but given the choice some people just a $5 burger + fries + and a Coke. Some times you don't want to go to a fancy restaurant and wait 30 minutes for your food to come out and spend $60+ on dinner for two. 

That's kind of the issue I think portable dedicated gaming is running into. On the go, people just want to something simple that hits the spot and does it for cheap ... if they're going to spend $30+ on a game, they're going to do it on one of the "big" consoles. 

At least in the West, this is the dynamic that is beginning to cement itself, the 3DS is kind of in a weird spot, where the games being more complex and more like home console games isn't actually a bonus. 

In either case though like I said, Nintendo is likely already full steam ahead in software development for the 3DS successor. I suspect Mario Galaxy 3 (or whatever the next Mario is) and Animal Crossing next are development for it already. Nintendo is going to want a gaurunteed strong launch this time after the problems with the Wii U/3DS, that's at least one problem that they have control over.