By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamecube Vs. WiiU Alligned Launch Update

Will WiiU Beat Gamecube?

No 112 45.90%

Yes 132 54.10%

Total:244

I guess it's up to SSB and the Amiibos to save Wii U. SSB has 8 player games... That is going to help this thing sell for sure.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Around the Network
Moonhero said:
I guess it's up to SSB and the Amiibos to save Wii U. SSB has 8 player games... That is going to help this thing sell for sure.

nah that just means less people have to buy it for all of you to play lol.  People are just too nostalgic with Nintendo they're not willing to invest in new stuff.  I have 2 roommates who love playing on N64 still, one is even what I'd call a fanboy and won't criticize anything Nintendo.  But they're satisfied just playing their old stuff.  I'm getting Smash for WiiU so they're going to play it then but for some reason not even it and Mario Kart have been enough.  Still haven't run into anyone with and Xbox One though so at least it's doing better than that!

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Yeah at this point its not likely that Wii U can even pass the Gamecube. Oh well, its Nintendo's fault their console was a failure.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

3DS vs DS doesn't tell us anything we don't already know, which is that the 3DS is not the fastest-selling console of all time. If you want to make the 3DS look bad you'd be better off comparing it to the PSP.

AnthonyW86 said:
Nettles said:
WiiU only just started tracking ahead of DC

Are you sure? Dreamcast was only produced for about 18 months and it ended up just over 10 million total. Maybe NPD only?

It sold alot when it was discontinued, after they dropped the price to 99 or something ridiculous.

Around the Network
Nettles said:
AnthonyW86 said:
Nettles said:

Are you sure? Dreamcast was only produced for about 18 months and it ended up just over 10 million total. Maybe NPD only?

It sold alot when it was discontinued, after they dropped the price to 99 or something ridiculous.

Aah i see so they produced just over 10 units by march 2001 but only shipped them all later.

Nettles said:
AnthonyW86 said:
Nettles said:

The Dreamcast had it's MSRP reduced to $49.95 in December of 2001 (before that it was $79.95/AUG & $99.85/FEB.)  The Dreamcast and original Playstation are the only two consoles in the modern era to have their official MSRP reduced to $49. - source

AnthonyW86 said:
Aielyn said:
Something to keep in mind: Super Smash Bros Melee released not long after the release of the Gamecube. Melee ended up selling to about a third of all Gamecube owners, 7 million. Brawl sold over 12 million copies. And I don't know a single person who pays attention to gaming, has seen what Smash U is offering, and hasn't been interested.

In short, don't rule the Wii U out just yet.

True but Gamecube didn't have Mario Kart yet, Double Dash released in the third holiday. That's why Gamecube shipped over 3 million that holiday. So the gap is only getting bigger the rest of the year.

I think you've missed the point. Gamecube got Mario Kart in its third holiday... which would be the equivalent of this holiday for the Wii U. So by the third holiday, Gamecube had gotten both Mario Kart and Smash Bros. And by the third holiday, Wii U will have gotten both Mario Kart and Smash Bros. The key difference being, Gamecube got Smash near launch, while Mario Kart only made it to Wii U this year.

So if we suppose that the two games were key drivers of system sales on Gamecube, and that their effect was long-term, then Wii U basically lost about a year and a half of driven sales... but with both games on Wii U from November/December, sales should be driven similarly to what was seen on the Gamecube.

Something to think about - Wii U shipped 1.12 million Wii U units in the last six months... by comparison, they shipped 460k in the same period last year. That's more than a 140% increase. For comparison, the Gamecube ratio between 2002 and 2003 was 224%... except, that's in reverse. The April-Sept 2002 sales figures were 224% higher than the April-Sept 2003 figures. And while it might be tempting to blame it entirely on Gamecube launch in PAL regions happening in 2002, the decline was just as visible in Japan and America.

By the way, the other thing that Seece conveniently left out was that Gamecube sold just 80k in April-June 2003. Meanwhile, Wii U sold about 510k in April-June 2014. So for this financial year, the Wii U is ahead 1.12 million to 890k. He also conveniently leaves out that the Gamecube saw a price cut to $99 in North America in September 2003, which would naturally have a short-term boost effect.

Something more to think about - Wii U saw 2.41 million in sales in the first nine months of the last fiscal year. Of those, 460k were in the first half, meaning the third quarter (holiday period) saw 1.95 million units sold. Wii U is now up 140% over the last year for the first half. And while Super Mario 3D World was anticipated, it wasn't exactly highly-hyped. And there was no huge, highly-anticipated title for that holiday season.

Meanwhile, this holiday season has Smash, a game that has a rather extreme amount of hype around it. The 3DS version managed to sell 3.22 million copies before the end of September, despite not even having released outside of Japan in that time... and Nintendo expressing apologies for not supplying enough stock. And I've had more than one person say to me (in real life, this is) that they feel like the 3DS version is really just a demo version for the Wii U - that is, it's only got partial content, and the REAL game is yet to come.

Simply put, it's kind of absurd to claim, right now, that the gap is "going to get bigger" on the basis of Mario Kart having released in 2003 for Gamecube (especially considering that Europe didn't get it until January 2014), when the hyped-to-the-stratosphere Smash is set for release on Wii U this holiday season. This doesn't mean Wii U will do better than Gamecube did, but it's silly to dismiss it as in any way "likely" to sell worse.

Aielyn said:
AnthonyW86 said:
Aielyn said:
Something to keep in mind: Super Smash Bros Melee released not long after the release of the Gamecube. Melee ended up selling to about a third of all Gamecube owners, 7 million. Brawl sold over 12 million copies. And I don't know a single person who pays attention to gaming, has seen what Smash U is offering, and hasn't been interested.

In short, don't rule the Wii U out just yet.

True but Gamecube didn't have Mario Kart yet, Double Dash released in the third holiday. That's why Gamecube shipped over 3 million that holiday. So the gap is only getting bigger the rest of the year.

I think you've missed the point. Gamecube got Mario Kart in its third holiday... which would be the equivalent of this holiday for the Wii U. So by the third holiday, Gamecube had gotten both Mario Kart and Smash Bros. And by the third holiday, Wii U will have gotten both Mario Kart and Smash Bros. The key difference being, Gamecube got Smash near launch, while Mario Kart only made it to Wii U this year.

So if we suppose that the two games were key drivers of system sales on Gamecube, and that their effect was long-term, then Wii U basically lost about a year and a half of driven sales... but with both games on Wii U from November/December, sales should be driven similarly to what was seen on the Gamecube.

Something to think about - Wii U shipped 1.12 million Wii U units in the last six months... by comparison, they shipped 460k in the same period last year. That's more than a 140% increase. For comparison, the Gamecube ratio between 2002 and 2003 was 224%... except, that's in reverse. The April-Sept 2002 sales figures were 224% higher than the April-Sept 2003 figures. And while it might be tempting to blame it entirely on Gamecube launch in PAL regions happening in 2002, the decline was just as visible in Japan and America.

By the way, the other thing that Seece conveniently left out was that Gamecube sold just 80k in April-June 2003. Meanwhile, Wii U sold about 510k in April-June 2014. So for this financial year, the Wii U is ahead 1.12 million to 890k. He also conveniently leaves out that the Gamecube saw a price cut to $99 in North America in September 2003, which would naturally have a short-term boost effect.

Something more to think about - Wii U saw 2.41 million in sales in the first nine months of the last fiscal year. Of those, 460k were in the first half, meaning the third quarter (holiday period) saw 1.95 million units sold. Wii U is now up 140% over the last year for the first half. And while Super Mario 3D World was anticipated, it wasn't exactly highly-hyped. And there was no huge, highly-anticipated title for that holiday season.

Meanwhile, this holiday season has Smash, a game that has a rather extreme amount of hype around it. The 3DS version managed to sell 3.22 million copies before the end of September, despite not even having released outside of Japan in that time... and Nintendo expressing apologies for not supplying enough stock. And I've had more than one person say to me (in real life, this is) that they feel like the 3DS version is really just a demo version for the Wii U - that is, it's only got partial content, and the REAL game is yet to come.

Simply put, it's kind of absurd to claim, right now, that the gap is "going to get bigger" on the basis of Mario Kart having released in 2003 for Gamecube (especially considering that Europe didn't get it until January 2014), when the hyped-to-the-stratosphere Smash is set for release on Wii U this holiday season. This doesn't mean Wii U will do better than Gamecube did, but it's silly to dismiss it as in any way "likely" to sell worse.

It doesn't really matter what game released earlier on what system, Wii-U has SSB coming this holiday and Gamecube hade Mario Kart coming. That means if the Wii-U is selling slower than Gamecube right know, then that's not going to change. If any Mario Kart is actually bigger than SSB, not to mention SSB is available on 3DS aswell this time around. That's means the 3DS is likely to eat away atleast some of the Wii-U SSB sales. You can see the 3DS version as a demo version, but it's also competition.

Wii-U is not going to outsell the Gamecube this holiday, if it's lucky it will get close to the same sales.

GameCube dropped to $99.99 in fall of 2003 I I recall correctly, so there's not much chance the Wii U will be able to beat the GameCube's 2003 holiday. If they are to make ground it will have to start in 2015, but effectively 4 million is about a full year of Wii U sales, so Wii U is about a full year behind the GameCube.