By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - WiiU Overtracked, 300k+, Xbox One-Wii U gap down to 550k?

Xevross said:
eyeofcore said:

7th gen = 8th gen

Markets change and Europa was 80% due to Wii... Wii is gone...

Ok then, lets take away Wii.

PS3+360 in Europe = 58m

PS3+360 in USA = 70m

Europe is 82% of USA in this case

Okay...

Around the Network
tak13 said:
we need ioi to comment on this,he is the expert so he will decide how overtracked is!he should hurry up,to stop venom and mud...ioi could pacify the thread by enlighting us!

ioi can't argue against selling more consoles than have been shipped though. He has always been candid with the tracking methods and he knows and everybody else knows that these are estimates with a margin of error, he would tell you the exact same thing. Missing by 5-6% (lifetime figures) is not a massive fail by ioi and the team; it is actually pretty damn good as far as margins go and he doesn't need to enlighten us since this is common knowledge on the boards.

This is not "venom and mud"; it is actually, truly, really impossible that there isn't some measure of overtracking at play here. There are adjustments all the time; I don't understand why this is so hard to accept and understand (at one point there were adjustments in the order of ~1 million for PS3/360).

Like I wrote in my post in the mod feedback thread; just because someone is unhappy with news or figures we can't very well ban or discourage discussions around these subjects, sales discussions are the bread and butter of vgchartz and calling for the site's owner and main admin to "pacify the thread" is a hopeless statement that he will likely and rightfully ignore (on account of it being presomptious and also the fact that he is well within margins and doesn't need to defend himself publicly for every adjustment he makes). Everyone should report people who derail the discussion, flame, troll or otherwise contribute to a reduction in the quality of any debate but you need to learn to accept bad news, it's not like other fanbases don't get and haven't had their fair share of it, past and present.

eyeofcore said:

You want to believe that they were not...

Americas shipped: 3.43M

USA: 2.77M - NPD / Canada: min 10% of US market 0.277M  / Mexico: + South America: ?

http://www.globalcollect.com/news/press/globalcollect-and-newzoo-brazil-dominates-the-fast-growing-latam-games-market

Brazil + Mexico video game market are worth 2.4B$ together which is 10% of US market, Wii U is apparently most popular 8th gen console in SA(specially Brazil)... So in Americas as of 30th September there could be 3,324M Wii U's sold so 110K stock/ on the shelves...

In Japan as of 28th September there are 1.92M sold(Famitsu) out of 1.97M shipped so 40-50K in stocks...

150-160K Wii U in stocks Americas + Japan...

So Europe has 140-150K Wii U's in stock? Impossible... Europe video game market is half size of US...

Maximum Wii U in stock for Europe is 50-60K ...

So 200-220K max on shelves...

That is completerly wrong!!

WiiU is a no-show here in Brasil, official price is almost as expencive as the XOne with Kinect. You can find 360s and PS3 by less then half the current WiiU price.

WiiU shelf espace is a fraction of Playstation and XBox. Even PC games have more store space.

The XOne dominates the official channels and the PS4 has strong position in the gray market.

PS3 and 360 are also doing just fine now due to price and cheap games (or piracy).

Seece said:

VGC has the Wii U at 7.34m as of October 4th compared to 7.29m shipped at the end of September. This mean we have sold > shipped 50k.

Overtracked at least 300k. If not more.

As I suspected, looking at Nintendo shipping info it's Europe that is overtracked.

VGC has end of September

XB1 sold 5.75m Vs 7.3 - 7.5m shipped
WiiU sold 7.34m Vs 7.39m shippped

Obviously one figure is overtracked and one under!

The gap end of September is likely around 800k, leaving 1.1m - 1.3m XB1's on shelves, and 300k WiiU's on shelves.

Factor in the rest of Oct 4th sales, Oct 11th and Oct 18th (230k in total) and that 800k gap decreases to 570k.

Who cares how many systems are sitting on the shelf unsold?   Why not account for manufactured systems then and count whatever is sitting in Microsoft's warehouse too?  What does this even matter, there is still a gap, XB1 has still sold less than it was expected, it's still not making the money that was expected, it's still struggling.  So is the Wii U.   How about you point out that the XB1 has outsold the Ouya.

I knew it, I knew it, I FRICKING KNEW IT! VGChartz was overtracking the Wii U. Too bad, I wanted it to raise its sales because it has the best line-up this year.

:/ Poor Wii U, 0.6m are really bad sales. Since both Xbox consoles shipped 2.4m, I think it's fair to say Xbox One has shipped at least 1m (if not more).

Around the Network
torok said:
Smear-Gel said:

Im new-ish, are hardware numbers really as way off as they've been these past few months? It's almost making me lose interest in the hardware sales aspect of this site. But people will probably start asking me why i come to a sales site if i dont care about that. That's gonna be fun

Well, 300k off isn't a bad number. It's less than 5% and that's pretty decent for estimates.

I guess. I guess it's just this on top of the Xbone over then undertracking (or vice versa) and PS4's massive ""so is it 10 million?"" debate, everything just seems always wrong now.

I can at least continue to be interested in software sales.  I wonder how Hyrule Warriors is doing.

If we can just get it over with so that the MS and Sony fans can duke it out against each other so we just can enjoy our Wii U's in peace.

tak13 said:
Now i m start thinking that companies should announce sales instead of shipments...it s obligatory,they cause confusion!At least sony are informing us someday...Are we ever going to get sales number from ms and nintendo?i think when both systems will hit 10m?

No they shouldn't. Sold/shipped really isn't hard to understand or confusing if you just take some time to learn what it means. When a company says they sold a certain amount of units, they mean that they sold that amount to retailers. Retailers then sell their stock to consumers.

WiiU and X1 are overtracked, the only undertracked console is Ps4. =P

jokes aside... i thinkChartz should start to use shipped number, because shipped is the only number that all "the big 3" are going to give... sure, the leading console can boost some "real sales numbers" some times, but the other are going to use "shipped" most of time, so... VGchartz better to go whit oficial shipped numbers....

300K? More like 140k. The Wii U sold 7.29 million according to Nintendo.