By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It's Official-ish, PS4 Has the Best Games Lineup for New Gen Home Consoles this Holidays

prayformojo said:
RolStoppable said:
Wii U has the best lineup. 

It DOES have an awesome lineup and that's why I own one but... it's not very diverse. That's my only complaint. Every first party (as in developed in house) game is family friendly. I love ALL types of games, not JUST the MKs and the Pikmins. 

I think Nintendo is fortunate that Sony hasn't pushed more Slys,Rachets, Bandicoots and Sockboys out there and has instead, shifted to mostly dark mature titles. The moment Sony starts trying to go back to the PS2 era where they had it all? It's going to be hard to compete.

I feel compelled to point out that not one of the Slys, Rachets, Bandicoots, and Sackboys were developed in-house either, and half the developers aren't even second-party today. This somewhat lessens (but hardly negates) the first paragraph.

Around the Network

nope

binary solo said:

Metacritic derives its score from a weighted average of the scores from reviews it collects

But the fact is, there is nothing more objective available to base an assesment of which console has the best library of games leading in to the holidays.

The point some are trying to make is that the underlined in the first sentence goes a long way towards defeating the second sentence in its entirety. As in, even if metacritic were in fact the "best" option available, its actual value is low enough to make that prize meaningless.

prinz_valium said:

maybe wait for halo:mcc?
and why are some multiplats in, but some not?

i dont get what this list is about

Which multiplats? If you read the OP you'll see I tried to make sure all multiplats above 80 meta were shown in each column where applicable, but I was a bit less careful about the 79 and below. I picked out a few of the obvious ones that were in the PS4 column and not in the Xb one column but did not do a comprehensive check.

You'll also note, if you read the OP that I mention Halo MCC, LBP and SSB as the big name games that are yet to come out. But as they are one game for each platform they won't change the over all picture at all, unless one of them reviews particularly badly.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

jonathanalis said:
best: wii U.
Unless if the potencial buyer have never had a ps3 or x360.

But if supose this, we have to add the wii games to wii U library because of the backward compatibility. So, wii U wins even for those who skipped 7th gen.

Wii U b/c is worth considering when people are going to buy a console, if they don't currently own a Wii.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Is this a joke thread? I thought at first it was, but now I'm not so sure.

If it is a joke thread, disregard the following question:

Is it your contention that Metacritic scores are objective indicators of quality? In other words, a game with a Metacritic score of 90 is, by definition, better than a game with a Metacritic score of 89? And that a game with a score of 70, however popular and beloved, is a poor game? Are you saying, in the end, that our own personal evaluations of individual games are immaterial, and, by extension, all the debates on this forum are pointless?

Or are you just messing with us?

P.S. Velocity 2X isn't a new IP.

Metacritic is a poor way of directly measuring the quality of titles, and even worse for comparing them (especially when from different genres), but it's a pretty good method of objectively comparing the probable quality of something, especially on larger scales. Even with metacritic's fairly limited sample size, a game with a 70 meta can have multiple 9+ scores.

The 70 should be looked at as the most probable score that a generalize mainstream personality is likely to give it (within a certain degree), rather than an outright measure of quality (the latter being what most unfortunately use it for). To that extent, it's a useful way of objectively comparing two libraries, (though niche titles are always problematic, regardless of scale).

It's utterly useless on a person by person basis though. Generalized probabilities doesn't mean much when you add preference to the mix lol.

Anyway, the way the OP has done the list makes proper quality comparison pointless (for completely different reasons), but i think he's trying to demonstrate quantity. There are other issues with that, but a lot less than with the former.

Regarding my last post...

Worth clarifying that "It's a good reference" was referring to Wikipedia. Metacritic is something I really dispise, and I hate how people use it as "evidence" or "proof" in arguments. Just like how someone shouldn't use Wikipeida in an essay.

Sorry for the confusion.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

Zekkyou said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Is this a joke thread? I thought at first it was, but now I'm not so sure.

If it is a joke thread, disregard the following question:

Is it your contention that Metacritic scores are objective indicators of quality? In other words, a game with a Metacritic score of 90 is, by definition, better than a game with a Metacritic score of 89? And that a game with a score of 70, however popular and beloved, is a poor game? Are you saying, in the end, that our own personal evaluations of individual games are immaterial, and, by extension, all the debates on this forum are pointless?

Or are you just messing with us?

P.S. Velocity 2X isn't a new IP.

Metacritic is a poor way of directly measuring the quality of titles, and even worse for comparing them (especially when from different genres), but it's a pretty good method of objectively comparing the probable quality of something, especially on larger scales. Even with metacritic's fairly limited sample size, a game with a 70 meta can have multiple 9+ scores.

The 70 should be looked at as the most probable score that a generalize mainstream personality is likely to give it (within a certain degree), rather than an outright measure of quality (the latter being what most unfortunately use it for). To that extent, it's a useful way of objectively comparing two libraries, (though niche titles are always problematic, regardless of scale).

It's utterly useless on a person by person basis though. Generalized probabilities doesn't mean much when you add preference to the mix lol.

Anyway, the way the OP has done the list makes proper quality comparison pointless (for completely different reasons), but i think he's trying to demonstrate quantity. There are other issues with that, but a lot less than with the former.

Well, that's just it. All Metacritic tells us is what a few dozen publications thought of the game in question. It gives us a sense of the critical consensus. It doesn't tell us anything about a game's quality, because that is very much a personal evaluation. 

Metacritic is a collection of opinions, not unlike this forum. Sure, Metacritic collects opinions from so-called experts and industry veterans, but in the end those opinions are as rooted in subjective truths as our own. They simply have a byline.

To collect such opinions and present them as objective facts is misguided. 

Delusional people are delusional.

noname2200 said:
binary solo said:

Metacritic derives its score from a weighted average of the scores from reviews it collects

But the fact is, there is nothing more objective available to base an assesment of which console has the best library of games leading in to the holidays.

The point some are trying to make is that the underlined in the first sentence goes a long way towards defeating the second sentence in its entirety. As in, even if metacritic were in fact the "best" option available, its actual value is low enough to make that prize meaningless.

Irregardless of the various failings of metacritic, it's a better metric to use than some random dude posting in an internet forum. There are typically sufficient reviews in a metascore to cancel out various of the most egregious biases. It is particularly effective at negating the influence of the platform preference bias. And in that respect metascore is fairly objective. Platform preference bias can affect metascore by a few points, but the presence of platform preference bias in any given review cannot cause the metascore to alter all that significantly.

But to support your claim that weighted average of selected reviews is sufficiently problematic to make metascore of negligible value you'd have to provide evidence that the contributors to metascore are not a reasonable representation of critics in general; qualitatively or quantitatively. Taking a sample, and weighting the results in an effort to account for certain biases is not in itself a fatally flawed methodology. You need to show either sampling bias, or evaluation bias in Metacritic's methodology in order to show that the best option available is not beter enough to be worth using for any meta meta purpose.

Jimi Hendrix