By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft's Betrayal of 2013

Blob said:

Imagine puppeteer instead of knack.... Although I still think the PS4 was pushed out a year early and Knack and the other games were rushed because of that (Take for instance driveclub and the order that were advertised before launch)

Hey, now ! That's the Mario killer you're talking about!

I don't think the PS4 itself was rushed all that much, aside from some features like share play not being ready for prime time. It's common enough for launch titles to seem rushed and underwhelming. Only Nintendo really has a history of launching a killer app with their consoles, and even then it's just one. As for DriveClub, I get the impression that it had a horribly troubled development cycle independent of the PS4's release date.

Around the Network

One of the most important things when going into the next generation is to transition well. This is what MS failed to do with the 360. Rotating between Gears, Halo, and Forza was not a good strategy while Sony released more exclusives, both new and old IPs. MS's lack of focus in the core audience made much of the 360 userbase wary and skeptical of the company's commitment for the next gen. Those concerns were made even worse after the X1's reveal.

Wright said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
or else people would stick with their 360 consoles.

So it was true when Microsoft said that people are more satisfied with the 360 than the ps3, hence why those users are "less needed" to upgrade to next-gen!

That is not an indicator of Sony, but rather the need to upgrade from the 360 to the Xbox One. Sony closed a gap that was built off of a years head start by the end of the generation. Also, I don't know where OP gets off saying the 360 got nothing because they got Titanfall. Its not like MS makes these games themselves. Most of the time they are getting help and yes they could've moneyhatted, but there is only so much attention you can give to one console before the other starts losing its luster.

The only reason Microsoft has been out this long with the 360 is because they copied Sony's ten year profitability plan and vowed to almost haunt their steps until the end. People seem to forget....but I don't.

"The launch of Natal promises a longer life for the 360--a stance that seems like Microsoft is adopting Sony's outlook on the 10-year console cycle. How much of that strategy comes from the recession making it unwise to launch an expensive console, and how much of that comes from the current success of the 360 not making a new console necessary in a business sense?"

"It's not about copying Sony's model--perhaps we should've said 11-year life cycle instead. [Laughs] There's no question that Sony's benefited from a long life cycle for PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2--that's to their credit and that's an enviable business. And it has nothing to do with the recession. It really has much more to do with your latter point: the innovation and longevity that will be created when Project Natal is added to that mix and the value and the entertainment options that we continue to expand on Xbox Live. The "next generation" will be defined by software and services, not hardware."

http://www.fastcompany.com/1320772/microsofts-shane-kim-project-natal-and-xbox-360-road-map

mornelithe said:
I really hope we get back to a day where a game rated as 79, is given proper respect. Freakin ridiciulous to say it's only 'meh' (or less).

Well, as someone who loved gears 1-3, I would personally say jugement was less than meh.  The game freaking sucked.  79 is a generous meta, it should have pobably been low 60's/50's.  

gergroy said:
mornelithe said:
I really hope we get back to a day where a game rated as 79, is given proper respect. Freakin ridiciulous to say it's only 'meh' (or less).

Well, as someone who loved gears 1-3, I would personally say jugement was less than meh.  The game freaking sucked.  79 is a generous meta, it should have pobably been low 60's/50's.  

Ok, that's a fair criticism, and is really a testament about issues with games media.  But a 79, should be considered a good score :)

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:

I'm not talking about Xbox One or it's policies etc..

I'm talking about the shameful last year for the 360, there was one exclusive that was released in 2013 as we all know was Gears of War: Judgement which was received as 'meh, it's not bad' despite a meta of 79. Even if this game scored a 10/10 it would still be inexcusable.

Xbox360 owners had dozens of great games to play in the last 22 months (the 8th and 9th year of the console), why should they feel betrayed?

And they are getting a lot of other games in the next months. It doesn't really matter, if these games are also coming to other platforms.

For comparison the game support of the Wii in 2012 and 2013:

gergroy said:
mornelithe said:

There is good reason for that. Remember Microsoft was kind of dependent upon Epic to make the game for them and Epic has been trying to get back full time into making PC games instead of focusing so much on Microsoft because of Gears. I'm sure the next Gears will be great because one of the minds who created it (and wasn't involved with Judgement as well) is the director of the latest installment. Judgement was just a reskinned Gears three with the wrong direction.  It was inevitable, MS has to buy the franchise and all the important players that came with it to keep it going on the wheel. I have good faith in the director of the next Gears game.

All this just because Xbox One got another good game.

mornelithe said:
gergroy said:
mornelithe said:

Ok, that's a fair criticism, and is really a testament about issues with games media.  But a 79, should be considered a good score :)

True, whats funny is if it had scored one more point I dont think the op or anybody else would use that meta score negatively because it would all the sudden be a good score.

still, judegment didnt even come close to deserving a 79...

Vasto said:
All this just because Xbox One got another good game.

Huh?  Can you explain that?