By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft to overtake Nintendo in Home Console Sales this Century

Seece said:
TheSource said:

I'll check back in 2099 to see if this thread statement ended up being true. 

Oh we all know your future Nintendo console forecasts Source

I still have them in an excel file somewhere.

show us lol

Around the Network
wary-wallaroo said:

Did you know the X1 is already the best selling third generation Xbox console. It's unmatched!

Anyways, how are they doing against post 2000 Sony sales? Probably a better comparison, wouldn't it? 

Since when was this a comparison? This is a thread about a shift about to take place.

Seece said:
wary-wallaroo said:

Did you know the X1 is already the best selling third generation Xbox console. It's unmatched!

Anyways, how are they doing against post 2000 Sony sales? Probably a better comparison, wouldn't it? 

Since when was this a comparison? This is a thread about a shift about to take place.

There is no real big shift here though. Nintendo hit the gimmick jack pot with the Wiimote for a few years which just delayed the inevitable once iOS/Android proved themselves to be far more mainstream with casuals than even the Wii ever could've dreamed of. 

MS positions themselves as a poor-man's Playstation, Nintendo as a niche console for Nintendo lovers with no support from third parties, not surprising MS' position is moderately more successful in the long run. People don't buy brands, they buy a format, and that means when buying a console they want a wide variety of software, not just one style of gaming. That's been true ever since at least the NES/Sega Master System, where most people chose the NES because it had way more games. 

wary-wallaroo said:

No point. The PS2 sales alone surpass total XBox and/or Nintendo home consoles sales from 2000 onwards.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Ka-pi96 said:
Euphoria14 said:
wary-wallaroo said:

No point. The PS2 sales alone surpass total XBox and/or Nintendo home consoles sales from 2000 onwards.

Really? Wow! PS2 really destroyed everything!

Going by the OP, I would believe so.

Microsoft:

Xbox - 24m
360 - 84.8m (EST)
XB1 - 7.4m (EST)

Total - 116.2m

Nintendo:
N64 - 3.35m
Gamecube - 21.74m
Wii - 101.15m
WiiU - 6.68m

Total - 132.92m

PS2 released in 2000 and shipped over 155m.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Here's the scary thing ... Apple will ship/sell 170+ million iPhones this *year* alone, lol.

That is far and away now the most mainstream gaming device available. Virtually everyone I know who has a smartphone does play a few games on it now and again.

Well if you think about it, they had a lead before too, when they released the Xbox 360 and until the Wii surpassed it.
I don't know, your post seems to suggest as if this will be permanent. But Nintendo will probably overtake MS again next gen.

Shadow1980 said:
Seece said:

360 is already at 84.8m shipped, so that would mean they ship 200k this Q and discontinue! 360 will get to 90m+ over next few years.

Shipped ≠ sold. I did aim a bit short, though, as I was looking at end-2013 sales, not current sales. It sold 1.5M for Q1-Q3 this year according to VGC, so assuming it sells another 1.5M this quarter that'll put it at just shy of 85M. With software support rapidly declining after this holiday, I suspect it will drop hard next year, maybe by at least half, and it will probably be discontinued after the holiday 2015 season. I suspect it'll probably end more along the lines of 87-88M. Still, that's only 2-3M more than my previous estimate. So, if the XBO ends up selling only 27-28M by the end of 2017, that would put total Xbox brand hardware sales at 140 million, right about where I suspect Nintendo sales to be at the time (I'm assuming we're excluding N64 sales in 2001-2003). I think it's going to come down to the wire, and whether or not Xbox sales can pass Nintendo sales for this century will depend on when the next-gen systems are released and how well they do. If Nintendo is first to market again and beats the others by a year, and their next systems is reasonably successful, then Xbox may fall short of taking the lead.

But like I said, that pretty much means you think it'll be discontinued in January. It'll be at 87m shipped after shipping 4m this year, by Dec 31st.

It's dropping but it's not near discontinuation, like I said, 90m+ is a certainty, and what is shipped, will be sold.

That is why talking sold is pointless.

Really? Shipped=Sold? There are thousands of unsold PS2 in this country alone, and only 5 million of them were shipped in this country alone.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

Not taking into account that your numbers are wrong and possibly subjectively picked, they still prove the exact opposite of what you say.

The three gens of xbox has sold 13.37 million units less than Nintendo's three latest home consoles. Even though the xbox one probably will outsell the Wii U, if it keeps going at this rate it won't be by 13.37 million units.