By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft to overtake Nintendo in Home Console Sales this Century

Seece said:
Twilord said:
Seece said:
Twilord said:
Seece said:
Twilord said:

I don't see the Xbone beating the Wii U by enough for that to happen, assuming it does beat the Wii-U. - Once you take that into account, and who knows what MS or Nintendo will do the gen after this.

Obviously Microsoft won't over take Nintendo next gen if it winds up as something like "DRM-Box VS Memory-Installation Neural-Interface". Fliipside being if Sony go under or leave the market Microsoft will probably gain and lot more than Nintendo.

Of course it is, why is this still a discussion here?

Maybe a conversation for another thread ...

I said does, not is - neither console has even half of their big sellers out yet. (Which is a bit embarrasing for the Wii-U, but nonetheless true.)

WiiU does?

3D Mario
2D Mario
Mario Kart
Donkey Kong
Wii Fit
Wii Sports

All that is left is Zelda and Smash, yet sales will still be around 10m after 2 years and 3 holidays and all those franchises.

XB1 will get to 10m in half that time with just Titanfall as a big seller so far.

Wii Sports and Wi Fit aren't system sellers - who other than Nintendo themselves really expected them to be? - As for Donkey Kong, its a good game but Metroid Prime 4 would sell more systems (its less open to everyone but its fanbase will be way more passionate).

3D World was (shamefully since its such a great game) dismissed for not being Mario Galaxy by alot of people, I've met alot of people who will buy a Wii-U if Galaxy 3 is announced and I think Nintendo know of that. 

The games I suspect will be the big system sellers are Xenoblade Chronicles X, Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, Star-Fox, Smash, Zelda U,  Mario Maker, and probably Splatoon OR Devil's Third (I want it to be be Splatoon but I feel like Devil's Third would find it easier to gain traction). That is ofcourse ignoring games we can kind of expect to come out that would sell consoles (Metroid Prime, Galaxy 3, Fatal Frame, F-Zero U).

I'd love to say Yoshi's Woolly World and Kirby's Rainbow Curse would be system sellers, but despite the high caliber we can expect from them I don't expect them to fall in with Donkey Kong as amazing games that get bought alot by system owners but don't especially sell the console.

Can't wait to see how Bayo is doing in the west given that we haven't actually exactly given up on home consoles (unlike in Japan).

I don't even .... Devils Third? Xenoblade? They're as niche as niche gets, they're not going to sell systems. Look at Mario Kart. Sales are up but they're still low, why would you think those games will do anything to push hardware?

Your average multiplat (which will be in abundence throughout 2015) will rise XB1 sales more.

Only ones out of those that will help are Zelda and Smash.

REALLY tempted to troll you and say 'name those multiplats' and then call them niche. - Not going to, just really tempted to troll you because I just saw a new The Young Turks video about it moments ago.

But lets get serious and start by discussing some of the titles you highlighted as niche, Fire-Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei? Independantly perhaps (though Fire-Emblem just had a massive reputation boost) but its a crossover that will likely draw in two extremely passionate fanbases.

Its also important to realize that Xenoblade Chronicles X will be a lot less niche after the original relaunches with The NEW 3DS. For obvious reasons.

Splatoon OR Devil's Third feel like they're likely to sell well because of the people behind them. Nintendo EAD or Tomonobu Itagaki, you just know one of those is gonna practically reinvent the wheel as far as shooters are concerned. My money is on Splatoon but Itagaki is probably more likely to deliver what the industry these days wants, but only one needs to do awesome (despite me wanting both to be from a gaming perspective) for competitive shooting fans to take notice, and given that we already have Smash and a strongly competitive play capable Mario Kart on Wii-U. - Actually given the probablity of the Wii-U effectively building up that scene very effectively I really should have pointed out the neigh inevitable Wii-U release of Pokken. 

As for Zelda being the only one that will sell well, I can't imagine a good Star Fox or Metroid going without love. Fatal Frame also has a Hollywood movie in the works so that is definitely gonna get it an extra bit of interest, not to mention the cumulative effects on its relevance of its western fans probably being desperate to have the series again.

Not saying the WIi-U will outsell the Xbone overall (or even to claim that its the more likely outcome), simply highlighting the fact that the possibility exists and that, at present, trying to jump ahead to the end of this generation (probably about three years from now given recent news that Nintendo are further behind on arranging certain aspects of their next console than was expected). - The Xbone will probably be around after that for atleast another year, but for the sake of this argument this generation ends when the first of them release their next console because the new console launch must be assumed to have wild affects on the overall projections.

Around the Network

Your WiiU/X1 number are wrong.
WiiU is ahead of XBone worldwide

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Ka-pi96 said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
Damn Nintendo getting beat at its own industry

Well what do you expect? They make an inferior product so get outsold.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Yeah, except when it's Sony and MS's machines being outsold by the Wii.. Then it's just "TeH Cazualzzz"

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

The question now is how's next gen gonna go down? Will MS even make a new console?? I reckon that Nintendo will bounce back next gen. However, if the Fusion turns out to be true, Nintendo detractors will disregard it, if it does well enough, because it "won't be a true home console since it's also a portable".

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Home consoles haven't been around for a century. Huge chance they will never be.

Around the Network

Rol's comment is all that really needs to be said about this.

And yeah, I think they will outsell Nintendo by 2100, good topic!

OK

Did you know the X1 is already the best selling third generation Xbox console. It's unmatched!

Anyways, how are they doing against post 2000 Sony sales? Probably a better comparison, wouldn't it? 

It's definitely closer then I expected. Basically the XOne needs to outsell the WiiU by 18Mill or so. I can see:

XOne: 45 - 50 Million LT
Wii U - 25 Million LT

DAMN!

I don't think the Wii U is going to even get to 25 million. Right now even with a good holiday season, I think they're headed to about 18 million LTD for Wii U.

People just aren't willing to buy a home console just to play Nintendo IP on, especially not at such a high price.