By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft to overtake Nintendo in Home Console Sales this Century

Well there is no way that Microsoft will pass Nintendo in home consoles with the XB1 at this current rate. I also highly doubt that Microsoft will continue to invest in a division that has completely fallen on their faces. Nintendo will continue to make great hardware with fresh 1st party games while Microsoft continues to rely heavily on 3rd party games with faulty hardware. So no, they wont pass Nintendo this Century.

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
Seece said:
Normchacho said:

Do you mean not about to happen as to say that your prediction is about to happen? Because it's not. It'll take years for Xbox to close that gap even in the best case scenario.

End of 2016 more than likely, and that is the most realistic scenario not the best.

The Xbox One has a little more than a million console advantage over the WiiU so far this year...Lets say the Xbox has a great rest of the year and pulls out a 3 million gap by the end of the year. How does a console go from selling 3 million more than a competitor one year to beating it by an average of 7 million over 2 years?

Edit: Note that these are using your sales/shipped numbers. Things get worse just going sales to sales.

mmm and why is that?

Shipped is ultimately sold and it's as good a benchmark as any so I'll continue with it.

The gap is 16.72m. (IMO) 360 will finish at 92m LTD, (2014 87m, 2015 90m, 2016 91.5m, 2017 onwards 92m, so another 8m shipped).

Given Wii is about done, it has 500k to 1m left in it, max.

This means by end of 2016 gap decreases to 11.5m~

XB1 will outship WiU next Q (Just like it has every other Q).

Really it's only XB1 outshipping WiiU 5m a year. Given there is an obvious ceiling for WiiU shipments each year, it won't be difficult.

I don't see the Xbone beating the Wii U by enough for that to happen, assuming it does beat the Wii-U. - Once you take that into account, and who knows what MS or Nintendo will do the gen after this.

Obviously Microsoft won't over take Nintendo next gen if it winds up as something like "DRM-Box VS Memory-Installation Neural-Interface". Fliipside being if Sony go under or leave the market Microsoft will probably gain and lot more than Nintendo.

Twilord said:

I don't see the Xbone beating the Wii U by enough for that to happen, assuming it does beat the Wii-U. - Once you take that into account, and who knows what MS or Nintendo will do the gen after this.

Obviously Microsoft won't over take Nintendo next gen if it winds up as something like "DRM-Box VS Memory-Installation Neural-Interface". Fliipside being if Sony go under or leave the market Microsoft will probably gain and lot more than Nintendo.

Of course it is, why is this still a discussion here?

Maybe a conversation for another thread ...

N64 sold 3.35 million ?

you can not be serious..

edit 

I forgot this century lol

but why ?

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network
Jimbo1337 said:
Well there is no way that Microsoft will pass Nintendo in home consoles with the XB1 at this current rate. I also highly doubt that Microsoft will continue to invest in a division that has completely fallen on their faces. Nintendo will continue to make great hardware with fresh 1st party games while Microsoft continues to rely heavily on 3rd party games with faulty hardware. So no, they wont pass Nintendo this Century.

Entirely your opinion, Nintendo has been on a decline for years now and will continue to do so

in my opinion

Meanwhile sony dominates them both

RolStoppable said:
kljesta64 said:

N64 sold 3.35 million ?

you can not be serious..

edit 

I forgot this century lol

but why ?

Consolation prize.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Shadow1980 said:
Well, I'm predicting about 18 million Wii U units sold and about 35-37.5 million XBOs sold globally. That will put combined GC, Wii, and Wii U sales at 139.74 million and assuming the 360 sells 85 million lifetime, combined Xbox, 360, and XBO sales at 144-146.5 million. However, this is ignoring the next generation. I think a likely scenario is Nintendo's ninth-gen system being released in 2017 and the ninth-gen Xbox (if there is one) being released in 2018. I'm projecting less than 30 million XBO units being sold by the end of 2017, which would put combined Xbox brand hardware sales at less than 140 million. If Nintendo's ninth-gen system is released in 2017 and has a good launch and solid first-year sales, that would widen the gap in Nintendo's favor. It will then come down to whether Nintendo's next system proves to be a better global sales force than MS's.

360 is already at 84.8m shipped, so that would mean they ship 200k this Q and discontinue! 360 will get to 90m+ over next few years.

Interesting. It probably won't overtake all of Nintendo's console sales though.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54