By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft to overtake Nintendo in Home Console Sales this Century

RolStoppable said:
It had already happened in 2006, so the only noteworthy thing here is that Microsoft fell so far behind.

Nothing else needed to be said after this post.

Around the Network
Seece said:
Twilord said:

I don't see the Xbone beating the Wii U by enough for that to happen, assuming it does beat the Wii-U. - Once you take that into account, and who knows what MS or Nintendo will do the gen after this.

Obviously Microsoft won't over take Nintendo next gen if it winds up as something like "DRM-Box VS Memory-Installation Neural-Interface". Fliipside being if Sony go under or leave the market Microsoft will probably gain and lot more than Nintendo.

Of course it is, why is this still a discussion here?

Maybe a conversation for another thread ...

I said does, not is - neither console has even half of their big sellers out yet. (Which is a bit embarrasing for the Wii-U, but nonetheless true.)

prinz_valium said:

not the best wording for the thread titel imho :D

"this centuray home console salse"

not  "in home console sales this century"

I agree. Salsa makes every topic title better.

Twilord said:
Seece said:
Twilord said:

I don't see the Xbone beating the Wii U by enough for that to happen, assuming it does beat the Wii-U. - Once you take that into account, and who knows what MS or Nintendo will do the gen after this.

Obviously Microsoft won't over take Nintendo next gen if it winds up as something like "DRM-Box VS Memory-Installation Neural-Interface". Fliipside being if Sony go under or leave the market Microsoft will probably gain and lot more than Nintendo.

I said does, not is - neither console has even half of their big sellers out yet. (Which is a bit embarrasing for the Wii-U, but nonetheless true.)

WiiU does?

3D Mario
2D Mario
Mario Kart
Donkey Kong
Wii Fit
Wii Sports

All that is left is Zelda and Smash, yet sales will still be around 10m after 2 years and 3 holidays and all those franchises.

XB1 will get to 10m in half that time with just Titanfall as a big seller so far.

Ka-pi96 said:
arcane_chaos said:
why not include sales after 2000? I know you're comparing since Xbox release but isn't it a little disservice to nintendo who's been around before 2000

I think the point of this is to show that Microsoft is catching up with Nintendo's lifetime sales. Showing their full lifetime sales wouldn't show that so you show a comparable period. It basically shows that if they both continue to sell at their current rate then Microsoft will be eventually overtake.

No, it doesn't show anything. Even if you only count this century, MS edged out Nintendo with the Xbox-GC generation, then took an ass whippin' after that, and is a this point is neck-and-neck for this gen, not since 2000. What does that prove? Only that you can't predict what will happen from one generation to the next, i.e. this thread is beyond pointless.

Around the Network
Seece said:
Normchacho said:
Seece said:
Normchacho said:

Do you mean not about to happen as to say that your prediction is about to happen? Because it's not. It'll take years for Xbox to close that gap even in the best case scenario.

End of 2016 more than likely, and that is the most realistic scenario not the best.

The Xbox One has a little more than a million console advantage over the WiiU so far this year...Lets say the Xbox has a great rest of the year and pulls out a 3 million gap by the end of the year. How does a console go from selling 3 million more than a competitor one year to beating it by an average of 7 million over 2 years?

Edit: Note that these are using your sales/shipped numbers. Things get worse just going sales to sales.

mmm and why is that?

Shipped is ultimately sold and it's as good a benchmark as any so I'll continue with it.

The gap is 16.72m. (IMO) 360 will finish at 92m LTD, (2014 87m, 2015 90m, 2016 91.5m, 2017 onwards 92m, so another 8m shipped).

Given Wii is about done, it has 500k to 1m left in it, max.

This means by end of 2016 gap decreases to 11.5m~

XB1 will outship WiU next Q (Just like it has every other Q).

Really it's only XB1 outshipping WiiU 5m a year. Given there is an obvious ceiling for WiiU shipments each year, it won't be difficult.

Because your gap grows by 2 million if you cound actual sales.

Shipped is sold eventually, but that doesn't do us a lot of good when talking about a specific time frame.

I'm going to carry on using sales to talk about sales if you don't mind. That also means your 360 numbers are rather inflated. (84.8 vs. 83.3)

So we have a sales vs. sales gap of 19.89 million units.

The 360 likely does another 1-1.5 million in sales this year and then maybe 2 million in total for next year as support for last gen will all but end at the end of this year. Take off antother 1.5 million for 2016 and then add back another lets say 500k for the wii from now till the end of 2016.

Gap is now 15.39 million units.

Xbox One manages to shave another 2 million from that by the end of 2014, gap goes to 13.39 million units.

The Xbox One needs to outsell the WiiU by more than 6.5 million units in both 2015 and 2016.

Won't happen.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
Seece said:
Normchacho said:
Seece said:
Normchacho said:

Do you mean not about to happen as to say that your prediction is about to happen? Because it's not. It'll take years for Xbox to close that gap even in the best case scenario.

End of 2016 more than likely, and that is the most realistic scenario not the best.

The Xbox One has a little more than a million console advantage over the WiiU so far this year...Lets say the Xbox has a great rest of the year and pulls out a 3 million gap by the end of the year. How does a console go from selling 3 million more than a competitor one year to beating it by an average of 7 million over 2 years?

Edit: Note that these are using your sales/shipped numbers. Things get worse just going sales to sales.

mmm and why is that?

Shipped is ultimately sold and it's as good a benchmark as any so I'll continue with it.

The gap is 16.72m. (IMO) 360 will finish at 92m LTD, (2014 87m, 2015 90m, 2016 91.5m, 2017 onwards 92m, so another 8m shipped).

Given Wii is about done, it has 500k to 1m left in it, max.

This means by end of 2016 gap decreases to 11.5m~

XB1 will outship WiU next Q (Just like it has every other Q).

Really it's only XB1 outshipping WiiU 5m a year. Given there is an obvious ceiling for WiiU shipments each year, it won't be difficult.

Because your gap grows by 2 million if you cound actual sales.

Shipped is sold eventually, but that doesn't do us a lot of good when talking about a specific time frame.

I'm going to carry on using sales to talk about sales if you don't mind. That also means your 360 numbers are rather inflated. (84.8 vs. 83.3)

So we have a sales vs. sales gap of 19.89 million units.

The 360 likely does another 1-1.5 million in sales this year and then maybe 2 million in total for next year as support for last gen will all but end at the end of this year. Take off antother 1.5 million for 2016 and then add back another lets say 500k for the wii from now till the end of 2016.

Gap is now 15.39 million units.

Xbox One manages to shave another 2 million from that by the end of 2014, gap goes to 13.39 million units.

The Xbox One needs to outsell the WiiU by more than 6.5 million units in both 2015 and 2016.

Won't happen.

No, because WiiU is overtracked, and XB1 and 360 (certainly) undertracked.

See that's why you end up with skewy numbers when you use the sold figures, because they're not representative. 360 will end up shipping around 4m units this year, far cry from the sales we supposudly have.

X360 won't be any less than 91m end of 2016 and at that point shipment = sell through as 360 will be appoaching the end of its life.

So yeah, XB1 only has to outsell/ship WiiU by 5m a year.

Seece said:
Twilord said:
Seece said:
Twilord said:

WiiU does?

3D Mario
2D Mario
Mario Kart
Donkey Kong
Wii Fit
Wii Sports

All that is left is Zelda and Smash, yet sales will still be around 10m after 2 years and 3 holidays and all those franchises.

XB1 will get to 10m in half that time with just Titanfall as a big seller so far.

Wii Sports and Wi Fit aren't system sellers - who other than Nintendo themselves really expected them to be? - As for Donkey Kong, its a good game but Metroid Prime 4 would sell more systems (its less open to everyone but its fanbase will be way more passionate).

3D World was (shamefully since its such a great game) dismissed for not being Mario Galaxy by alot of people, I've met alot of people who will buy a Wii-U if Galaxy 3 is announced and I think Nintendo know of that. 

The games I suspect will be the big system sellers are Xenoblade Chronicles X, Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, Star-Fox, Smash, Zelda U,  Mario Maker, and probably Splatoon OR Devil's Third (I want it to be be Splatoon but I feel like Devil's Third would find it easier to gain traction). That is ofcourse ignoring games we can kind of expect to come out that would sell consoles (Metroid Prime, Galaxy 3, Fatal Frame, F-Zero U).

I'd love to say Yoshi's Woolly World and Kirby's Rainbow Curse would be system sellers, but despite the high caliber we can expect from them I don't expect them to fall in with Donkey Kong as amazing games that get bought alot by system owners but don't especially sell the console.

Can't wait to see how Bayo is doing in the west given that we haven't actually exactly given up on home consoles (unlike in Japan).

Twilord said:
Seece said:
Twilord said:
Seece said:
Twilord said:

WiiU does?

3D Mario
2D Mario
Mario Kart
Donkey Kong
Wii Fit
Wii Sports

Wii Sports and Wi Fit aren't system sellers - who other than Nintendo themselves really expected them to be? - As for Donkey Kong, its a good game but Metroid Prime 4 would sell more systems (its less open to everyone but its fanbase will be way more passionate).

3D World was (shamefully since its such a great game) dismissed for not being Mario Galaxy by alot of people, I've met alot of people who will buy a Wii-U if Galaxy 3 is announced and I think Nintendo know of that. 

The games I suspect will be the big system sellers are Xenoblade Chronicles X, Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, Star-Fox, Smash, Zelda U,  Mario Maker, and probably Splatoon OR Devil's Third (I want it to be be Splatoon but I feel like Devil's Third would find it easier to gain traction). That is ofcourse ignoring games we can kind of expect to come out that would sell consoles (Metroid Prime, Galaxy 3, Fatal Frame, F-Zero U).

I'd love to say Yoshi's Woolly World and Kirby's Rainbow Curse would be system sellers, but despite the high caliber we can expect from them I don't expect them to fall in with Donkey Kong as amazing games that get bought alot by system owners but don't especially sell the console.

Can't wait to see how Bayo is doing in the west given that we haven't actually exactly given up on home consoles (unlike in Japan).

I don't even .... Devils Third? Xenoblade? They're as niche as niche gets, they're not going to sell systems. Look at Mario Kart. Sales are up but they're still low, why would you think those games will do anything to push hardware?

Your average multiplat (which will be in abundence throughout 2015) will rise XB1 sales more.

Only ones out of those that will help are Zelda and Smash.

So basically, the Xbox One has to outsell the Wii U by 17 million units?

Certainly a possibility. It's too difficult to estimate lifetime sales at this point, particularly the Xbox One's.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens