By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Order: 1886 new not so linear video (Player explores instead of completing objective)

To not have a coop mode is just bizarre to me. I'm not saying its a gears clone but that is the most defining bit of the GOW series with horde and campaign coop. Hopefully its released in dlc down the road.

Around the Network

damn,got excited for a sec. this footage been out for a long while...the release date is coming up soon and will be here before you know it,something new should be around the corner(so you think)

I think it's better if they focus on the story rather the coop mode.

Thanks to that, we'll get a game with a good length ( around 15h)

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Emperorbach said:
great
now tweakup the gameplay to add more variety

What exactly do you think they should tweak in the gameplay?

sundin13 said:
Emperorbach said:
Aerys said:

People are joking about the "too linear " part ? it's not a flaw, a lot of games as linear are great

HONESTLY

ALOT mario games,sonic games and a bunch of excellent games are all extremely linear

if the game can have awesome enviroments,excellentgameplay,great story and c haracters then linearity doesnt matter

Linearity is a red herring. The real issue is lack of gameplay diversity and the "run to the next cutscene" style of the game. While it is early to judge because of how little we have seen (largely R@D's fault for not releasing more gameplay), so far, it has mostly seemed like fairly standard and generic gameplay, broken up by far too many cutscenes (albeit pretty and well directed cutscenes). At this point, it is up to R@D to prove that sentiment wrong...

Could you give me an example of the "far too many cutscenes" thing you're talking about?

Around the Network
FightingSmile said:
Cool I suppose, the game has plummeted down the order (excuse the pun lol) of interest for now. I used to be very hyped for this game (willingly to buy a ps4 just for it) but now it has made second guess myself which doesn't happen rarely

Ima go out on limb here and say you never intended to get this game or a PS4.

One 3 min demo does not a game make. Can we atleast wait for the first review to pass judgment? 

OT im honestly sick of open world games; infamous,  GTA, asscreed, Shadows of morordor, watchdogs , dead rising its crazy how many the industry has been pumping out. I have been craving an awesone LINEAR story driven game this entire gen. This atmosphere and lore are right up my alley so I cant freaking wait.

enditall727 said:

Could you give me an example of the "far too many cutscenes" thing you're talking about?

I think this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaYmu7XVGvM) video is pretty much prototypical, but all gameplay I've seen has been pretty similar.

Skip to about 1:30 and watch the next segment. It starts with a cutscene, then you get about 10sec of gameplay (signified by the HUD's appearance), then about 25sec of cutscene (ending in a pseudo-QTE), then you get about 4 second of gameplay before going into another cutscene lasting about 50seconds, then gameplay for 5seconds.

Thats the end of that segment. As you can see, this suffers from what a lot of games do, which is showing you what is going on instead of letting you experience it yourself. Why do games have to show you a cutscene every time you progress 10 seconds (this often happens with things like climbing/knocking down ladders and simple things like that)? Its much more jarring when you are actually playing, and it makes you feel like you are only playing to trigger the next cutscene. 

This particular video isn't quite as bad, but it still ties gameplay pieces together with cutscenes instead of giving the player any agency. Like, what is actually happening in the game? He hides behind one singular piece of cover and faces wave survival for a few minutes (he even tries to run out at one point and almost gets himself killed, like the game is yelling "you weren't done killing this wave of generic baddies yet! get back to that cover and do the same exact thing for another 30seconds"). When that is done, run over to guy and trigger cutscene. When that is done walk over to water heater (??) and trigger cutscene (with QTE! Look, you actually did something!). When that is done, you get a short, generic shooting section capped with a cutscene....

Cutscenes in games are kind of like exposition dumps in movies/books. Its like the writer though "we can't think of a way to integrate this info into the regular events so we will just take you out of everything for a second to forcefeed you this stuff". They just feel like a cop out, especially when they are used this frequently. Why can't the character have control while some of these cutscenes are happening? Give the player something to do while you guys are chatting. Give the player the tools to perform the actions that the character does in the cutscene (the one where he blows up the water heater)...It frustrates me to no end to see games forgetting all of the unique ways they can interact with their audience and instead just following the lead of another medium.

2008ProchargedGT said:

I have been craving an awesone LINEAR story driven game this entire gen. This atmosphere and lore are right up my alley so I cant freaking wait.

Then play Wolfenstein

This game looks great, not everything has to reinvent the wheel again, reviewers have lost all credibility after claiming Driveclub lacks soul and being bad because it's not open world.

Saddens me that Ryze got so much heat and yet this game doesnt even get the slightest in comparison. At least Ryze was a release day title. And i am not biased. Id probably enjoy either the same. Ryze was aneyegasm and a fan playthrough with actual cool story to it. The order will sell so much more obviously and not get from the media all the crap that Ryze did. Was caught up in the era that everything xbox related was anyiconsumer according to the fanboys and the media. Well done.

Abaddon said:
Saddens me that Ryze got so much heat and yet this game doesnt even get the slightest in comparison. At least Ryze was a release day title. And i am not biased. Id probably enjoy either the same. Ryze was aneyegasm and a fan playthrough with actual cool story to it. The order will sell so much more obviously and not get from the media all the crap that Ryze did. Was caught up in the era that everything xbox related was anyiconsumer according to the fanboys and the media. Well done.

Uh, you may not be biased, but you seem to have reading issues.  There are no few complaints in this thread (and every single thread about this particular demo, going back to when this demo was launched), for lack of gameplay innovation, qte's, no open world, etc...