500k to 750k 112 21.41%

750k to 1.0m 50 9.56%

1.0m to 1.25m 37 7.07%

1.25m to 1.50m 23 4.40%

>1.5m 50 9.56%

see results 142 27.15%

Total:521
forest-spirit said:
Selling more than shipped, like a champ.

Returns and resales!

Around the Network

Doesn't matter as long as they made a profit.
Gamecube sold just 22 million, but made more profit for Nintendo than PS2 for Sony.

Should just accept that the Wii U failed as an idea, and Nintendo can try again next gen. In the mean time they should just focus on remaining financially stable.

Honestly this partisan obsession with how much consoles 'your company' is selling is ridiculous. So far the Wii U is killing it in terms of exclusives and that's all I care about.

ICStats said:
benji232 said:
Yakuzaice said:
mii-gamer said:
Did they make a profit?

For the quarter, yes.  For the half they still have a small loss in Operating Income, but profit in Ordinary and Net Income.

They made a net profit for the first half of their FY14. So yes, they are currently in the black.

The exchange rate related "profit" needs to be treated carefully.

Net assets March 31th: ¥1,118,438 Million == USD $10,876 Million
Net assets Sep 30th: ¥1,130,054 Million == USD $10,305 Million

It's a ¥11,616 Million gain in Yen, but a $571 Million loss in US Dollars.

Yeah but... that doesn't really matter, since it's a Japan based company.

Hedra42 said:
Dunban67 said:
Hedra42 said:
Dunban67 said:
Hedra42 said:

Still want to understand how you're calculating that figure of 300k. Not disputing it, but I like to see substance.

He is giving you substance - there is no exact number to source re world wide retail stock on shelves-  it is an estimate - if you go to your local walmart, Best Buy, gamestop you will see Wii u s for sale and some number will be in stock -   How much stock do you think all the retail channels world wide hold?   

No he's not giving substance, because he can't. There is no substance, because you cannot go by estimations on the previous year, and you cannot gauge worldwide retail stock on what you see in your local store. What I see in my local retail store is very different from what most people living in North America will see in theirs. There's no denying the VGC estimate is over, because after all, a LTD sold-through figure cannot be greater than a company's confirmed shipment figure.

The only figure that can be relied upon in any of the threads that have popped up today discussing this subject, is the figure that has been provided by Nintendo. VGC's figure is an estimate. Everybody else's claims for how much it is out by, and the number of consoles sitting around on shelves, are estimates, but unfortunately, those claims have not always been presented as such.

There is no source for an exact number- all of these numbers including the earnings are snapshots in time that provide reference points.  It seems you don t like what you are hearing and want to pretend the retail channel does not exist and of it does Nintendo does not ke any Wii u s in it.  The 300k number may be 250k or maybe it's 440k but based on last year and following these types of numbers the consensus is in the 300k range - but as you said last year s miner would not be the same as this years number so this year s number is probably higher than last due to higher sales of the Wii u in the comp 7 months-   

I hope you understand the process and substance of these numbers-  I think you have plenty of info from multiple sources to get it-  otherwise I don t think you want to get it 

I'm not talking about snapshots in time providing reference points - I'm talking LTD shipment as confirmed by Nintendo being the only solid fact, and everything else in this thread being assumptions. Like your assumption that I don't like what I hear, or your assumption that I want to pretend the retail channel does not exist, etc. Don't make assumptions about me, or what you think I don't want, like, etc, because they are 100% wrong.

As per the bolded, I'm talking about how sometimes, some of the assumptions over the figures have been presented as if they were fact, without being backed by any substance. That is the problem I've been having with these discussions.

I think that since we both agree that the claims are estimates, there is no more reason for us to butt heads, so please let my statement that they are purely estimates, stand.

I agree they are estimates - there is no source for an exact number of units in the channel -  but I don t agree the numbers are without substance -   Virtually all the numbers on wall st are estimates that billions are made and lost every day - even Nintendo s and any other large companies earning are approximations aka estimates  because of the dynamic nature  of money and business-   

To say  that an estimate of 300k Wii u s in the sales channel is w out substance is wrong -  it is based on real information 

do you think earning estimates for publicly traded companies are with out substance?    

So I take it WiiU has been heavily overtracked in Pal/Other regions, probably less than 500k for both in the whole year.

WiiU should be ajusted to 7.1m or so, I'd still say that 10m by January is possible.

3DS has no chance of selling the forcasted number, it needs 10 from October to March, last year it did less than 9, its impossible.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Ninsect said:
sort of off-topic but since someone mentioned Iwata's cancer: There is some chance that, despite saying he is getting healthier after the surgery, the cancer may still linger. Bile duct cancer has a terrible prognosis

No one ever called it cancer. He had a tumor, which can mean other things.

I know that obviously but benign tumors in the bile duct are very rare and since he had to go to surgery it's even more likely that it's malignant. The real question is whether it had already metastasized to other organs.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

JohnMeyers said:
Doesn't matter as long as they made a profit.
Gamecube sold just 22 million, but made more profit for Nintendo than PS2 for Sony.

Honestly this partisan obsession with how much consoles 'your company' is selling is ridiculous. So far the Wii U is killing it in terms of exclusives and that's all I care about.

Bold: Source? I hope you're not including GBA with that profit...

Italic: Why did you sign up on VGC?

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Ninsect said:
JohnMeyers said:

It's possible to have an interest in sales without enlisting in the console wars.

I came to VGChartz for the charts, I didn't have to sign up to get those. I signed up to talk about video games with other people who like to talk about video games.

the_dengle said:
Ninsect said:
JohnMeyers said:

It's possible to have an interest in sales without enlisting in the console wars.

Bolded the important bit. If exclusives is all he cares about (as in, he doesn't care about the sales), why is he here? I'd understand if he only posted in gaming threads but now he is posting in a sales thread

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Ninsect said:

Bolded the important bit. If exclusives is all he cares about (as in, he doesn't care about the sales), why is he here? I'd understand if he only posted in gaming threads but now he is posting in a sales thread

But there's a difference between having a passing interest in how well a company is doing and having a "partisan obsession" with them. Can't speak for him of course but he may have simply misspoken by saying that's all he cares about. Obviously to be in this thread he must have at least some small curiosity relating to sales.