1.25m to 1.50m 23 4.40%

>1.5m 50 9.56%

see results 142 27.15%

Total:521
Dunban67 said:
Hedra42 said:
Dunban67 said:
Hedra42 said:

No he's not giving substance, because he can't. There is no substance, because you cannot go by estimations on the previous year, and you cannot gauge worldwide retail stock on what you see in your local store. What I see in my local retail store is very different from what most people living in North America will see in theirs. There's no denying the VGC estimate is over, because after all, a LTD sold-through figure cannot be greater than a company's confirmed shipment figure.

The only figure that can be relied upon in any of the threads that have popped up today discussing this subject, is the figure that has been provided by Nintendo. VGC's figure is an estimate. Everybody else's claims for how much it is out by, and the number of consoles sitting around on shelves, are estimates, but unfortunately, those claims have not always been presented as such.

There is no source for an exact number- all of these numbers including the earnings are snapshots in time that provide reference points.  It seems you don t like what you are hearing and want to pretend the retail channel does not exist and of it does Nintendo does not ke any Wii u s in it.  The 300k number may be 250k or maybe it's 440k but based on last year and following these types of numbers the consensus is in the 300k range - but as you said last year s miner would not be the same as this years number so this year s number is probably higher than last due to higher sales of the Wii u in the comp 7 months-   

I hope you understand the process and substance of these numbers-  I think you have plenty of info from multiple sources to get it-  otherwise I don t think you want to get it 

I'm not talking about snapshots in time providing reference points - I'm talking LTD shipment as confirmed by Nintendo being the only solid fact, and everything else in this thread being assumptions. Like your assumption that I don't like what I hear, or your assumption that I want to pretend the retail channel does not exist, etc. Don't make assumptions about me, or what you think I don't want, like, etc, because they are 100% wrong.

As per the bolded, I'm talking about how sometimes, some of the assumptions over the figures have been presented as if they were fact, without being backed by any substance. That is the problem I've been having with these discussions.

I think that since we both agree that the claims are estimates, there is no more reason for us to butt heads, so please let my statement that they are purely estimates, stand.

I agree they are estimates - there is no source for an exact number of units in the channel -  but I don t agree the numbers are without substance -   Virtually all the numbers on wall st are estimates that billions are made and lost every day - even Nintendo s and any other large companies earning are approximations aka estimates  because of the dynamic nature  of money and business-   

To say  that an estimate of 300k Wii u s in the sales channel is w out substance is wrong -  it is based on real information 

do you think earning estimates for publicly traded companies are with out substance?    

You're missing my point entirely. The problem I have, is that these figures are being stated as if they were fact, not estimates. That was why I asked Seece how he came to that figure, which, by the way, I never disputed, and he has chosen not to answer.

We will leave it at that.

Around the Network

Nintendo's first profitable Q3 since 2010. Hopefully a good sign for the future.

(thanks gaf)

My prediction for Wii U was wrong.

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Ka-pi96 said:

Wow, things have changed alot since the Wii/DS days.

your powers of observation are

the_dengle said:

Nintendo's first profitable Q3 since 2010. Hopefully a good sign for the future.

(thanks gaf)

Hmm, since their first loss tho, the losses have got bigger and the profits (when there are some) less.

Around the Network
Hedra42 said:

You're missing my point entirely. The problem I have, is that these figures are being stated as if they were fact, not estimates. That was why I asked Seece how he came to that figure, which, by the way, I never disputed, and he has chosen not to answer.

There are a few points to consider.

The system is available in most parts of the world (and in nearly all of the parts where the gaming market is important)
That means there are multiple ten thousands of shops where the WiiU has to be avaliable, even if it's just one unit.
One unit is nothing for a store. You can be sure they already have been ordering new ones that are being shipped right now. Those are included in the quarterly report but aren't even visible on the shelves.
We have the WiiU selling ~45k each week in September.
It takes weeks for a console (or any other item) to reach the point of destination via ship (from Japan to the US or Europe).
Retailers know that and therefore have enough in stock for a few weeks.

300k isn't a fact, but it's a damn good estimate of what should be in stock in the shops around the world and what's currently on the way to retailers.
Other consoles (or handhelds) sell more on a weekly basis and their ship vs. sold difference therefore NEEDS to be much higher than 300k, which in itself isn't even a huge number.

Barozi said:
Hedra42 said:

There are a few points to consider.

The system is available in most parts of the world (and in nearly all of the parts where the gaming market is important)
That means there are multiple ten thousands of shops where the WiiU has to be avaliable, even if it's just one unit.
One unit is nothing for a store. You can be sure they already have been ordering new ones that are being shipped right now. Those are included in the quarterly report but aren't even visible on the shelves.
We have the WiiU selling ~45k each week in September.
It takes weeks for a console (or any other item) to reach the point of destination via ship (from Japan to the US or Europe).
Retailers know that and therefore have enough in stock for a few weeks.

300k isn't a fact, but it's a damn good estimate of what should be in stock in the shops around the world and what's currently on the way to retailers.
Other consoles (or handhelds) sell more on a weekly basis and their ship vs. sold difference therefore NEEDS to be much higher than 300k, which in itself isn't even a huge number.

And this, is exactly how it should be presented. Clearly shown that it is an estimate, with some decent information to back it up. If it had been done so in the first place, there'd have been less tensions and flaming than there has been today. Thank you for the enlightening post.

Seece said:
the_dengle said:

Hmm, since their first loss tho, the losses have got bigger and the profits (when there are some) less.

Not really consistently. If you focus on Q1 their losses have been growing. If you focus on Q2 their losses peaked in 2011 and were shrinking through 2012 and 2013, with 2014 falling between 12 and 13. If you focus on Q3 they were pretty much even from 2011-2013. Likewise profits have fallen every Q4 starting in 2009, but 2012 and 2013 look nearly equal, and their profit this Q3 suggests they should have bottomed out. This Q4 will probably be more profitable than the last 2 at least.

Ka-pi96 said:

Yay, I impressed someone

Do I get a cookie?

Shoot, you should've asked sooner. I just ate the last one.

I guess I have some cereal bars if that's okay.

JohnMeyers said:
Doesn't matter as long as they made a profit.
Gamecube sold just 22 million, but made more profit for Nintendo than PS2 for Sony.

Should just accept that the Wii U failed as an idea, and Nintendo can try again next gen. In the mean time they should just focus on remaining financially stable.

Honestly this partisan obsession with how much consoles 'your company' is selling is ridiculous. So far the Wii U is killing it in terms of exclusives and that's all I care about.

no it didn't

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Ka-pi96 said:

But that's not a cookie. That's not even close to a cookie

Okay fine geez I have some oreos

hope you like double stuf