By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - HOLD IT! Smash Bros. is 1080P? AND 60 FPS?

OMG 1080P 60FPS with 8 players?

OMG! 205 36.87%

OMG! 33 5.94%

OMG! 56 10.07%

OMG! 45 8.09%

See results - OMG! 215 38.67%

Total:554

It's not like it's that taxing of a game. If Nintendo couldn't get 1080x60 out of this then that'd be thread worthy.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
The screenshots have always been 1080p, indicating that this was the case, but still it's weird; they have targeted 720p in almost every other first party title, why shoot for 1080p with Smash?

Because Sakurai and Smash is the most important Nintendo IP (its a collection and history of Nintendo

Burning Typhoon said:
Uh... I mean, it's smash. Not like it's something really demanding too much from the Wii U. What I don't understand is why 1080p is such a big deal...

My HDTV is, quite honestly, an older one, and it's a 42 inch 720p HDTV. So even if the game was 1080p I wouldn't be able to see it. Part of the reason I don't own a PS4. I just don't care about the resolution. I only care about 60 FPS when it's a fighting game, or a platforming type.

But, Smash is BOTH a platforming and a fighting game. I wont touch a fighting game that isn't running 60FPS. And most of the games I've played in my life have been 60 Frames per second. Be it Sonic 1, 2, 3 & knuckles, Street Fighter 3, Marvel Vs Capcom 1 or 2, (not mvc3, I hate it, and it doesn't consistently stay at 60 on PS3) and a ton of other games.

Now, everyone wants to throw out 60 frames per second like it's this new crazy thing. Ignoring the fact that EVERY smash game has been 60 frames per second. This one had better be 60. It's a fighting game. It's normal for fighting games to be 60 frames.

It's got 8 players though. 

See Ubisoft! Someone is putting time and effort into their games!

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

BraveNewWorld said:
It's not like it's that taxing of a game. If Nintendo couldn't get 1080x60 out of this then that'd be thread worthy.

With 8 players? Huge stages? 

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
curl-6 said:
The screenshots have always been 1080p, indicating that this was the case, but still it's weird; they have targeted 720p in almost every other first party title, why shoot for 1080p with Smash?

Well... Brawl was 480p 60fps which was the highest res you can get on the wii so it makes sense

Nearly all Wii games ran at 480p though; most Wii U games don't run at 1080p.

What I meant was, why shoot for 1080p with Smash Bros but shoot for 720p with Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, etc?

Clyde32 said:

It's got 8 players though. 

I know, I wasn't done with my post....

Clyde32 said:
BraveNewWorld said:

With 8 players? Huge stages? 

And huge bosses like Ridley

Wow, that's awesome news.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

mZuzek said:
If 1080p 60fps with 8 players simultaneously on that huge Palutena's Temple level for a Wii U game isn't impressive, I've no idea what is.

It's certainly impressive for a WiiU game.

People are still going to argue though. Some Nintendo fans will act as if it's one of the most technically impressive achievements of the last decade (as was demonstrated with MK8, lol), and some non-Nintendo fans will in turn try to downplay it past the point of reason. Yay, fanboys o/