By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - HOLD IT! Smash Bros. is 1080P? AND 60 FPS?

OMG 1080P 60FPS with 8 players?

OMG! 205 36.87%

OMG! 33 5.94%

OMG! 56 10.07%

OMG! 45 8.09%

See results - OMG! 215 38.67%

Total:554
curl-6 said:

Nearly all Wii games ran at 480p though; most Wii U games don't run at 1080p.

What I meant was, why shoot for 1080p with Smash Bros but shoot for 720p with Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, etc?

I think it's more a case of it being pretty easy to implement, so why not?

I mean, with all the assets they're sharing with the 3DS version, they're practically the same games when running. I'm sure they're using the same character models just with higher res textures. That's a lot of leftover power on the Wii U, and it probably wasn't too difficult to get it up to 1080 at that point. Besides, the higher resolution does generally benefit fighting games in a way it doesn't benefit many other genres.

Around the Network

This is beyond epic... Probably the best looking fighter right now...

Only fighter that looks better than this is probably KI for the Xbone.

Ubisoft: "Should have made it 900p to stop all the debates. And 30 fps to provide the best cinematic experience"

Olivernintentoal said:
Yeah, ok, ok, I guess the WiiU has a little power under its very small hood after all. So...why don't the PSONE do this? ;)

Uhmm... the PSOne was just a smaller PS1. It wasn't designed to do 1080p and 60 fps.

But if you're referring to PS4 and X1. They do and more often.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

curl-6 said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Well... Brawl was 480p 60fps which was the highest res you can get on the wii so it makes sense

Nearly all Wii games ran at 480p though; most Wii U games don't run at 1080p.

What I meant was, why shoot for 1080p with Smash Bros but shoot for 720p with Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, etc?

My first thought was that maybe they just brute forced it for the hell of it (it's a fighting game after all, the WiiU would have a lot of room left at 720p/60fps), but seeing as NSMBU was 720p, i can see why you'd be curious... if they could brute Smash, they sure as hell could NSMBU.

I wonder if maybe they thought it was necessary for the 8 player mode to be enjoyable? 8 players with the camera zoomed out could get pretty disorientating at 720p. Having lots of small on-screen objects to track is the perfect example of a time when 1080p can be a huge benefit (rather than just standard clarity).

Around the Network

I don't trust playeressence ...

The site has a reputation as a haven for some controversial promotion for Nintendo and I find it extremely strange they're the only ones that reported this but not only that, playeressence is a low tier gaming site so I doubt the reps at Nintendo would give them their time of the day too.

Yeah, I'll wait on Digital Foundry's analysis before jumping into a bandwagon that might end up getting crashed ...

Well to be fair,it's a 3ds tier game.

Don't expect 100k polygoned models or something like that

fatslob-:O said:

The site has a reputation as a haven for some controversial promotion for Nintendo and I find it extremely strange they're the only ones that reported this but not only that it's a low tier gaming site so I doubt the reps at Nintendo would give them their time of the day too.

Yeah, I'll wait on Digital Foundry's analysis before jumping into a bandwagon that might end up getting crashed ...

In think it could potentially be a variable 60fps or locked 30fps in some situations (depends how much time they spend optimization the game around the 8 player mode), but i'd be surprised if the standard 4 player mode wasn't 1080p/60fps(locked). They've confirmed it's 1080p, and Smash has always been 60fps, so it seems likely.

Zekkyou said:
fatslob-:O said:

The site has a reputation as a haven for some controversial promotion for Nintendo and I find it extremely strange they're the only ones that reported this but not only that it's a low tier gaming site so I doubt the reps at Nintendo would give them their time of the day too.

In think it could potentially be a variable 60fps or locked 30fps in some situations (depends how much time they spend optimization the game around the 8 player mode), but i'd be surprised if the standard 4 player mode wasn't 1080p/60fps(locked). They've confirmed it's 1080p, and Smash has always been 60fps, so it seems likely.

Give me an actual link where we see Nintendo confirming this. 

Playeressence is the one of the most fanboy Nintendo site on the internet, you can even get banned for saying something remotely negative about them.

They "confirmed" that MK8 was 1080, 60fps, that's their credibility.

Still, I do remember Nintendo announcing this when the game was first unveiled 2 on E3 2013.