By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mewtwo is on his way to Smash

garretslarrity said:
osed125 said:

Unless you are either, 1- A hardcore Pokemon fan or 2- A massive Mewtwo fan in Melee, it's a pretty shitty thank you reward if you ask me, you are basically paying $100 (assuming you bought both games at full price) for a single character. It would be better to call this a 'bonus' (a small one at that) rather than a 'thank you' reward.

I go into the second group, that's why this pisses me off so much, since I simple won't buy Smash Bros. for 3DS.

Yep.  Because the only thing you get from spending that $100 is one character.

I'm not talking in any way about content, but hey in the end they are essentially the same game, and in my opinion the only big significant advantage the 3DS has is the 'Smash on the go' thing, for the rest, they are either the same or waaaaaay superior on the Wii U, heck even Nintendo acknowledges that.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:

I think its kinda sad that one of the only "thank yous" for having both versions is 1 character that will release next year lol.

Having all 3DS stages on WiiU (for offline play only) would have been something awesome. But I guess Mewtwo is better than nothing.

You also get the soundtracks for both the 3ds and Wii U versions free when you get both and register them at club Nintendo. So two soundtracks and an exclusive character. I don't think that's bad. In fact it's pretty freaking AWESOME!

osed125 said:
garretslarrity said:
osed125 said:

Unless you are either, 1- A hardcore Pokemon fan or 2- A massive Mewtwo fan in Melee, it's a pretty shitty thank you reward if you ask me, you are basically paying $100 (assuming you bought both games at full price) for a single character. It would be better to call this a 'bonus' (a small one at that) rather than a 'thank you' reward.

I go into the second group, that's why this pisses me off so much, since I simple won't buy Smash Bros. for 3DS.

I'm not talking in any way about content, but hey in the end they are essentially the same game, and in my opinion the only big significant advantage the 3DS has is the 'Smash on the go' thing, for the rest, they are either the same or waaaaaay superior on the Wii U, heck even Nintendo acknowledges that.

What about the soundtracks you get for both games you get for buying both, and the Smash Run exclusive to the 3DS title. Come on now, in no way are you not getting your moneys worth.

bigtakilla said:
osed125 said:
garretslarrity said:

What about the soundtracks you get for both games you get for buying both, and the Smash Run exclusive to the 3DS title. Come on now, in no way are you not getting your moneys worth.

Never cared that much about the soundtrack but is indeed a cool reward for those who are into it, no objections there. Smash Run...meh, looks ok, but the fact you can't play online (I think?) is a huge disappointment. But in any case, Smash Run alone doesn't justify the price in my opinion.

Nintendo and PC gamer

bigtakilla said:
JazzB1987 said:

I think its kinda sad that one of the only "thank yous" for having both versions is 1 character that will release next year lol.

Having all 3DS stages on WiiU (for offline play only) would have been something awesome. But I guess Mewtwo is better than nothing.

You also get the soundtracks for both the 3ds and Wii U versions free when you get both and register them at club Nintendo. So two soundtracks and an exclusive character. I don't think that's bad. In fact it's pretty freaking AWESOME!

Don't forget we have been playing Smash Bros for almost a month now and will for another month before any Wii U owner will.  Plus even after Wii U version is out I can still play the 3DS version on the bus, train, plane, car, during lunch break, ect.  Something I can't do with only the Wii U version.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Skidonti said:

Then, although I understand that your enjoyment of a game isn't separate from the context, and you will have to recognize that some other people can play Mewtwo when you can't, I hope you enjoy it just as much as you would otherwise because it's the exact same game it would have been otherwise. Mewtwo is a thank you, and hopefully may be offered to a wider audience, probably for a small price.

Out of curiousity, do you take the same stance regarding pre-order and/or retailer-exclusive DLC?

Yeah in essence. Not day 1 DLC though, that's more complicated.
But a reward for being an early supporter (and taking a risk on a preorder), which is usually more valuable than walking by the game and picking it up out of the bargain bin a couple months down the line? I think that's reasonable. For my own sake I'd prefer pre-order benefits be minimal and it should be a "buy within first month" thing instead.
The retailer exclusive is a bit of a annoyance when there are DLCs exclusive to more than one retailer and you have to chose your retailer. In those instances it's impossible for you to get every bonus. Also in some ways I don't like being told which retailer to go to because I'm not very fond of retailers, but I'm not loyal to a particular one either.

Mewtwo is more questionable than those, because it actually requires you to spend more money, and Smash 3DS and WiiU are such similar games that it's almost like buying the same thing twice... but each version has different reasons to purchase it and I know a fair amount of people who are buying both (me, eventually), so its nice.

Honestly, I think this isn't the best way to encourage the purchase of both games. I'd prefer an eshop credit deal. Hopefully Mewtwo is availabe for purchase as well.

You guys are still complaining about Mewtwo? According to this tweet, Nintendo has basically "implied" that Mewtwo will be paid DLC after the "promotional period" so if you don't want to own both games in order to get Mewtwo... You don't have too...

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/525415355280543744/photo/1

"WARNING! Mewtwo arrives in spring 2015! Register both versions in a promotional period & get him for free! #SmashBros"

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

omg my favourite pokemon ever. I just might get smash day one now. I never liked it all too much but adding lovable characters from my childhood is swaying me so much.

Systems Owned: PS1, PS2, PS3,PS4, Wii, WiiU, xbox, xbox 360, xbox one

noname2200 said:

In a world of exclusive DLC - amongst other shitty anti-consumer game industry practices - I don't think it's unreasonable at all to believe that purchasing two copies of the game may be the sole manner of getting te character, even if it's not the safe bet either.

DING DING DING

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

"WARNING! Mewtwo arrives in spring 2015! Register both versions in a promotional period & get him for free! #SmashBros"

MORE DING DING DINGS

Yeah, I'm sure after the promotional period ends, this extra character they spent 5 months working on will be unavailable for use! Permenantly! That's consistent with the way Nintendo or anyone else in the industry has used DLC thus far!

I've never liked Mewtwo.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54