By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Your reasons for the PS4 winning this generation despite being the most powerful console.

I think it's Nintendo and MS's missteps and Sony making all the right move. You don't have to work at it very hard when your competition shot themselves in the foot at the start of the race.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

Gaming markets are frequently changing, always keep this in mind. PS4 will win because it basically caters to every kind of "new gamer". By new gamer I mean the new gaming generation in which its taste has changed. It will have everything you'll need besides Mario, Zelda, and Smash Bros. so in that case, it has all your FPS, JRPGS, WRPGS, and their online store doesn't make you purchase what you already own. PS4 is a smart console. They managed to hit a great price point, the most powerful hardware, and it looks like it isn't even breaking a sweat. Hey, as long as I have my Dragon Quest XI that Horii implied we'll get, I don't care WHO wins.

Hardcore_gamer said:
daredevil.shark said:
1. Goodwill.
2. Respecting gamers by standing against DRM.
3. Powerful system at a cheaper price.
4. Playstation first party track record.
5. 2008-2013 support for games rather than chasing casuals / non-gamers.

Sony dropped DRM when they saw reaction people had against Microsoft and Sony respecting gamer I'm sure they did respect gamer when they released PS3 and said get second Job if you want to buy PS3  . most of companies made a mistake and disrespect gamers at the end didn't stop people buying PS3 last generation ps3 slowly catch up against Xbox 360 same will happen for xbox one it will catch up and will take over USA and UK

1. That would imply PS4 had DRM before. Any evidence for that?

2.They never told their customers to get a second job. Kutaragi said they'd want to make PS3 a console that people would want to work extra hours to afford

It's cheaper, more powerful, thus gets better looking games. Has a bunch of heavy weight indies behind it and the online is cheaper. That said, I still have a Wii U ^^

The Fury said:
Price, popularity of brand, not calling us thieves.

that pretty much says it all

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:

I'm sorry, what's your point?  The OP said that the strongest usually loses.  The strongest doesn't usually lose, the most expensive one does.

However, the PS3 did narrowly beat the 360 while costing 50% more at launch.  Honestly if the PS4 was $400, and the X1 was $300 (Like it should be) then yeah things would be different, but I don't think the PS4 would be losing.  It would simply be a closer race.

It's kinda too late for a price drop to make a massive difference now though.  It is common knowledge that the PS4 is noticably more powerful and better supported, so why not just spend the extra $100 and get the better system.  That $100 buys people peace of mind at this point.

I'm agreeing with your initial point. The OP attributed losing the generation to having more power, while the problem is price. Well, putting the things in the 360 vs PS3 perspective, then maybe the PS4 would win anyway. But I think the 3RL problem damaged the 360. Until the Jasper units, buying the consoles was a lottery and that damaged a lot its image.

I've been reading a lot of comments about power vs. winning the console generation. To me, it's a mere correlation. Power does not cause consoles to not sell as well as the market leader of their respective generations. In addition, you also need to consider the architecture of those consoles that were more powerful. The PS3 is a prime example of this. While it was more powerful than the 360, it was also a lot more complex to develop games for that system.

"It has the best games out there"

-- that is what people should be writing....

Is not an Xbox One

Because MS and Nintendo fucked up bad...