By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Slim to be announced at E3 2015

This is the stupidest article I have seen in a long time.

1.) Sony knows it'd flop, they have first hand experience with the PSPGO which ruined their PSP brand. They will not make the same mistake.
2.) Paying for a big enough SSD for digital only console is $$$ suicide
3.) If there was a die shrink we would know about it for both consoles.
4.) SDD doesn't improve resolution, the only thing it might improve is texture load times.  (Usess an SSHDD)

BOGUS

Around the Network
poklane said:
Sony shouldn't even think about making a digital only console until they've fixed the ridiculous prices.

hey look.  PvZ:GW is $10 cheaper on psn than amazon...com

http://www.amazon.com/Plants-Zombies-Garden-Warfare-PlayStation-4/dp/B00KLMOY4K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413917573&sr=8-1&keywords=plants+vs+zombies+ps4

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/21/sale-of-the-dead-daylight-outlast-and-more-on-sale/

Sadly network throughput isn't distributed the same way around the world. Luckily for me I work and play around 4G LTE network.

cpg716 said:
I could see both Sony and Microsoft offering DIGITAL only consoles (without Blu-Ray) at some point.. Maybe for late 2016.. I do think it will be offered along side ones with Blu-Ray though.. Maybe $50 less for the digital only.. So in 2016.. we could see two versions (3 for Xbox One) of each console.. PS4 Slim $299, PS4 Blu-Ray $349.. X1 Slim $279 X1 Blu-Ray $329 and X1 w/kinect $399...

Also.. NO ONE would ever announce a NEW console version at E3 and then release it AFTER the holidays.. That would kill sales for the holidays for people waiting for the update..

Not only is this just impossible, its also impractical. Things to consider are this.

1. It cost more money than you may think having two or more SKUs in circulation in the market. Even if the differences are hardrive sizes. Not to mention the differences being that one has a disc drive and the other doesn't
  2. To justify the production of a discles version of any console, then there must be data backing it that more people are buying digital than there are buying a disc. If a disc copy of a game sells 5M copies, then the digital version of the same game sells 1M copies, making a digital console means that you are building to address ~20% of the market. Thats not worth the extra investment, Especially when every console with a discdrive could just as easily pass for a digital only console too.
  3. You are not going to be saving as much money as you may think. The 500GB HDD in the PS4 costs sony $23 ($0.046/GB). The Blu-ray drive costs $25. If you take out the Blu-ray drie and go all digital you will  need to compensate with a bigger HDD. So ssay you put in a 1TB HDD in there that will come up to around $46. All you are saving is $2. Maybe $3 if you consider that there will be one less step in the manufacturing process. So removing the HDD will not afford you the luxury of dropping your price by $50. Even if you don't double the HDD size.
We will never see a discless console this gen. Now will we see them putting an SSD in the console. When they strart putting Nand flash storage in conoles (SSDs), then having the storage be in a casing and connected via convential SATA interfaces would become redundant. It would be cheaper for them to just embed the storage modules directly on the board and use a proprietary data IO to achieve speeds far greater than a standard straight forward connection. And that is what is most likely going to happen with the PS5/XB2.

I think a digital only PS4 SKU will be a reality at some point but not this soon.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

Digital Only?

LIES!!!! Tis not confirmed yet but whataver.

Hope it doesn't happen a all digital PS4 or X1 still wouldn't make much sense maybe 5 years from now but not next year.

Lol digital only. That is part of the reason why the Xbox One was criticized, but at least it would still have a Blu-ray drive. If this were true, Sony would only be limiting themselves to a small user base.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

I don't believe this is true. Simply for the fact that it's still too early for a Slim console. Also, the Blu-Ray drive on the PS4 isn't giving any problem, so why remove it? A BD Drive less PS4 is a recipe for disaster.

Also, I know it's some kind of placeholder design, but that "slim PS4" looks horrendous.

Slim console will come in 2017. There aren't enough hardware improvements in one year to justify a redesign (which costs a lot of money to do, from engineering, testing, setting up new production, new packaging, marketing, etc).

Also, you announce a slim console as close to release as possible, because it affects current sales (who wants to buy an "old" console?). Article is full of BS.