By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii games on WiiU look like HD remakes.

Tagged games:

Wii games on WiiU ?

They look great. 60 62.50%

They look like crap. 16 16.67%

I donĀ“t care. 20 20.83%

Total:96

I played Mario Galaxy on WiiU hooked up to my 22" LED TV via HDMI cable, so far, the color is really good but jaggies probably, because the Wii games are actually rendering 640x480 resolution upscaled on my TV.

Around the Network
Conina said:
archer9234 said:

Yes it does. When I go into Wii Mode. My TV is running in 1080p. My TV doesn't have a built in scaler. 

A 1080p TV with HDMI ports but without a scaler? Do these combinations exist?

What TV-model do you have?

It's a 2008 Panasonic model. I always prefer the TV to not have a built in scaler.

Skidmore said:

Impressive. Even Zelda NES look awesome on my WiiU.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

I have a ton of Wii games and I've tried them on my Wii U and aside from going from components cables to HDMI, there was virtually no improvement on my TV. I took the Wii out and put the Wii U in its place on launch day.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo themselves have stated this. With the backwards compatibility on Xbox 360 and PS3 (before my 80gb phat broke) there was a definite upscaling effect. With the Wii U, I haven't seen this at all.

d21lewis said:
I have a ton of Wii games and I've tried them on my Wii U and aside from going from components cables to HDMI, there was virtually no improvement on my TV. I took the Wii out and put the Wii U in its place on launch day.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo themselves have stated this. With the backwards compatibility on Xbox 360 and PS3 (before my 80gb phat broke) there was a definite upscaling effect. With the Wii U, I haven't seen this at all.

There is an effect. It's very little. Because you're judging PS1/2 games to HDMI. Wii to HDMI isn't gonna look that better when you already had access to component. What you get is the digital signal, with no more color bleeding. And the auto aspect ratio control. Wii was just 1 step below HDMI. VS PS1 being two and much lower quailty cables. Also, Wii is done in anamorphic Widescreen. So the image is being stretched to the correct frame. So the pixels are blurred more. While PS1/2 games are in 4:3 and are not stretched with the aditional upscaling.

Around the Network
kristianity77 said:
Anyone seeing improvements with Wii games on the Wii U was either using an awful connection when playing on the Wii or are seeing slight benefits over HDMI than they were with older connections on the Wii. The WiiU does nothing to Wii games apart from play them. A Wii with a decent component cable at 480p looks identical to a Wii U outputting the same games.

Yeah, this is definitely what's happening.

And if you weren't using component cables on your Wii last generation then I feel bad for you.

On my TV and with my cables, I think it actually looks a LOT worse on Wii U, but that's because my TV has a better upscaler than the Wii U (and with upscaling I mean stretching). It's still 480p, but it looked better with component with Wii.

Yep.

They look worse to me. Was playing Galaxy last night on the Wii and never realized how bad the graphics truly were. But hot damn do I love me some Galaxy

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~

It's all about the cables. I remember there being a huge jump in quality with both my PS2 and Wii when I switched to component cables.

The only difference I see is underscan vs overscan.

On the Wii with component cables my TV overscans the image while upscaling, makes it screen filling while missing a little of the edges. The Wii U upscales the Wii games for you and underscans them, ie displays them with small black borders all around, probably to use simple pixel doubling to avoid scaling artifacts 960p, exactly double each 480p line.

Just different scaling methods, exact same source material. A slightly smaller 1:2 mapped picture looks better than 480p upscaled to 1080p.