By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii games on WiiU look like HD remakes.

Tagged games:

Wii games on WiiU ?

They look great. 60 62.50%

They look like crap. 16 16.67%

I donĀ“t care. 20 20.83%

Total:96

I agree somewhat. In my experience, playing Galaxy, SS, TP, Xenoblade, and The Last Story on my Wii U, all of the games looked a bit sharper, and the colors looked a bit more vibrant. However, the jaggies became a lot more noticeable and all of the games, especially SS, looked a lot less smooth and less blended. Some people may like that, and I did for games like TP. But other games that were intended to have a bit of blending and smoothness and perhaps "murkiness", like SS, actually look less appealing to me.

My experience is more than just a console upgrade though. I played Wii on a large tube TV with composite cables. My Wii U is hooked up via HDMI to a Samsung LED flatscreen.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Around the Network

Are you playing on the gamepad? Because that effectively supersamples the game, which could possibly make the game look better.

I think they look better on the WiiU gamepad due to resolution. but any Wii game on an HD TV looks kinda bad. play Mario Galaxy or Silent Hill Shattered Memories on an old bubble TV and they'll look spectacular. play those same games on an HD TV and your see alot of lines. BUT! graphics dont matter. game play is seriously all that matters. have you played Tetris or Super Mario Bros.?!?!?! exactly!

Jonathan

Teeqoz said:
Are you playing on the gamepad? Because that effectively supersamples the game, which could possibly make the game look better.

Nope, on the big screen tv. 3d LED LG 47 inches.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

That's what you get from the HDMI upscale. The Wii was stuck on analog. So the overall image is better. Same idea when you stuck a DVD disc in a BD player for the first time.

Around the Network

Wii U doesn't do upscaling?

kupomogli said:

Nope.

To OP, its probably because of the Wii U's HDMI (digital) connection vs Wii's standard composite-out (or component) to why the picture looks a lot better/cleaner.

There are some Wii games I would like to see HD remastered on the WiiU. But most of the games I really want to get HD treatment, are actually Gamecube titles.

hinch said:
kupomogli said:

Nope.

To OP, its probably because of the Wii U's HDMI (digital) connection vs Wii's standard component-out to why the picture looks a lot better/cleaner.

Probably. I never had a Wii, but I did play it on some occasions. And it was so murky and weird. I am really happy to be able to play Wii games on WiiU.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

WagnerPaiva said:

Probably. I never had a Wii, but I did play it on some occasions. And it was so murky and weird. I am really happy to be able to play Wii games on WiiU.

Heh yeah, backwards compatibility is always a nice thing to have. And a boost in clarity and picture quality is even better :)