By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii games on WiiU look like HD remakes.

Tagged games:

Wii games on WiiU ?

They look great. 60 62.50%

They look like crap. 16 16.67%

I donĀ“t care. 20 20.83%

Total:96
SvennoJ said:

The only difference I see is underscan vs overscan.

On the Wii with component cables my TV overscans the image while upscaling, makes it screen filling while missing a little of the edges. The Wii U upscales the Wii games for you and underscans them, ie displays them with small black borders all around, probably to use simple pixel doubling to avoid scaling artifacts 960p, exactly double each 480p line.

Just different scaling methods, exact same source material. A slightly smaller 1:2 mapped picture looks better than 480p upscaled to 1080p.

Not really. My TV disables overscan in all res modes. If a TV lets you do that, the black area is gonna be visible. That's the rendering area the game goes upto. To compensate for overscan. It's not really underscanning.

Around the Network
archer9234 said:
SvennoJ said:

On the Wii with component cables my TV overscans the image while upscaling, makes it screen filling while missing a little of the edges. The Wii U upscales the Wii games for you and underscans them, ie displays them with small black borders all around, probably to use simple pixel doubling to avoid scaling artifacts 960p, exactly double each 480p line.

Just different scaling methods, exact same source material. A slightly smaller 1:2 mapped picture looks better than 480p upscaled to 1080p.

Not really. My TV disables overscan in all res modes. If a TV lets you do that, the black area is gonna be visible. That's the rendering area the game goes upto. To compensate for overscan. It's not really underscanning.

Huh? Do all Wii games have black bars?
My tv only has side bar / zoom / s.stretch / stretch as options for 480p over component cable. Side bar means leave it in 4:3, Stretch makes it 16:9
With the WiiU I can choose dot by dot since it's 1080p output, and get black bars all around.

I said it wrong though, there doesn't seem to be overscan in 480p mode for the Wii, my tv doesn't center the picture correctly. In stretch (16:9) mode I get a small black bar only on the left side of the picture and probably miss something on the right. Top and bottom look to match up.

Looks better coming out of the WiiU anyway, too bad that doesn't play GC games. I'm using the WiiU for Wii games, Wii for GC games :)

SvennoJ said:
archer9234 said:
SvennoJ said:

Huh? Do all Wii games have black bars?
My tv only has side bar / zoom / s.stretch / stretch as options for 480p over component cable. Side bar means leave it in 4:3, Stretch makes it 16:9
With the WiiU I can choose dot by dot since it's 1080p output, and get black bars all around.

I said it wrong though, there doesn't seem to be overscan in 480p mode for the Wii, my tv doesn't center the picture correctly. In stretch (16:9) mode I get a small black bar only on the left side of the picture and probably miss something on the right. Top and bottom look to match up.

Looks better coming out of the WiiU anyway, too bad that doesn't play GC games. I'm using the WiiU for Wii games, Wii for GC games :)

Yes. All Wii games have black bars on the edges. Even the menu. Regardless it's a 4:3 or 16:9 game. Older game consoles did this too. It was to force frame all the graphics into the overscan safe area. It's very normal. It depends on your TV. Some TV's won't allow overscan to be disabled in certain resoutions. While others don't care. And you can see the full image.