By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii games on WiiU look like HD remakes.

Tagged games:

Wii games on WiiU ?

They look great. 60 62.50%

They look like crap. 16 16.67%

I donĀ“t care. 20 20.83%

Total:96
hinch said:
kupomogli said:
Wii U doesn't do upscaling?

Nope.

To OP, its probably because of the Wii U's HDMI (digital) connection vs Wii's standard composite-out (or component) to why the picture looks a lot better/cleaner.

It does in America, my Wii U displays Wii games in 1080p but I know in Europe it don't upscale Wii games tho.

Around the Network
peeer said:
hinch said:
kupomogli said:

Nope.

To OP, its probably because of the Wii U's HDMI (digital) connection vs Wii's standard composite-out (or component) to why the picture looks a lot better/cleaner.

It does in America, my Wii U displays Wii games in 1080p but I know in Europe it don't upscale Wii games tho.

Thats just the output. The Wii U doesn't change the origional internal resolution of Wii games.

hinch said:
peeer said:
hinch said:
kupomogli said:

Nope.

Thats just the output. The Wii U doesn't do anything to origional internal resolution when rendering Wii games.

In Europe you don't even get the 1080p display...

There is definitely a slight upgrade in image quality, due to the HDMI output and Wii U doing the upscaling instead of the TV. Games with little jaggies benefit the most.

hinch said:
kupomogli said:

Nope.

Yes it does. When I go into Wii Mode. My TV is running in 1080p. My TV doesn't have a built in scaler. The easiest way to know this is when you load in a 4:3 only Wii game. In HDMI mode, it retains the aspect ratio. If it went into 480p, you'd have to manually adjust your screen. Unless your talking about emulator type upscaling. Than no. That it doens't do.

Around the Network
Skidmore said:
I used Component Cables in my Wii, Playing the games in the Wii U I just noticied different color pallete, but no big improves... The small gain is only due to HDMI.

I know about the cables, but tell me more about this color pallete.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

archer9234 said:
hinch said:
kupomogli said:

Nope.

Yes it does. When I go into Wii Mode. My TV is running in 1080p. My TV doesn't have a built in scaler. The easiest way to know this is when you load in a 4:3 only Wii game. In HDMI mode, it retains the aspect ratio. If it went into 480p, you'd have to manually adjust your screen. Unless your talking about emulator type upscaling. Than no. That it doens't do.

Ah, my bad. I remember reading up about the Wii U about not having proper upscaling for Wii games, so I never really looked into it. Thanks for that.

hinch said:
archer9234 said:
hinch said:
kupomogli said:

Nope.

Ah, my bad. I remember reading up about the Wii U about not having proper upscaling for Wii games, so I never really looked into it. Thanks for the that.

Yeah, I remember that. Reggie stupidly said that. The day I got Wii U. I checked it. He messed up lol.

To me the games only look a little bit brighter and a little bit less fuzzy.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

MohammadBadir said:
I thought they looked identical to the original Wii?
There hasn't been any word on any HD rendering to make it look all that better...

WiiU at least over HDMI does indeed look better than Wii even with component cable. The image is crisper etc.

They dont look like HD games at all they just look as good as 480p games can look like.  You can clearly see an improvement over Wii+component.

I have no idea tho if WiiU would still look better than Wii when both use component.

WiiU probably wont look better when using component because games are digital then converted to analog which loses some info and then your TVs component-in requires the game to be converted to digital again.

Still a waste that the games are not rendered in HD.  Wii games can look fantastic in HD.

These are some screenshots I took of Brawl.
(be sure to open them in a seperate tab to see them in HD)