By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MicroSony pressuring developers to neuter PC games?

Tagged games:

eFKac said:

Plot thickens.

Is it true that Sony is actually behind all of this? Stay tuned!

This deserves its own thread.  The gall of Sony.  The unmitigated gall.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Well I think he was trying to keep the name anonymous but blurted it out later on. Last gen Sony didn't cause PC versions of games to be dumbed down. and 360 multiplats didnt get dumbed down on account of Sony. 

Haven't you noticed that half the reason why this pairty issue is such a big deal is because MS has been fighting it themselves? Even after the Diablo incident where MS had to step in and help, they know its hurting their PR.

Funny that you would ignore the part I bolded and underlined that implicated both specifically, and are instead harping on the one that indrectly implicates Microsoft, even if only through implication. Meaning whoever was answering that question didn't actually say MS.

As for the bold, if he "blurted" Microsoft's name out, then it wouldn't say he "implied MS". It would say he literally said Microsoft.

Anyway I don't particularly think this is true, but it is interesting to hear right from a developer that Sony and Microsoft are trying to restrict PC games from being too much better than consoles.

The bold part didn't imply anything about Sony. I didnt see any part that specifically said Sony in what you posted. Quote it for me. I have to go an get a Wacom pad. I'll BRB.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

The bold part didn't imply anything about Sony. I didnt see any part that specifically said Sony in what you posted. Quote it for me. I have to go an get a Wacom pad. I'll BRB.

It's right there in the other bolded, underlined part. Again, funny (but not surprising) that you'd ignore that one and latch onto the other, even though neither are direct quotes stating either company.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out who the console manufacturers are, especially when 1 of the 3 sees next to no support from Ubisoft.

LudicrousSpeed said:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/40591/ubisoft-console-makers-are-pressuring-them-into-30fps-for-pc/index.html

Ubisoft had a few of its staff visit a school to explain their work, with some truly interesting things revealed about the company who thinks 60FPS 'looks weird'. Someone asked the Ubisoft employees "what the hell happened with Watch Dogs", to which the Ubisoft employee, who was the 'Online Programmer' said that just before they release a game, they have to send a copy to console manufacturers, who tell them what to keep in the game, and what to take out.

But it gets better: the Game Architect said that they always try to aim for 60FPS, but due to "limitations", they have been settling at 30FPS for their latest games. He continued, saying that console makers are pressuring them into doing the same thing on PC. The Game Architect continued, saying that Ubisoft reuses as much code as possible, which could explain the similarities between a few of their games.

Someone else asked if the company was "aware of the negative responses of the recent decision to lock your games into 30FPS. If so, what do you think about that?". The Game Architect said that on consoles, and especially for something like Assassin's Creed: Unity, they have to choose between graphic fidelity and smoothness. 'timois', who made the thread on Reddit, said that "he implied that MS is making them lock the framerate on PC too".

If we end up seeing Ubisoft locking their games at 30FPS on the PC, we're going to see a really big backlash from consumers. I seriously can't see the company doing this, but after all of their biggest games being locked at 30FPS on consoles, and the company saying ridiculous things like 60FPS 'looks weird', I wouldn't put anything past them at this point.

You can read my thoughts on it here, or listen to my beautiful Australian accent raging about it in our latest video podcast.

Read more at http://www.tweaktown.com/news/40591/ubisoft-console-makers-are-pressuring-them-into-30fps-for-pc/index.html

Nowehere in this does he imply SOny is making them do it. As you said he implied MS. Yet you insist on dragging Sony down to MS level. Not saying they don't but you will need more than that to tar SOny with the same brush you tar your beloved MS with. Nice try though. 

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

pokoko said:
eFKac said:

Plot thickens.

Is it true that Sony is actually behind all of this? Stay tuned!

This deserves its own thread.  The gall of Sony.  The unmitigated gall.

This site wouldn't be able to handle it.. It would break under the pressure...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:

Nowehere in this does he imply SOny is making them do it. As you said he implied MS. Yet you insist on dragging Sony down to MS level. Not saying they don't but you will need more than that to tar SOny with the same brush you tar your beloved MS with. Nice try though. 

The hypocrisy is strong with you.

enrageorange said:
Kerotan said:

what hypocrisy? He's trying to suggest MS do the same thing as MS without proper proof. The only thing this article implies as he says himself is that they hinted at MS. 

Funny. just a couple months ago, Ubisoft said they wanted to improve their PC efforts

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/assassins_creed_unity/news/ubisoft_promises_to_improve_optimisation_of_future_pc_titles.html

And now we have this.

Honestly, I don't believe it; Ubisoft has damaged it's own PC business by themselves many times before with UPlay, by launching the games 2 or more months later than its console versions, etc. Saying now that they will cripple their PC ports because console manufacturers force them to do it is BS.

Seriously, what Ubisoft should do now is shut up and let the games speak for themselves because everytime an employee says something it only makes things worse for them.

What's surprising is that for all the PR problems Ubisoft has had as of late, their president has been missing. Doesn't Yves Guillemot have something to say?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Kerotan said:
enrageorange said:
Kerotan said:

what hypocrisy? He's trying to suggest MS do the same thing as MS without proper proof. The only thing this article implies as he says himself is that they hinted at MS. 

And if that is all you said, I wouldn't say anything. But instead you also mocked him for being blindly loyal to Microsoft while your own comment makes you seem blindly loyal to Sony.

I'm not surprised.

Remember gamers, you voted with your wallets for these companies. I hope you're proud of what you made the industry become.

I LOVE ICELAND!