By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony has averaged 115 million console sales per gen

kowenicki said:
2008ProchargedGT said:

Just let that sink in for a second. No other competitors have hit that make with there best selling console nor have come close. How do they do it? Is it a standard thing like every tissue is a Kleenex, every Monster Truck is a Bigfoot, every gaming console is a Playstation? World recognition?  At times it seems they dont even know why they are selling so well. Any way I was just really amazed at that figure and whated to know what the community thinks. Also does that mean if the PS4 dosent sell 115 Mil than it is a failure?

So 2 consoles out of 3 so far were a failure...?  The PS2 heavily skews the avearge.

The answer is no, it isnt a failure if it doesnt hit 115m.

Is the ONE an unbelievable, amazing, stupendous success if it beats 54m...?  No of course it isn't.  But thats the same logic you are using.

I just added that point for disscussion. It dosent mean I believe that logic. Thank you for your input however.

Edit also using your logic dosent the PS3 also heavily skew the AVg? Thats why we use avgs

Around the Network
prayformojo said:
2008ProchargedGT said:

Just let that sink in for a second. No other competitors have hit that make with there best selling console nor have come close. How do they do it? Is it a standard thing like every tissue is a Kleenex, every Monster Truck is a Bigfoot, every gaming console is a Playstation? World recognition?  At times it seems they dont even know why they are selling so well. Any way I was just really amazed at that figure and whated to know what the community thinks. Also does that mean if the PS4 dosent sell 115 Mil than it is a failure?

Playstation has had a knack (hehe) for hitting the right spots at the right time. PS1 had the CD going for it as well as being the first console to offer adults the ability to play games without fear of being called immature. PS2 had DVD playback and it also had a LOCK DOWN on third party support the likes we will never see again. The PS3 had Kevin Butler and the Slim which was able to change it's fortunes at just the right time. Throw in some of the most clever advertisments of all time that appealed to gamers in just the right way and you've got your answer.

Plus, it doesn't hurt that world wide, Sony is a much more popular brand as a whole.

All very great points. Great post. This begs the question tho, did Sony do these things because of competition or the good of the gamer (advancements in gaming tech)?

kowenicki said:
Captain_Tom said:
ExplodingBlock said:

They also lose billions every year
Just let that sink in for a second

~ Mod edit ~

This user was moderated by TruckOSaurus.

Except they don't lol

they do actually lol

and why was he moderated for that? it is very, very relevant.    If you break console sales records and still lose money then what are you doing? 

Because it was off topic and he knew it. The thing is you're right, but it's not the discussion for this thread. Also Sony making losses is not always PS's fault, actually it mostly wasn't until PS3 came along that is and that too didn't last more than 3 years.

kowenicki said:
Captain_Tom said:
ExplodingBlock said:

~ Mod edit ~

Except they don't lol

they do actually lol

and why was he moderated for that? it is very, very relevant.    If you break console sales records and still lose money then what are you doing? 

He was modded for being off topic. As you are now. Also I dont think the mods take kindly to being questiond publicly in my experience. Im sure you know that by now tho. Is there anything else On topic you would like to add?

kowenicki said:
2008ProchargedGT said:
kowenicki said:
Captain_Tom said:
ExplodingBlock said:

~ Mod edit ~

Except they don't lol

they do actually lol

He was modded for being off topic. As you are now. Also I dont think the mods take kindly to being questiond publicly in my experience. Im sure you know that by now tho. Is there anything else On topic you would like to add?

Well i dont think it was off topic, so...

But, yeah I do have an on topic point. I just rubbished your entire thread about averages in my previous post.  Never use averages with 3 data points... its silly.

Sorry for tree using mobile have mercy lol.

I dont understand how using an avg on 3 data points makes it irrelevant.  IMO you dislike the data itself. If you believe the basis of my thread to be " rubbish" thats fine. You dont have to post here, on topic or otherwise. you are comming off as very bitter fyi. I hope I have not offended you.

Around the Network
fory77 said:
And all of this happened because of a stupid mistake Nintendo made.

Can you elaborate?  I think I know what you are talking about but would love to "hear" how Nintendo shaped the future of the gaming industry in the 90s

Handhelds doesnt count?

2008ProchargedGT said:
fory77 said:

Can you elaborate?  I think I know what you are talking about but would love to "hear" how Nintendo shaped the future of the gaming industry in the 90s

He's talking about Nintendo refusing to make a console with Sony back then and how that led Sony to deciding they could do it better themselves.

2008ProchargedGT said:
fory77 said:

I don't remember the exact details, but it was either that Sony and Nintendo were going to collaborate on a console, or it was that Sony was going to make a disc based extension. One of those two. However, Nintendo refused, and Sony then went on and launched the PS1 alone.

Edit: dammit, ninja'd

Thanks to the PS2. What a Godlike console.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!