By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Farcry 4 is 1080p 30fps in PS4

Kyuu said:
Mr Puggsly said:

If what we've seen from Uncharted 4 isn't good enough for Panama then his standards must be ridiculously high.. I doubt Naughty Dog will hit their target while maintaining high res/fps but I've seen users here comparing it to the PC version of "Assassin's Creed Black Flag" and claiming the latter is the "better looking game" just because it runs at 4K. So absurd.

LOL Uncharted is going to make the new AC look like a joke in the graphics department and I am willing to bet money that the area you're roaming will be much larger this time around.

Around the Network

People holding out for 1080p/60fps to become the standard this gen should give up on that dream now and get the disappointment over with, because it's not going to happen.

30fps will remain the norm for console gaming.

RealGamingExpert said:
Do we know how it runs on Xbox One?
1080p 30 fps doesn't sound too bad, but 60 fps would obviously be better.
Shouldn't make a big difference in Far Cry though.

It does. Hugely.

Fusioncode said:
walsufnir said:
KLAMarine said:
How's the gameplay?

Pff...

We don't play games anymore, we play numbers. Exception to the rule: exclusives. They are exceptionally good, even with obvious flaws.

I've seen you talk about resolution and framerate quite a lot on this forum which makes your post very puzzling. 

It is puzzling for you? Well, that's not my problem. I have been interested in tech discussions since I registered on this site but only from a technical point of view, not in participating in stupid "parity!" discussions which are only ongoing because of console wars.

Isn't this an FPS? 30FPS FPS...

That's pathetic, and utterly terrible for gameplay. I'd sooner sacrifice 1080p for 60FPS.

curl-6 said:
30fps will remain the norm for console gaming.

WiiU?

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Panama said:
This needs to be a short generation. Please.

I hope its a long generation and people try to appreciate gameplay.

Those who want really polished graphics, stick with a PC as usual.

Pffft If I wanted to appreciate gameplay I'd still be playing SNES and Genesis all day :^)

walsufnir said:

Pff...

We don't play games anymore, we play numbers. Exception to the rule: exclusives. They are exceptionally good, even with obvious flaws.

I mean, to be fair, 30 vs. 60FPS can break a game like this for people because its a first-person shooter. So numbers are actually relevant here. 30/60FPS in an adventure game where control and flow isn't nearly as important? Sure, whatever. But we're starting to see 30FPS spectacles rear their head in driving sims, first-person shooters, and fighters. That's bad.

I will, for example, not play a <60FPS FPS because it feels horrible to play and juttery.

Vena said:
walsufnir said:

Pff...

I mean, to be fair, 30 vs. 60FPS can break a game like this for people because its a first-person shooter. So numbers are actually relevant here. 30/60FPS in an adventure game where control and flow isn't nearly as important? Sure, whatever. But we're starting to see 30FPS spectacles rear their head in driving sims, first-person shooters, and fighters. That's bad.

I will, for example, not play a <60FPS FPS because it feels horrible to play and juttery.

I think for single player 30fps is totally fine to me if it's locked.

walsufnir said:

I think for single player 30fps is totally fine to me if it's locked.

I'd disagree, single player or multiplayer doesn't remove the stuttering or choppiness of 30 FPS, but then I have different eyes. Control/panning never feels fluid.

Vena said:
walsufnir said:

Pff...

"Break a game" is one hell of overstatement even for first person shooter. When it comes to input , in 30fps a frame has to be rendered evey 33 milliseconds, in 60 fps that time is reduced to 16.6 milliseconds. So you gain merely an extra time of 16 ms. Now, keep in mind it takes a human more than 200 ms to press a button as a reaction. And there is the delay factor of the screen and the controller. Also knowing that the input of your controller is not bound by the output frames, the process happens before the output. All things considered, the stability of the fps benefits the gameplay much more than the extra frames. The player would form a measurement when and how to react, and it would work precisely because the of stability.

When it comes to presentation, 60fps offers smoother animation, it is nicer. But the motion blur effect helps smoothing the action even in 30 fps and it is getting better in the new generation.

Also display lag can be as high as 65ms in HD TVs, so getting a good TV is much more efficient than 60fps.