By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's reluctance to build new IP's is killing their brand

Lucas-Rio said:

The success on the Wii was based on motion control, not on "new ip".

The only reason why licence did not grow from Wii/DS to Wii U/3DS is poo hardware sales.

Nintendo franchise are not declining, they are selling less because much less hardware has been sold. That's all. A lot of thse franchise grew a lot from GC to Wii.

So firstly I take it you accept every Nintendo franchise has had fewer sales from last gen to current gen. This is called a decline so my premise isn't wrong as you intially stated.

Saying the success of the Wii is exclusively due to motion controls without any acknowledgement of the software is short sighted. People weren't interested in waving a stick around for no reason. They were interested in the way those games used motion controls to create new experiences. Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Brain Age, Nintendogs etc. are all massive reasons the Wii and DS sold what it did.

Now Wii U also has motion controls. If motion control alone sold hardware, the Wii U would be doing well. The reality is, the Wii U has no new software that excited people like the Wii had. Simply releasing improved versions of Nintendo classics is killing the brand. Fewer people are picking them up because people want new games, not the same old thing slightly improved.

Edit: This isn't a Nintendo exclusive issue. In a a few weeks Destiny is the top selling game on PS4. People want new experiences on a new console. Titanfall is the biggest game on Xbox One. I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Around the Network
Purple said:
Lucas-Rio said:

The only reason why licence did not grow from Wii/DS to Wii U/3DS is poo hardware sales.

Nintendo franchise are not declining, they are selling less because much less hardware has been sold. That's all. A lot of thse franchise grew a lot from GC to Wii.

So firstly I take it you accept every Nintendo franchise has had fewer sales from last gen to current gen. This is called a decline so my premise isn't wrong as you intially stated.

Saying the success of the Wii is exclusively due to motion controls without any acknowledgement of the software is short sighted. People weren't interested in waving a stick around for no reason. They were interested in the way those games used motion controls to create new experiences. Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Brain Age, Nintendogs etc. are all massive reasons the Wii and DS sold what it did.

Now Wii U also has motion controls. If motion control alone sold hardware, the Wii U would be doing well. The reality is, the Wii U has no new software that excited people like the Wii had. Simply releasing improved versions of Nintendo classics is killing the brand. Fewer people are picking them up because people want new games, not the same old thing slightly improved.

This isn't a Nintendo exclusive issue. In a a few weeks Destiny is the top selling game on PS4. People want new experiences on a new console.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Fire+Emblem

Lucas-Rio said:
The opening message start on a wrong assumption.

Nintendo franchises are not declining. The problem lay in the hardware, the marketing, the pricing, not in the software. Nintendo is back at the GC level and it has nothing to do with a lack of "new IP".

The only thing that allow the Wii U to survive is Nintendo franchise. Without that, the Wii U would have died already.

New IP are just an old fantasm of pseudo hardcore gamers with no influence on the market, nothing more.

Software sells hardware, not vice versa.

animegaming said:

Haha okay fair call. There has been one series then. I doubt there are any others.

Purple said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Edit: This isn't a Nintendo exclusive issue. In a a few weeks Destiny is the top selling game on PS4. People want new experiences on a new console. Titanfall is the biggest game on Xbox One. I'm starting to see a pattern here.

the motion control fad is deader then the Vita at this point that is why motion controls aint selling the Wii U or even the Xbox One and a big part to Destiny and Titanfall's success came down to their really good marketing and EA/Resapwn and Activsion/Bungie hyping those games up like they were the second coming of jesus.

Around the Network
Purple said:
animegaming said:

Haha okay fair call. There has been one series then. I doubt there are any others.

this current Nintnedo generation aint over yet remember some Nintendo franchses are known for their legs like Mario Kart and Smash and Pokemon for example like Mario Kart 8 is probably gonna overtake 64's spot as the third best selling in the series so it aint that big of a decline and come i dare you to try and find a way to top like 22 and 34 million copies sold 

also i would like to make a bet right here right now i bet that Smash Bros for 3DS will outsell Brawl since according to Nintendo eariler this week it has sold 2.8 million copies so far and chances are its already at 3 million and keep in mind Brawl is at like 12 million sold and it is one of the big Nintendo franchises that has huge legs

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/07/super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-3ds-sells-over-28-million-copies

animegaming said:

this current Nintnedo generation aint over yet remember some Nintendo franchses are known for their legs like Mario Kart and Smash and Pokemon for example like Mario Kart 8 is probably gonna overtake 64's spot as the third best selling in the series so it aint that big of a decline and come i dare you to try and find a way to top like 22 and 34 million copies sold 

also i would like to make a bet right here right now i bet that Smash Bros for 3DS will outsell Brawl since according to Nintendo eariler this week it has sold 2.8 million copies so far and chances are its already at 3 million and keep in mind Brawl is at like 12 million sold and it is one of the big Nintendo franchises that has huge legs

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/07/super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-3ds-sells-over-28-million-copies

Just so we're clear, are you saying you think Super Smas Bros. for 3DS will sell in excess of 13 million?

Nintendo need continue with the new IPs they have createdand create hype it around them. Also Needs to create something big and new, a new Big IP to stand beside Mario, Zelda, Metroid...

Nintendo Fans have to buy those new games if they want variety and see other companies bringing their games to the console

Purple said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Of course Nintendo software sells lesss on a sub 10 millions hardware than on a 100 millions hardware, this isn't surprising at all.

Nintendo's Wii success was mainly due to motion control, at that time it was revolution that brought a lot of new players. The Nintendo DS also was a revolution with two screen and the touch screen , who was first used in gaming.

Nintendo has been attempting to replciate these success by founding new innovation. For the 3DS it was the 3D, after Avatar, a lot of people thought 3D would be big, it never became big, and is now just a side feature in the 3DS.

With the Wii U, Nintendo tried to copy the tablet design when tablets were becoming huge. But it did not worked sinced the Gamepad isn't fonctional as a tablet at all. It just have the design and some nice feature like the second screen.

The Wii U is a flawed hardware, with a weak CPU, a gamepad that people aren't interested in and who add unecessary costs.

Regarding Titanfall, it is a very high budget game, but it endend selling less than MK8. Destiny is a shitty games with the biggest budget ever and a marketing campaign that ave branwashed people into buying it. It still has less than expected sales.

Is it any wonder that Nintendo isn't pushing out new IP's???
Let's hark back to E3 for a second...
For another year leading up to E3, Nintendo was listening to gamers and critics telling them they never make new IP's anymore...
Then they show two (2) new IP's and everyone rages that we got these titles instead of Metroid and Majora's Mask 3D...

Have a nice day...