By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's reluctance to build new IP's is killing their brand

Well we are getting at least 3 new IPs next year Splatoon, Project Guard and Project Robot. And then there is Retro's new IP, and then you can count Devil's Third.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Around the Network

A "people are bored with Mario" thread? this is going to be new and super fresh!

Tagging for a read later when I have time and patience. (lol'd pretty hard at Jizz's first post)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

MDX said:

Nintendo's reluctance to build new IP's is killing their brand

You have to first prove that they are reluctant to do so.

Secondly, you killed your statement my stating they have made and launched new IP's.

Third, Nintendo has a couple brands, including their own company name, which brand are they killing?

Fourth, you have to provide proof that new IPs is what is needed to revive their brand because old IP's are killing their brand.  

After two years on the market, Nintendo have only created two new IP's for the system. One of which is just an amalgamation of existing franchises, the other developed by Platinum. That seems pretty clear to me that Nintendo are investing far more into existing franchises.

Reluctant means they aren't very willing. Not that they haven't.

They're killing their company. No successful new IP is leading to fewer people buying their consoles and traditational franchises. Mario, DK, Pikmin, Zelda etc. are unable to sell enough consoles by themselves.

The proof is in the success of the new IP in driving Wii sales. More than half of the best selling games on Wii were new IP for that generation. The best selling game on PS4 and XBox1 is a new IP for this generation.

Lucas-Rio said:
bananaking21 said:

i know you want to go into a "Sony vs Nintendo exclusives sales battle" but that has little to do with the point. to get new audiences that you dont have you need to create new content. chances are if somebody didnt play the last 10 mario games, he wont play the next one. fresh new software helps attract new consumers, its not a hard concept to understand. 

Nintendo does not have unlimited ressources. If they don't do Mario, Zelda and Smash  Bros, their sales would be even worse. The Wii U would be dead.

they literally made billions and billions from Wii/DS. they certainly had enough money to invest in more, bigger, and highly ambitions new IP's alongside making new Zelda and Mario games. 

Gammalad said:
Well we are getting at least 3 new IPs next year Splatoon, Project Guard and Project Robot. And then there is Retro's new IP, and then you can count Devil's Third.

I'm not sure about the others (or even if they're actual games that will get released) but Splatoon is exactly the kind of game I'm talking about. This needs to be the norm for Nintendo going forward. Not once every three years, but multiple new experiences like Splatoon appearing every few months. Games that give people a reason to buy a new system.

I'm super excited for it and really hope it's a success.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Lucas-Rio said:
bananaking21 said:

i know you want to go into a "Sony vs Nintendo exclusives sales battle" but that has little to do with the point. to get new audiences that you dont have you need to create new content. chances are if somebody didnt play the last 10 mario games, he wont play the next one. fresh new software helps attract new consumers, its not a hard concept to understand. 

Nintendo does not have unlimited ressources. If they don't do Mario, Zelda and Smash  Bros, their sales would be even worse. The Wii U would be dead.

they literally made billions and billions from Wii/DS. they certainly had enough money to invest in more, bigger, and highly ambitions new IP's alongside making new Zelda and Mario games. 

Nintendo made Xenoblade and are founding X, they have founded W101, they are founding Devil Third, they are doing Splatoon and founding Bayonetta 2.

None of them will sell 20% of what Mario Kart 8 will sell. Period. The casual game era success is over (Brain Training) and the games Nintendo are founding add variety but bring no commercial success.

Nintendo would be dead doing new ip instead of the games his fans want to play.

Purple said:
Gammalad said:

I'm not sure about the others (or even if they're actual games that will get released) but Splatoon is exactly the kind of game I'm talking about. This needs to be the norm for Nintendo going forward. Not once every three years, but multiple new experiences like Splatoon appearing every few months. Games that give people a reason to buy a new system.

I'm super excited for it and really hope it's a success.

Splatoon will flop or have minimal impact.

Nintendo needs to bring a real 3D Mario, cut the cost to 200$ and continue to bring his franchise and fund some other games to cruise to 30 millions Wii U sold.

Lucas-Rio said:
bananaking21 said:

Nintendo made Xenoblade and are founding X, they have founded W101, they are founding Devil Third, they are doing Splatoon and founding Bayonetta 2.

None of them will sell 20% of what Mario Kart 8 will sell. Period. The casual game era success is over (Brain Training) and the games Nintendo are founding add variety but bring no commercial success.

Nintendo would be dead doing new ip instead of the games his fans want to play.

not trying to be mean here, but just correcting a mistake, its funded, not founded. found is the past to find.

as far as our conversation goes, yes, they did fund W101, and i am not saying that they didnt. isnt X part of the Xeno series? and devils third honestly looks like a sub par low budget game, and thats my point, they dont let their best teams make their biggest and most ambitious projects. 

@bolded: they need to do both, because obviously, their fanbase is no where near enough, WiiU will be the worst selling nintendo console ever, if they want to attract new consumers, they need new IPs. 

bananaking21 said:

not trying to be mean here, but just correcting a mistake, its funded, not founded. found is the past to find.

as far as our conversation goes, yes, they did fund W101, and i am not saying that they didnt. isnt X part of the Xeno series? and devils third honestly looks like a sub par low budget game, and thats my point, they dont let their best teams make their biggest and most ambitious projects. 

@bolded: they need to do both, because obviously, their fanbase is no where near enough, WiiU will be the worst selling nintendo console ever, if they want to attract new consumers, they need new IPs. 

People buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. Doing new high budget games are a very risky move. Nintendo is a special company that must play on his strength. The Nintendogs, Brain Trainings and games like that aren't working anymore. Neither is Wii Fit. The casual fad is gone and Nintendo is left with his fans.I guess you want Nintendo to copy the third party and Microsoft, doing grey AAA titles, the one that are not profitable unless they sell 3-5 millions copies. Nintendo will not be able to compete in that segment with the Wii U and this is not why we love Nintendo games.

The Wii saw some Nintendo franchise breaking sales record. The games and the franchises aren't in the question. The hardware, the marketing and the slow rythm or release are.

New Nintendo IPs since 2006:

Wii Sports
Wii Fit
Wii Party
Wii Music
Wonderful 101
Splatoon
S.T.E.A.M.
Captain Toad

I think I'm even forgetting some...

You get more new I.P. from Nintendo without realizing than you probably do from the other two console makers. Just think about it. Most of the industry is sequel-driven, because that's what gamers demand. New IPs have never been more risky than they are today. The fact that there are *any* at all anymore is actually quite amazing to me.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.