By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's reluctance to build new IP's is killing their brand

Nintendo makes new IPs. But Nintendo fans think the big 3 (Mario, Zelda, and Metroid) are the be all/end all of gaming and pay 0 attention to anything else. How often around here do you see Nintendo fans says things like "Nintendo has the best first party games so they don't need anything else".

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Around the Network
Viktor said:

Inform yourselve first before making baseless assumptions op. Nintendo actually makes quite a decent amount of new IPs on a regular bases, on top of that they have a large amount of successful IPs a lot of people actually want sequels from, no point in neglecting even the popular ones. In general new IPs are only created to replace the previous ones when they aren´t successful, just look at Sony, whenever they have a somewhat successful franchise they milk it and milk it and milk it, case in point Little Big Planet, Gran Tourismo, God of War and Uncharted just to name a few.

Yes, those are all "somewhat successful" franchises. 

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

leedlelee said:
Is it any wonder that Nintendo isn't pushing out new IP's???
Let's hark back to E3 for a second...
For another year leading up to E3, Nintendo was listening to gamers and critics telling them they never make new IP's anymore...
Then they show two (2) new IP's and everyone rages that we got these titles instead of Metroid and Majora's Mask 3D...

That's what I'm saying. I think it's Nintendo's fans that make it what it is. They clamored to Mario Kart U and bought up WiiUs. After that the console just disappeared from the sales charts. Until the next big Nintendo first party thing comes around. Or maybe Beyonetta 2 can prove me wrong. 

Lucas-Rio said:
Purple said:
Gammalad said:
Well we are getting at least 3 new IPs next year Splatoon, Project Guard and Project Robot. And then there is Retro's new IP, and then you can count Devil's Third.

I'm not sure about the others (or even if they're actual games that will get released) but Splatoon is exactly the kind of game I'm talking about. This needs to be the norm for Nintendo going forward. Not once every three years, but multiple new experiences like Splatoon appearing every few months. Games that give people a reason to buy a new system.

I'm super excited for it and really hope it's a success.

Splatoon will flop or have minimal impact.

Nintendo needs to bring a real 3D Mario, cut the cost to 200$ and continue to bring his franchise and fund some other games to cruise to 30 millions Wii U sold.

If Nintendo puts for a good advertisement campign with Splatoon it won't flop.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Purple said:
Lucas-Rio said:
The opening message start on a wrong assumption.

Nintendo franchises are not declining. The problem lay in the hardware, the marketing, the pricing, not in the software. Nintendo is back at the GC level and it has nothing to do with a lack of "new IP".

The only thing that allow the Wii U to survive is Nintendo franchise. Without that, the Wii U would have died already.

New IP are just an old fantasm of pseudo hardcore gamers with no influence on the market, nothing more.

Please list three Nintendo franchise that have experienced growth between Wii/DS and Wii U/3DS.

I'll be impressed if you can do one actually.

The bolded is just patently wrong. As I have shown, the success of the Wii was mainly built on the success of new IP to the Wii/DS generation.

Thats a bit unfair considering Wii and DS have sold 250m combined compared to 50m combined this gen. It would be interesting to see the tie in ratios, i dont know the numbers but take NSMBU for example, that has sold about 4.5m on a 7.4 million install base. That is an insane tie in ratio.

Around the Network
Purple said:

Reason the Wii U has been such a flop #2135

We're approaching two years on the market and Nintendo have only bothered to create two new IP's for the system. There's Nintendoland, a mishmash of existing franchises that has done relatively well and the Wonderful 101, loved by a small community (including myself) but rejected by the wider market. There are several reasons the lack of new IP's is killing Nintendo as a brand.

1) The success of the Wii was built on its unique new software. 13/20 of the top selling games on Wii were new IP's. 15 if you include the Mario Galaxy games. One of the reasons the Wii sales declined so dramatically later in its life was the lack of investment in new games by Nintendo.

2) Nintendo's traditional IP's are in decline. The popularity of Mario, Pokemon, DK et al. is falling and Nintendo aren't doing anything to change the formula of these games to increase interest again. Mario Kart Wii was a huge success because it offered an entirely new way to play a racing game. New Super Mario Bros. Wii reinvented the Mario formula to a modern take on 2D gaming. The Galaxy games added a whole new dimension and scale to 3D platformer mechanics. Mario Kart 8, NSMBU, Tropical Freeze, 3D World, Wii Fit U etc. are just iterative upgrades to existing games on previous systems. They're not bringing in new players and existing fans are seeing little reason to upgrade.

3) Nintendo is turning itself into a niche developer. The lack of new IP's is giving the general public the impression Nintendo is just a Mario production line and if you aren't interested in those games there's no reason to own a Nintendo system. Whether such an impression is fair or otherwise, the lack of investment in new IP's is having that effect.

4) Focusing exclusively on the narrow range of game genres covered by existing IP's will alienate a huge portion of the market and make the conditions for third parties unsustainable. We've already seen this happen, where unless it's a 2D platformer or kart racer, third party games will flop on the Wii U. Nintendo need new IP's to attract different audiences to their systems and allow third parties to find success on the platform with their games.

Ultimately, I can't understand why after the huge success of creating new IP on the DS and Wii, Nintendo would just completely abandon that policy and replace it with just pushing out the same old games with small improvements. Bring on Splatoon.

They do have enough new IP the problem is the ones they create are either    low budget/ have no marketing so noone knows about them/ are prototype stuff.

They also do way to much minigame shit.  I want more metroid zelda mario style games. Games with exploration.  I dont want  "do arbitrary thing just because its part ofthe gameplay" I want to feel like I am someone that is living the life of a person from a fantasy or scifi word. I want to feel like a hero etc. Not just   "shot robots while watching 12 camera streams" (like the new WiiU game)

And when they do games like that they ended up on DS isntead of Wii (Magical Starsign etc) and nobody knows they are Nintendo games.

Purple said:
animegaming said:

considering how much both Mario Kart DS (22.94) and Mario Kart Wii (34.64 million) have its kinda hard to top both considering how considering to the gamedatabase on this site there have only been a total of 19 games to have ever sold over 20 million copies and also Mario Kart 8 is just right behind 64 for the third highest selling entry in the series so it aint really a decline 

MK8 will probably end up selling a quarter of what MKWii sold. That is catastrophic. As I said in the OP, there is a thousand reasons the Wii U is a flop, but I think the lack of new IP to get new customers on board is definitely a key one.

I personally don't think that. It is a factor in this big ball of mess. But honestly, people rather just keep playing the same thing over and over again. People whine to make something new. But more than nothing, they sell bad than work. Major other problems with Nintendo is they pissed off the userbase. Nintendo does things their way. People do like it. There are things that Nintendo only can do. Since they think like that. However, people more and more stop caring. 

There are some basic and fundimental things in gaming. Over the last generation that has become expected in a game console. Nintendo more often fails to do these things in a normal manor. Or at all. Also, Nintendo gambled on a idea and it has failed. The gamepad ultimatly, while it has its love. Isn't showing the majority why it's useful. I'm a huge Nintendo fan. I love all their games. But in recent times. Not their OS, UI, and hardware choices. And not because the system is underpowered. I didn't care about that with Wii.

Before Wii and Wii U. I'd never thought not to buy a Nintendo console. But I was really close in not bothering with buying a Wii U. I've gotten tired of it's shitty online. The really rediculess things the OS does. The friends list has no real-time indicator. Why does the Wii menu have to exsist on the Wii U. Why doesn't the disc loader just load the disc. All the VC games not function on the main menu. Without the upgrade. My POV it's a step down. People have argued because of this and this tech limitation, it's not possible. Too bad. It's not an improvement. When I have to deal dumb stuff like aim my Wii remote, to boot into Wii mode. When my TV is off and I'm ready on the Gamepad. Other "improvments" like TVii is a joke. It takes nearly a minute for it to load the program guide. I can turn on my TV and DVR box faster. So more than nothing. You aren't going to use it. The TV remote function. While useful when you don't have your remote near you. Doesn't help. I can't tell it to power on my TV and DVR with different power buttons. And do a few other important functions. So I go back to using the actual remotes. Not executed right.

Those type of WTF where they thinking things the system does. And the Gamepad sadly made the console worse. I liked the Wii Remote. I bought games on the Wii over other systems just for it. But the Pad isn't an improvement. For the simple fact it forces things that are more annoying than better. Here's an example I deal with. In Pikmin 3, my room is very small. I don't have coffee tables or other stuff  near my TV. My bed is 4 feet from my TV. I have to leave the Pad behind me and not use. Except for the forced map. I don't like looking down at the pad. Nor can I put it anywhere to keep it near the TV. But than, if I need to put the pad near my TV, to use the pad. Why isn't the map on the screen. This makes the gamepad features moot.

I end up just playing the game only on the gamepad. Because the map HAS to go on the screen when you're in that mode. But then I stopped playing the game all thogether. I want to play with the Wii Remote. Due to this hate relasionship. Because other things the pad does. Like boot up with the console. Some games refuse to start, unless the pad is on for a few seconds during loading (Bayonetta 2). And the map not being able to be permanilty set to the TV in MK8. Has made me hate it all the time. I modded the damn thing to have a power switch for god sakes. I don't mod current consoles till they go obsolete. Not to mention. I have 3 controllers (ignoring the nunchuck) out for one game console. This is getting out of hand.

This is were the hatred of the console built up with people. Between having this confusing start. Where people thought it was a addon. The specs being lower. The gamepad being hated. Nintendo not improving their OS design. Why are accounts still tied to hwardware. Why can I still NOT voice chat with ease. And the worst of all: the 3rd parties just giving a big fuck off to them. They convinced a lot of fans to just give up and walk away. On top of that. Thanks to other factors like Smart Phones and the fad problem. They lost all the other people that got them to 100 million units.

Combining all these things. 3rd parties gone, main userbase people pissed off, general public going to other things, the gamepad not bottling lightning again, and no new IP's, because they so far don't work out right. Which is Nintendo's own fault. They admited HD has thrown them off in development times. No excusses. Not even "cause Wii wasn't HD". It's called doing R&D and tests during the Wii U design phase on building times. Is why Nintendo is in this boat. Shows like CSI did season 1 in HD, in 2000. Tested to see how much more work was involved in it. Ofcourse Mario Kart isn't gonna sell 20 million. The userbase isn't even at 10 mill right now. It can't do that unless it was at a 70 million userbase. No game can recapture those past numbers.

Everyone is gonna be like "I know where you're going with this arguement. You want Nintendo to do what the other two do. You're wrong. They will fail that way too." So far Nintendo doesn't have a wining stratagy they could do. As of right now. They are stuck and can't decide were to go. They put themsevles into this corner. Getting themselves out will be VERY hard. New games won't really help. If people don't buy them. You can whine bitch moan "MORE NEW GAMES!". If they don't sell, they can't do them.

Sony getting out of the PS3 mess is a different story. Their hump was "$599 US dollars". The cell being satan to comapnies is gonna be dealt with. If other factors are a no big deal. And when money keeps on flowing. Japan isn't gonna buy a Xbox. So all those companies had no choice but to use PS3 anway. Nintendo has a santa clause list of things. And a image of being kiddy for several decades. That doesn't go away over night.

Nintendo is a flop.

bananaking21 said:
Lucas-Rio said:
bananaking21 said:

they literally made billions and billions from Wii/DS. they certainly had enough money to invest in more, bigger, and highly ambitions new IP's alongside making new Zelda and Mario games. 

Nintendo made Xenoblade and are founding X, they have founded W101, they are founding Devil Third, they are doing Splatoon and founding Bayonetta 2.

None of them will sell 20% of what Mario Kart 8 will sell. Period. The casual game era success is over (Brain Training) and the games Nintendo are founding add variety but bring no commercial success.

Nintendo would be dead doing new ip instead of the games his fans want to play.

not trying to be mean here, but just correcting a mistake, its funded, not founded. found is the past to find.

Actually the poster used the word "founded" in some cases correctly:

Founded= establish or originate; construct

So Nintendo "founded" a new IP, like Splatoon, but not Bayonetta. 

Purple said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Again... The market was full of casuals which aren't loyal... Motion controls was a new thing and it was marketed really aggressively towards casuals when it came to the wii so of course casual games will sell well (and not to mention a few of those games came free with the wii like wii sports) just like every other casual stuff... Sure, they were "new IPs" but most of those new IP's werent even good...

And of course the 3ds won't do as good as the DS considering its increasing competition against smartphones... When the DS came out, Phones couldn't play games nor did they have a proper market place like the App store or Google Play and you would be lucky to even get wifi on them so again a lot of casuals bought the DS...

And you can't buy a wiiU for $200 easily... You have to know where to look in order to buy it for $200 and not to mention, its mostly used... If I was a casual and I walk into a retail store like Walmart, I wont be able to buy a wiiU for $200

I think you are not understanding/underestimating how much influence the Casual's had with the wii/DS and now that they are gone, what you are basically left with are mostly people that want the games like Mario and etc as well as IPs that are actually good (new or old)... Both the 3ds and wiiU has a few new IPs coming out and they have new IPs that are already out but the ones that are out are selling poorly cause they are too niche and not very well known!

The "casual" argument is such a weak one. People bought the Wii and the DS because there was interesting software that people were interested in playing. Whether they were normal people who had normal lives or people who spend their whole lives on internet forums doesn't really matter. One groups money is not more desirable than the others. By refusing to cater to people who are interested in new experiences (the people that forum-goers call casuals), Nintendo are missing out on a massive market. I don't see what loyalty has to do with anything. Consumers will always be loyal to the best product to suit their needs and wants. The market clearly want new experiences from Nintendo. Rehashing existing IP's not so much.

Bolded: This is exactly the point I am making. This is a stupid strategy. It's the strategy of a company that have thrown in the towel. If this is their policy moving forward, Nintendo doesn't have a future.

I can't disagree more. Jizz has nailed it on the head with every post. People didn't buy the Wii because of interesting software. They bought it because it was a fad. The casual argument is not weak. It's straight up true. The Wii was just a perfect storm of great marketing, lucky timing, and appeal to everyone. I'm a diehard Nintendo fan, but I'll be the first to say that the Wii was a fluke. I think what you're trying to say is that if Nintendo tried to reappeal to the casual market then they would become very successful. And I think you're wrong. Nothing like the Wii will ever happen again. The people that bought the Wii now have other forms of casual entertainment. It almost sounds like you want Nintendo to make another Wii...I'd much prefer them to just continue making the great games that they are.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.