By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's reluctance to build new IP's is killing their brand

Complaining gamers are the worst ever. No comments here.

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

And I got the idea from the fact that their new IPs were terrible that sold the most that were published by Nintendo...

and etc? Cause those were terrible games but they were new IPs created by Nintendo that sold the most... Wii Sports was bundled in for free with every single wii for free and with wii sports resort came out, it got bundled in with the wii. Heck, show me ur list then of these epic new IPs that you speak of which are made by Nintendo that sold better than Nintendo's old IPs on the wii

Fair enough but quality doesn't really have anything to do with what I'm saying. They were interesting enough for people to buy and it got people buying into the Nintendo ecosystem. This helped older Nintendo franchises sell to a larger audience.

Nintendo hasn't created these new IP on Wii U. People aren't interested enough in the traditional Mario/DK/Pikmin to buy a new console. If your only new IP in the last 22 months is a Platinum game, you're clearly doing it wrong from a business standpoint.

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:
Purple said:

You mean like new BIG IPs right? Cause they are making new IPs such as splatoon and they made a few in the wii days too!

Actually, I have this funny pic I will post later

As I said in the OP, the success of the Wii was almost entirely based on new IP so this is more about the last four years. The Wii U has two that I can count, three if you stretch the definition a little and include NES Remix.

Well... Thats arguable really cause granted wii sports was great but I doubt it is the reason why people bought a wii... The wii was marketed very nicely and the motion controls appealed to the casuals as well as its casual games... And not to mention the price point was very cheap compared to its competitors and it launched with Zelda! Vs the wiiU was marketed very poorly and not to mention the huge amount of confusion with the names, it launched with fuck all really compared to Zelda and the Casual market basically went to mobile and a whole other list of reasons why the wiiU is doing soo poorly but the 3ds is doing great by comparasion even though it doesnt have that many new IPs

Pretty much this.

Like Jizz Beard said later too, the casual market is not a loyal one and they will play what's the coolest thing out now. And he brings up a good point where Nintendo didn't have to deal with the Mobile market at the time DS was selling like Hotcakes.

It's crazy that you are stating this, for many say Nintendo's inability to deliver with their OLD IPs at Launch date was a HUGE reason why the Wii U is not selling. Granted they had New Super Mario Bros Wii U, but NSMB series as a whole are just Solid games to back up the Heavy Hitting games (Pokémon, Zelda, 3D Mario's, Mario Kart's etc).

I could remember the Wii U only launching with NSMBWiiU, Nintendo Land, and ZombiiU. Now imagine they would have added DK:TF, The Wonderful 101, a Smash Bros or a Mario Kart (either one would be enough), Pikmin 3, and a Zelda game at release? You are looking at a whole different ballgame. That was also when Nintendo was still getting 3rd party support from publishers as well. Who knows, maybe if they would have followed this strategy, they would still have 3rd party support and would have at least had 10 million console owners? 

Nintendo's mistake was that they thought their Wii fanbase would stay Loyal to Nintendo products no matter what they name it or the lack of Software they throw out there. They are paying for their arrogance now, lets hope they are never arrogant again...

For the Record, Nintendo Land and ZombiiU are new IPs too.

ZombiU was a reboot of a old dead computer game from i think the 80's or 90's and its actually Ubisoft that made and published it not Nintendo.

animegaming said:
Purple said:
zippy said:
New IPs like W101 (which is amazing) haven't done a lot to boost Wii U sales, however an "overused IP" called Mario Kart has mostly doubled Wii U sales. I think so far with Wii U Nintendo have created/funded a few new IPs or a different take on an already existing one, they have also ressurrected a sequel in which its last iteration was about ten years ago. W101, Lego City undercover, Sonic Lost world, Hyrule Warriors and even a new 3rd party IP in Zombi U are all interesting games that are either a new IP or a radical shift from how other games in their genre play, I also think that Smash Bros U will prob outsell them all combined. In terms of games i think Nintendo have done a good job blending new IPs, interesting exclusives and their classic franchises to created a good unique library, their big mistake was oversaturating the NSMB games, they should have held the 3DS version back. For me as a gamer, i much prefer what Nintendo have done with Wii U compared to what they did with the Wii, unfortunately the mass market dont think this.

Mario Kart is a series in decline and is a perfect example of what I'm saying. It is a series being killed by Nintendo's reluctance to build new IP and attract new customers to the console.

considering how much both Mario Kart DS (22.94) and Mario Kart Wii (34.64 million) have its kinda hard to top both considering how considering to the gamedatabase on this site there have only been a total of 19 games to have ever sold over 20 million copies and also Mario Kart 8 is just right behind 64 for the third highest selling entry in the series so it aint really a decline 

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=mario+kart

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/

The problem with that database is that it separtaes different SKU's of a single game. But actually when we say how much a game has sold we talk about its sales across all platforms combined. Taking that into consideration the actual number of games which have sold over 20 million units is well over 30 games.

GTAexpert said:
animegaming said:
Purple said:
zippy said:
New IPs like W101 (which is amazing) haven't done a lot to boost Wii U sales, however an "overused IP" called Mario Kart has mostly doubled Wii U sales. I think so far with Wii U Nintendo have created/funded a few new IPs or a different take on an already existing one, they have also ressurrected a sequel in which its last iteration was about ten years ago. W101, Lego City undercover, Sonic Lost world, Hyrule Warriors and even a new 3rd party IP in Zombi U are all interesting games that are either a new IP or a radical shift from how other games in their genre play, I also think that Smash Bros U will prob outsell them all combined. In terms of games i think Nintendo have done a good job blending new IPs, interesting exclusives and their classic franchises to created a good unique library, their big mistake was oversaturating the NSMB games, they should have held the 3DS version back. For me as a gamer, i much prefer what Nintendo have done with Wii U compared to what they did with the Wii, unfortunately the mass market dont think this.

Mario Kart is a series in decline and is a perfect example of what I'm saying. It is a series being killed by Nintendo's reluctance to build new IP and attract new customers to the console.

considering how much both Mario Kart DS (22.94) and Mario Kart Wii (34.64 million) have its kinda hard to top both considering how considering to the gamedatabase on this site there have only been a total of 19 games to have ever sold over 20 million copies and also Mario Kart 8 is just right behind 64 for the third highest selling entry in the series so it aint really a decline 

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=mario+kart

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/

The problem with that database is that it separtaes different SKU's of a single game. But actually when we say how much a game has sold we talk about its sales across all platforms combined. Taking that into consideration the actual number of games which have sold over 20 million units is well over 30 games.

i didn't even notice that wish though there was a way to selling the highest selling games of all time combining the numbers for mulitplats but it appears this site doesn't have that list unforituately. 

Around the Network
animegaming said:

I don't really subscribe to the view that Wii sales should just be seen as some anomaly and all Nintendo should hope for is selling ~15 million consoles and accepting that their franchises will just constantly decline in sales. As a publicly traded company Nintendo can't accept that. If they're not achieving growth, let alone undergoing massive decline the company will be taken over and die. And as a Nintendo fan I don't want that to happen.

MK8 will probably end up selling a quarter of what MKWii sold. That is catastrophic. As I said in the OP, there is a thousand reasons the Wii U is a flop, but I think the lack of new IP to get new customers on board is definitely a key one.

NickK said:
Complaining gamers are the worst ever. No comments here.

1 UP

The opening message start on a wrong assumption.

Nintendo franchises are not declining. The problem lay in the hardware, the marketing, the pricing, not in the software. Nintendo is back at the GC level and it has nothing to do with a lack of "new IP".

The only thing that allow the Wii U to survive is Nintendo franchise. Without that, the Wii U would have died already.

New IP are just an old fantasm of pseudo hardcore gamers with no influence on the market, nothing more.

Lucas-Rio said:

Nintendo franchises are not declining. The problem lay in the hardware, the marketing, the pricing, not in the software. Nintendo is back at the GC level and it has nothing to do with a lack of "new IP".

The only thing that allow the Wii U to survive is Nintendo franchise. Without that, the Wii U would have died already.

New IP are just an old fantasm of pseudo hardcore gamers with no influence on the market, nothing more.

Please list three Nintendo franchise that have experienced growth between Wii/DS and Wii U/3DS.

I'll be impressed if you can do one actually.

The bolded is just patently wrong. As I have shown, the success of the Wii was mainly built on the success of new IP to the Wii/DS generation.

Purple said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Please list three Nintendo franchise that have experienced growth between Wii/DS and Wii U/3DS.

I'll be impressed if you can do one actually.

The bolded is just patently wrong. As I have shown, the success of the Wii was mainly built on the success of new IP to the Wii/DS generation.

The success on the Wii was based on motion control, not on "new ip".

The only reason why licence did not grow from Wii/DS to Wii U/3DS is poo hardware sales.

Nintendo franchise are not declining, they are selling less because much less hardware has been sold. That's all. A lot of thse franchise grew a lot from GC to Wii.