By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think Nintendo learned from the name confusion?

Will Nintendo's next handheld and console have fresh new names?

Yes 75 53.57%

No 65 46.43%

Total:140

The new New 3DS makes it even worse. It is not just a new model because it will have exclusive games like Xenoblade.

Around the Network
naruball said:
Shadowfest3 said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Well... They hired a staff dedicated to naming so yea, I think they did... Just not for this generation :/

http://www.p4rgaming.com/nintendo-hires-staff-solely-dedicated-to-naming-new-products-to-prevent-names-like-new-nintendo-3ds/

Oh wow!  I didn't know they hired a whole staff just to prevent the name confusion debacle in the future.  Let's hope this helps with the next gen home and handheld consoles.

Satire. 

OT: We have no idea. The new3ds is a perfectly fine name since it's simply a new model and not a successor. We really can't draw any conclusions based on that.

Oh, okay...gotcha.  Lol.  Yeah, I agree with you on the newer model of the 3DS and it's name being alright.  I actually really want to get one of the newer models.  I hope I can save up the money for it.

NightDragon83 said:
I don't see them dropping the "Wii" moniker for their console brand. Microsoft has the "Xbox" brand and Sony has the "PlayStation" brand which are pretty much guaranteed to continue into the next generation and beyond. For better or worse, Nintendo seems to be stuck with the "Wii" branding for the time being for better or worse.

THEY REALLY NEED TO. The wii brand carries no power in 2014. LIterally none. Yet at the same time it'll probably scare tons of ''mature'' users away. 

Nintendo has Nintendo and that is all they need. NES, SNES, N64. All names synonymous with greatness. Gamecube and wii not so much.

etking said:

The new New 3DS makes it even worse. It is not just a new model because it will have exclusive games like Xenoblade.

Its not their next gen handheld and the exclusive experiences are as off yet no concern to the masses. Even the DSi had a few exclusive experiences.

Have you guys not been paying attention to Soundwave....their next hardware is going to be called Fusion. :D

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Well... They hired a staff dedicated to naming so yea, I think they did... Just not for this generation :/

http://www.p4rgaming.com/nintendo-hires-staff-solely-dedicated-to-naming-new-products-to-prevent-names-like-new-nintendo-3ds/

p4rgaming? Seems legit, brah!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I don't think they've learnt yet. Look at the New 3DS.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

TheWPCTraveler said:
I don't think they've learnt yet. Look at the New 3DS.

I don't get how that'll confuse people that much...

Ninten78 said:

Do you think Nintendo's next handheld and console will have different names totally from their predecessor?,in other words will they have fresh new names? Being a lot of people were confused over Wii to Wii U.Have they learnt anything from reuseing part of a old name for a new console?

Names just one of many mistaked that Nintendo did this generation. Names for the product determined by the marketing and business decision Nintendo will make for the future, what is the targeted market, how big and which consumer they will sell the console or the handled? The question is "Do you think Nintendo learned from the Marketing decision they made by confusing  the consumer ". But my answer for your qestion is : they learned but we don't know what kind of move Nintendo will make with names, if they want to sell the console for the same  consumer they will use the same name or some similarity on the previous names.

The reason is that they didn't want to separate themselves too much from their massively successful 7th gen systems. It makes sense logically, put in practice it didn't work so well, for the Wii U at least.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash