By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Factor 5 talks unreleased Wii Project: "the technically most impressive thing you would ever see on [Wii]."

Tagged games:

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/10/10/more-cancelled-star-wars-games-revealed

Once their exclusivity period with Sony ended, Factor 5 turned their attention back toward the Wii, particularly interested because of the advancements in motion controls Nintendo had made with the all-new Wii Motion Plus.

Now able to start creating something new for the platform, the team decided to resurrect one of their previous projects: the Star Wars trilogy originally slated for the first Xbox.

After salvaging the code, the team found that the slightly-more-powerful Gamecube hardware found inside the Wii would make transitioning the game from an old generation to new relatively easy.

Eggebrecht explains that making the game work on a modern console was only a matter of tweaking the already-existing systems in the half-finished game.

"...we had our old trilogy project, which we had fifty percent done, which was basically putting Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike with new content, [along] with fixing some of the mistakes, redoing completely the cameras, and everything."

It was important to the team that the trilogy would run on any possible control scheme, including both the Gamecube controller and some of the Wii's peripherals.

There is an artistic loss of that game, which I think everybody on the team agrees is the best work they've ever done...

"...we wanted to support every single control that you could imagine. So, for the flight sequences, you could, for example, choose to have the Mario Kart wheel to actually control your X-Wing, together with the balance board, which would control the pedals."

Space combat wasn't the only focus, however. According to Eggebrecht, there were also speeder bike racing levels, third-person action sequences, and even lightsaber battles making the most of the Wii Motion Plus' 1:1 controls.

An all-new graphics engine had the game running at 60 frames per second (fps), with a visual fidelity Eggebrecht is still proud of.

"Believe me, if you ever saw it running on the Wii at 60 [fps], it is by far - and I think I'm not overstating that - the technically most impressive thing you would ever see on [Wii]."

The Wii trilogy was eventually finished, but once again, Factor 5's Star Wars project was shut down.

Eggebrecht largely attributes the cancellation to the financial crisis of 2008 and the fact that the team had taken it upon themselves to self-fund the project in order to claim a larger "piece of the pie" once it was distributed. It didn't help that two of their potential publishers for other projects went bankrupt, and LucasArts was having "their own financial woes."

Multiple companies stepped in to help out with publishing, but financial hardship, legal snafus, and budgetary restrictions ultimately led to the project's final cancellation.

Around the Network

RIP Factor 5 ;~; You are missed

This game sounds wonderful...I never really understood unreleased, finished games...

This is depressing. I would of bought it.

Damn! Now I wish I could see it cause it sounds awesome T_T

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

It's a tragedy that we never got to see what the Wii was fully capable of visually because these guys, who figured out the architecture better than anyone, never got to release a game for it.

Around the Network

Nintendo should have funded it. Oh wait, why would they waste money on it when the Wii was already a cash making machine and didn't need help selling games at the time?

They should fund it now that they need all the games they could get!

We need someone to leak the unfinished beta, like with Starfox 2 on SNES.

This is probably the most important game Nintendo should have funded.

At least they're learning to fund other games now.

You can't imagine how furious I am that this game was literally completed yet never saw the light of day.

the_dengle said:
You can't imagine how furious I am that this game was literally completed yet never saw the light of day.

You and me both.