By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How powerful will Nintendo's next handheld be?

The handheld and console will share the same architecture, but I expect the handheld to be weaker, for obvious reasons. Likely a modern Vita 480p screen, the console will be much more powerful.

Around the Network
radishhead said:
zorg1000 said:
radishhead said:
It won't be a traditional "handheld" as such, I don't think. I think it'll be very closely linked to Nintendo's next home console.

i agree, i think they will be very similar in hardware and have access to all the same games. the major difference will be that the console will be more powerful than the handheld and plays the games at a higher resolution/frame rate(720p/30fps vs 1080p/60fps).

handheld=between Vita & Wii U in power

console=mildly more powerful than Wii U, similar to GC-Wii

but u didnt answer the question lol how powerful do u think it will be?

I think the next console will be a handheld and a console in one, using stream technology and such! So the handheld will be just as powerful as the next console.

idk that kinda goes against what Iwata has recently said about making the handheld and console be more like brothers and having different form factors. that kinda rules out a 2 in 1 device.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

A little less powerful than the wiiU if their previous systems are anything to go by

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

A little big more powerful then Vita

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

I think the improved new 3ds's 3d screen says they're serious about 3d and will keep it. That's fine with me as I like 3d. I would also imagine a similar dual screen device for the sake of backwards compatibility.

This is the thing. I don't see (Other than raw power and screen quality and rez) where they can go. Incremental updates as seen with the New 3ds might be all the system ever needs.

Around the Network

It will power the sun.

Lube Me Up

Similar to Vita, not 720p.

hinch said:
WhiteEaglePL said:
I think at least 1.2x the Vita....and HD.

And I don't care, the most important thing it NEEDS are dual screens.

That would be an incredibly underwelming system (in terms of specs) for a 2016-2017 console. Current mobile SOC's are WAY beyond that now.

Would you buy a Nintendo handheld for the price of an Iphone 6?  I would not.  And since Vita is visually pretty sufficient I dont see a problem here.

Add more shaders/effects  1024x576 resolution (FF13 on 360 uses that) and some other stuff etc and it should be fine.

Everything is better than 400x240

the_dengle said:

u dont think it will be moderatelt more powerful than Vita?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
the_dengle said:

u dont think it will be moderatelt more powerful than Vita?

Maybe a little bit. No greater than the power gap between 3DS and PSP.