By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - “We would not limit a game’s resolution” says Ubisoft

Are these guys for real?!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
pokoko said:
The policy going forward for game studios should be to never let their developers talk to the press. They aren't trained for it, they don't understand that people are just looking to be offended if at all possible. Seriously, the gaming community has a high number of entitled baby-heads that will fly into an outrage over anything. Simply don't give them the chance. If you say something incorrect, you will NEVER be able to clarify or take it back. It's impossible. It will always, always be met with "YOUDFSDFL YOU LIE YOU LIE OMG BOYCOTT." The truth doesn't matter because the worst will always be the one that's believed.

It's sad but I think we're headed for a period where we only get official PR. I hate that but, in an outrage culture like ours, it makes sense.

Like the catastrophe of having no playable female character in FF XV, right ?

You know, there are two sides for the story. what you are saying is true for the most part, there are a lot of misinterpreting and exaggerating going on. But there is also the bad practice of the companies, Ubisoft case is a clear example of this. Wouldn't it be better for everyone if they just avoided this kind of practice ? but yeah, If they not going to change that they better just keep quiet about it.

Arcturus said:
pokoko said:
The policy going forward for game studios should be to never let their developers talk to the press. They aren't trained for it, they don't understand that people are just looking to be offended if at all possible. Seriously, the gaming community has a high number of entitled baby-heads that will fly into an outrage over anything. Simply don't give them the chance. If you say something incorrect, you will NEVER be able to clarify or take it back. It's impossible. It will always, always be met with "YOUDFSDFL YOU LIE YOU LIE OMG BOYCOTT." The truth doesn't matter because the worst will always be the one that's believed.

It's sad but I think we're headed for a period where we only get official PR. I hate that but, in an outrage culture like ours, it makes sense.

It really is unfortunate that developers can no longer openly discuss the game they are working on due to fear of causing an outrage. Calling for a boycott was definately an overreaction to this bit of news. Now most communications about a game have to go through shitty PR channels and speak in half-truths.

What is wrong with teh two of you???? Reallly....

• You are paying $60 for something. And you are one of a potential 17M people that could be paying $60. If Ubisoft or any publisher sells 6M copies of a game, they have made $360M from what is usually a $30M-$100M investment. In other words, they are getting their money and they are not doing you a favour by fucking trying to get that money from your own pockets. You better damn well feel entitled to get the most for your money.

• And yes, maybe devs should not talk without whatever they are saying first going through PR. You are dealing with people and you have to respect that people are diffeent, if you don't care about that, then deal with the consequences.

• And drop that whole giving them a chance BS and openly discuss stuff. You can discuss stuff as openly as you want to, that doesn't mean that when you say nonsense you shouldn't be called out for it. And all we are asking for is honesty, if your practices lead you to do things that you cannot be honest about then try and bullshit people about it... tehn don't be surprised when they call you out on it.

• And the whole boycot thing wasn't an over-reaction. If they had just told me that hey your game is gonna be 900p@30fps.... that would have been fine. But when you literally open your big mouth and tell someone that their game is being "limited to avoid debates"... don't be surprised if those people decide to "limit" how much money the spend on you. Sounds fair if you ask me.  

Mad55 said:
People who are saying gat if they had just announced it at 30fps and 900p on both and said nothing else then know one would have said a thug are wrong. One consoles a bit stronger than the other fanboys were gonna rafe regardless honestly. Sometimes it seems like gamers think their being taken for fools when really their just out of the loop on certain aspects. None of you helped develop that game yet you wanna claim certain things lime parity as fact for this game, bullshit. Sometimes gamers,would benefit from shutting the hell up and just enjoying the damn games.

It wouldn't be the first time. 

Simple fact of the matter is that there are so many ways they could have gone about this.

• the PS4 version is running at a rock solid 30fps at 900p. And we were able to get the XB1 version running identically. END.
The fanboys will just go and look for arbitiary things like shadow maps, texture detail, amount of geometry, more stable 30fps...something else to use and discren how the PS4 version is the better version. But that would not be UBIs problem and would not have caused this shit storm that they caused.
You simply do NOT. Open come out and say in this day and age that all it takes is a few minutes for news to spread globally.... that you LIMITED the specs of your game to avoid debates. No one has to develop this game to claim parity. Learn to fucking read. They said it themselves.
And honestly, people like you should just shut the hell up if you think yo have a right to tell others how to think or feel. Cause its people like you MS made the XB1 for. Ignorant gullible people that probably can't tell their left from their right. If gamers just shut up and played the games as you suggested... right now it would be impossible to buy used games, you would have to sign onto a service to be able to play the games that you are paying $60 for...etc. You know why none of that happened? Cause some annoying, entitled gamers over reacted and did something about it. 
Honestly, poeple like you irritate me. Because people that can't seem to think o stand for tehmselves irritate the fuck outta me.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Overreaction. ^

This sort of thing has been happening for a long long time....

Around the Network

The irony here is that if no one at Ubisoft had said anything with regards to performance on individual platforms, all of this could have been avoided.

You would think that a corporation the size of Ubi would know this.

Personally, if the performance was announced once the reviews came in and the findings were the game is running identically on both the XB1 and the PS4, I would have just assumed no optimization was done with regards to the PS4.

If I had pre-ordered for bonus incentives, then I would be expecting/hoping for a resolution patch based on how they handled AC4. If I hadn't, then I would be doing what I'm going to do anyway which is hold out for a resolution patch. If it doesn't happen, I may end picking it up when it's heavily discounted for the PS4, or just buy it for the PC during a Steam sale.

Intrinsic said:
Arcturus said:

It really is unfortunate that developers can no longer openly discuss the game they are working on due to fear of causing an outrage. Calling for a boycott was definately an overreaction to this bit of news. Now most communications about a game have to go through shitty PR channels and speak in half-truths.

What is wrong with teh two of you???? Reallly....

• You are paying $60 for something. And you are one of a potential 17M people that could be paying $60. If Ubisoft or any publisher sells 6M copies of a game, they have made $360M from what is usually a $30M-$100M investment. In other words, they are getting their money and they are not doing you a favour by fucking trying to get that money from your own pockets. You better damn well feel entitled to get the most for your money.

• And yes, maybe devs should not talk without whatever they are saying first going through PR. You are dealing with people and you have to respect that people are diffeent, if you don't care about that, then deal with the consequences.

• And drop that whole giving them a chance BS and openly discuss stuff. You can discuss stuff as openly as you want to, that doesn't mean that when you say nonsense you shouldn't be called out for it. And all we are asking for is honesty, if your practices lead you to do things that you cannot be honest about then try and bullshit people about it... tehn don't be surprised when they call you out on it.

• And the whole boycot thing wasn't an over-reaction. If they had just told me that hey your game is gonna be 900p@30fps.... that would have been fine. But when you literally open your big mouth and tell someone that their game is being "limited to avoid debates"... don't be surprised if those people decide to "limit" how much money the spend on you. Sounds fair if you ask me.  

Don't get me wrong, what was said in the initial statement (We've locked both versions of the game “to avoid all the debates and stuff”) was incredibly stupid and hints that the decision may have been made to appease the company paying for the exclusive marketing for the game.

As I've said in other posts, it is really unfortunate that they have made the decision to not utilize the PS4 to it's full potential. There are many examples, including Assassins Creed IV and Watch Dogs, showing that the PS4 is capable of outputting at higher resolutions than the Xbox One.

That being said, I still think it is an overreaction to call for a boycott of the game over this.

RolStoppable said:
Mummelmann said:
This comes in the middle of the AC: Unity fallout and only months after the severe downgrade of Watchdogs? The bigger a developer grows; they more full of BS they become. Let's hope we don't have another EA or Activision in the making.

Ubisoft is already Europe's EA, so that ship has sailed a long time ago.

I guess you're right, sadly...

They just kicked up a massive shit storm by trying to avoid a massive shit storm.

archer9234 said:
Dear god. These guys need to stop talking. This is doing nothing but making people complain about the game.

This, or more so these guys need to say 1 thing that sounds even 50% like it could be the truth.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive