By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - WW HW for week ending October 4th, X1 comes close but couldn't pass PS4. China release + FH2. SW for USA and UK

It's really over without any surprise actually. Congrats Beast PS4.

Around the Network
cheshirescat said:
Huh, if i weren't for Japan ps4 may not have been able to hold the top spot that week, well depending on the margin of error and whatever adjustments may be made.

"if it weren't for...."

The classical go to excuse of the sore loser. While you are at it we could also be saying, if XB1 didn't launch in china they wouldn't have broken 100k. If XB1 didn't drop their price they would be doing wiiU like numbers or less. Blah blah blah..... No one told MS to not sell more in japan.

And the thing about error margins and adjustments, this week I have heard more about error margins more than any other week ever since I have been here. Is this because the XB1 is just 6-7k units less than the PS4? So error margins means it could basically be more right? But doesn't that work both ways? Couldn't these error margins also mean the XB1 were over tracked and it sold even less, or that the PS4 was undertracked and sold more? 

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Welp, When Sony wins, they really win!

Well technically they won last gen aswell. But that was a tight one!

Essentially sony have never lost in regards to home consoles and the only reason they came close was because of their incompetence with the PS3's development.

I feel like people have stopped discussing the Wii U's numbers, why is that? Is it all over, is the generation firmly carved up?

But even if we accept the order: PS4, XB1, Wii U, I still feel there are relevant questions. Do most people still think the Wii U can sell over 22 million and thereby challenge the GC? Looks like it's headed for 15-18 mil territory.

reggin_bolas said:
I feel like people have stopped discussing the Wii U's numbers, why is that? Is it all over, is the generation firmly carved up?

But even if we accept the order: PS4, XB1, Wii U, I still feel there are relevant questions. Do most people still think the Wii U can sell over 22 million and thereby challenge the GC? Looks like it's headed for 15-18 mil territory.

In my opinion the Wii U won't sell over 20 million. Sales have been absolutely dismal and whilst Smash Bros will boost hardware sales, I don't think it will elevate it to over 100,000 units per week(that is Wii U units, not copies of Smash Bros). Wii U fanboys talk about the how 2015 will be great for the Wii U because of the line up but really, other than a new Zelda/3d Mario/Mario Kart/maybe Star Fox, I don't see the baseline rising dramatically and certainly not for a long time. I don't think games like Splatoon, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta II etc get masses rushing out to buy a console... Just my opinion...

Around the Network
globalisateur said:
Burek said:
cheshirescat said:
Huh, if i weren't for Japan ps4 may not have been able to hold the top spot that week, well depending on the margin of error and whatever adjustments may be made.

Why even make such nonsensical statements? And get it wrong after all.

If it were not for Japan:

PS4: 185,963 - 7,053 = 178,910

XO:  179,014 - 1,256 = 177,758

The original post didn't make any sense at all, there was no need to make you valid point.

"if it weren't for Japan", because both are sold in japan, so it's fair to include Japan IMO.

On the other hand, PS4 has still not released in China, so to be really fair we really shouldn't include China in the numbers:

"If it were not for China then XB1 would be crushed by PS4 this week instead of this slight PS4 lead"

I would simply say that coming closer to PS4 in a single week because of Launch in new Territories means nothing, not even worth a new Thread.

The week ending Oct the 11th will show again the huge Gap.

PS4 is owning this Gen in selling numbers, let's enjoy the Game expeience and let's stop to be obsessed by sales :)

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

teigaga said:

Essentially sony have never lost in regards to home consoles and the only reason they came close was because of their incompetence with the PS3's development.

How can you say the sony won last gen? Give credit where credit is due. Nintendo were the winers of the 7th gen. The got to 100M before anyone else and with a gap of over ~20M from their nearest competitor.  Sony eventually clawed their way back to second place but at the end of the day, Sony were the biggest losers of the 7th gen.

Glad to see Shadow of Mordor doing so well on the charts, well beyond my hopes both in sales and reviews! Hardware numbers are decent, PS4 pretty close to the corresponding week for the Wii in 2007 (which was around 192k but with severe supply problems), let's see if it manages the climb to the 300's before the end of the month.

Nate4Drake said:

I would simply say that coming closer to PS4 in a single week because of Launch in new Territories means nothing, not even worth a new Thread.

The week ending Oct the 11th will show again the huge Gap.

PS4 is owning this Gen in selling numbers, let's enjoy the Game expeience and let's stop to be obsessed by sales :)

Well, you are right about it not meaning anything coming close on a week when hardware is launched in a new territory. By next week numbers will fall again and in the grand scheme of things the baseline is more important. And not bumps. 

Don't get the logic in saying on a site meant for sales tracking and discussion that people should stop being obsessed about sales though. There is as much sense in that as going on amazon and saying people should stop looking for things to buy.

Intrinsic said:
teigaga said:

How can you say the sony won last gen? Give credit where credit is due. Nintendo were the winers of the 7th gen. The got to 100M before anyone else and with a gap of over ~20M from their nearest competitor.  Sony eventually clawed their way back to second place but at the end of the day, Sony were the biggest losers of the 7th gen.

I genuinely forgot that Nintendo even released a console last gen, my mind just thought ps3 vs 360 lol. And yes if you're speaking financially then thats also a whole different ball game.