By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it logic to combine 3DS and N3DS sales ?

Logic to combine?

Yes 228 79.72%

No 36 12.59%

I don't realy konw 21 7.34%

Total:285

I'm sure Nintendo will continue to talk about sales of the "3DS family," so I'd say yes, they should be combined.

I think one of the key factors is that the introduction of the New 3DS and New 3DS exclusives is not going to 'kill off' the 3DS. Even if the original 3DS hardware is discontinued, there will still be new (with a lowercase n) 3DS games being made that are compatible with it. Probably most 3DS games released after the release of the New 3DS will still work on original 3DS systems.

That's reliant on this being a one-time thing like the DSi. If Nintendo keeps iterating on the 3DS hardware every couple of years, they're going to find themselves on the same slippery slope as Apple, who usually combines every iPhone sold in the past 7 years, despite the phone having drastically different specs and features from an iteration just a few years before or after.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

Yes, it's a marginal improvement, with an improved CPU and presumably more RAM, but it's not a generational leap like the jump from the GB/GBC to GBA, or GBA to DS, or DS to 3DS. It's still the same generation as the 3DS. Incidentally, the DSi also had improved specs over previous models of the DS, with an improved CPU and more RAM, though to my knowledge there were no games designed to run specifically on it like with the GBC and the New 3DS.

Actually the DSi did have exclusive software but no one really gave a damn about them sooo ...

GBC to GBA wasn't much of a generational leap either yet Nintendo counted it separately from the GB/GBC. If anything GB to GBC was the bigger leap in terms of hardware yet GBC is counted as the marginal upgrade compared from GBC to GBA ...

They should be... it's like Game Boy Vanilla/Pocket/Color and Nintendo DS/DSi...

glimmer_of_hope said:

Yes. And Wii/Wii U combined sales confirmed. 108 million sales for the Wii U

That's not the same thing at all...

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Shadow1980 said:

Game Boy (original & Pocket)

CPU: 4.19 MHz 8-bit custom Sharp LR35902
Memory: 8 kB SRAM, 8 kB VRAM
Cartridge Capacity: 1 MB max.
Screen Resolution: 160 x 144 px
Colors: 4 shades of "grey"
Sound: 2 pulse wave generators, 1 PCM 4-bit wave sample (64 4-bit samples played in 1×64 bank or 2×32 bank) channel, 1 noise generator, and one audio input from the cartridge. Mono speaker, but compatible with stereo headphones.

Game Boy Color

CPU: 8 MHz 8-bit Zilog Z-80
Memory: 32 kB RAM, 16 kB VRAM
Cartridge Capacity: 4 MB max.
Screen Resolution: 160 x 144 px
Colors: 56 simultaneous colors max., depending on game
Sound: 2 pulse wave generators, 1 PCM 4-bit wave sample (64 4-bit samples played in 1×64 bank or 2×32 bank) channel, 1 noise generator, and one audio input from the cartridge. Mono speaker, but compatible with stereo headphones.

Game Boy Advance

CPU: 16.8 MHz 32-bit ARM7TDMI
Memory: 256 kB WRAM (outside the CPU) 32 kB + 96 kB VRAM (internal to the CPU)
Cartrdige Capacity: 32 MB max.
Screen Resolution: 240 x 160 px
Colors: 511 simultaneous colors in character mode; 32,768 simultaneous colors in bitmap mode
Sound: Dual 8-bit DAC for stereo sound (called Direct Sound), plus all legacy channels from Game Boy. Mono speaker, but compatible with stereo headphones.

The GBA was a considerably larger leap over the GBC than the GBC was over the original Game Boy. The GBC was still essentially in the same generation as the original Game Boy, with both having 8-bit CPUs, the same screen resolution, and the same audio. It had some improvements beyond a color display, but it wasn't a truly massive leap like the GBA was. The GBA was Nintendo's first true "next-gen" handheld. The GBC was not. The GBA could play games that were roughly the same quality as SNES games, something the GBC was incapable of.

GB to GBC was a MASSIVE improvement ... The introduction of colour is huge as it adds a dimension to technical prowess. The how many bits arguments got old really fast. 

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
It's a new console, more power, exclusive games, backwards compatible. Except for some reason they didn't change the name.

Is in effect same as GC/Wii.

So the Gamecube sold 123 million units. There is no way the PS3 will catch that.

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:
They should be... it's like Game Boy Vanilla/Pocket/Color and Nintendo DS/DSi...

Was there anyone who wanted DSi and DS sales counted separately? If not, why is the 3DS a special case?

Well... The DS sales included DSi and the DSi had exclusive games so... Yea!

Plus its just a slight upgrade, its not a brand new next gen Nintendo handheld so theres that... Plus they are combining vita + vita TV but the vita has exclusives so yea, it doesn't make any sense not to if they did it for both the Vita and the DS

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Deeds said:
KylieDog said:
It's a new console, more power, exclusive games, backwards compatible. Except for some reason they didn't change the name.

So the Gamecube sold 123 million units. There is no way the PS3 will catch that.

Well, seeing as each Wii is in fact two GameCubes stick together I think you need revise your figures.

hsrob said:
Deeds said:
KylieDog said:

Well, seeing as each Wii is in fact two GameCubes stick together I think you need revise your figures.

Calm down man, I was just being facetious. Everyone knows the Wii is not a Gamecube and the ["new" 3DS] is not a new handheld.