By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you like Destiny or are you just conditioned to?

If people say they like a game it's condescending to say otherwise.

Personally, I find there are many games that I find more addictive than fun. This includes many games that require grinding for levels like mmo's, or games like the sims or theme park. I'm not saying these games are all bad but they are more successful at pushing the buttons to get me addicted than at giving me a satisfying experience.

Around the Network

I think its an addictive game. An addictive grinder, and the raids are actually really good stuff though should have been better rewarding.

But yeah addictive, take an alcoholic for instance, I doubt any alcoholic will describe alcohol as sweet, but that doesn't stop them from drinking it.

But now the real question is, why do some people believe that the people that say they love the game don't live it simply cause the hate certain parts about it? I hated certain parts about demon souls, God of war 3, Uncharted 2 and definaately the last of us.... that doesn't mean I didn't love the games overall.

No matter what you feel about the game, it shouldn't have such crazy sales day one and the first week.
We are quickly approaching a video game crash again...

Budgets are flying through the roof, but are justified by day one sales. One day, such a game will flop. People will get burnt, for real, and ACTUALLY learn a lesson. At that point, the gaming industry will be way too big to sustain...

Chill out with the pre-orders! Make sure you are informed and that the game you're buying is actually (in your own opinion) good!

Its a great game. Most of those games that score much higher dont hold people like this does. The thing is people will say its the same strikes or whatever over and over, but with PUGs they literally play differently each time (if you go in a group of 3 I would suspect it would feel more similiar)

I still find myself wandering on Patrol shooting stuff, finding chest, and doing missions and enjoying it. I love Diablo games, but this game takes the loot grind which I like and adds more addicting gameplay to it. It just plays so well.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

jlmurph2 said:

Destiny's PvP is what people didn't like about Halo 4's multiplayer x10. Tell me exactly what makes it better?

I wake up now I need to go work now so I will explain better tonight.

Destiny PVP is a evolution of Halo: Reach MP that is way better than Halo 4 MP... to be fair for me Destiny PVP is the best one from Bungie since Halo 2 MP and it can surpass it just because Destiny is a fixed game (it was created to dinamicly receive new enhancemnts and features).

What make Halo 4 MP bad were poor maps, poor playlists, loadouts, randomly spawning weapons, wesk progression system, poor matchmaking, bugs, more bugs and bugs.

Another thing that surprises me is how balanced Destiny MP is... there is no consensus which weapon is the best one because there is no best one... I faced teams of Shutguns, Auto Rifle, Fusion Rifle, Snipe Rifle, Scot Rifle, hand canon etc... all have success playing the game and mastering the use of these weapons... no matter what weapon you choose you can kill your opponent... of course there is one or two weapons reward on Raid that are a bit OP but that can be fixed and it is hard to find somebody with these in the matches.

The Supers add variaties too... every super have strong and weak points... so you need to choose and use careful.

Around the Network
alternine said:

Its just sad that gamers on the internet ride the hate train even if they never played it themselves.  

This is a big part of gaming culture on the Internet. Happens more now than ever before, on countless games and game companies. The whole landscape has changed into something childish, and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth when I think that I am in some way associated these people.

To answer the OP, I like Destiny.  I like it about as much as I can given that I am forced into using a control scheme I don't like.  I'd like the game a lot more if I could use a mouse and keyboard.

Experimental42 said:
Can you explain why it's better? I was just seeing if you'd been exposed to the grind and how susceptable you were to addictive elements.

I like grind since FF on NES.... so I'm not being exposed to grind in Destiny... I'm the guy that try to max levels already in the first places (even if I need to kill 1000x the same enemie to level up) and steal every single enemie in the games I play... I like to have all item/weapons/gears in my inventory in good quantity (I hardly sell anything... if I need I kill more enemies for money)... I love stats and like to max out all of them (like FFVII where I reach 255 for all attributes for the three main chars).

So I like grinding and farming.

But so far I did not grind at all in Destiny... sure the levels/missions can be the same but each time you have a different experience since the fact you play in another style or you team make you play in a different way... that is really fun... even playing the same Strike I already saw a lot of variaties that  makes me want to play even more it with different persons.

I love how I start a Nightfall Strike and people on GAF or my friend list jump with me to try to beat it in the best way possible... it is awesome.

The reward system no botter me too because I think random is the best way for reward/drops... it is how you differenciate the guys with gears and weapons... not everybody can have the same... you are random rewarded so each played have differents gears/weapons... and I like even the random in the Crucile because everybody have chance to get better gears but I think they can increase the chances for top players but not removing it from bad players.

What amazes me is how the gameplay in Destiny is solid and bug free... it is something that you enjoy just killing enemies or players in the battlefield... the MMO elements are a plus and make the things more interesting but the gameplay is top notch is what make Destiny better than others games... for example I loved Warframe but the gameplay is subpar... it is really average.

The customizations and level up are really great... there is enough varieties for all types of players... the sub-class are balanced and well unique.

I love this game... I have fun with it that I never had in others games.

There are issues in the social aspects like lack of ingame chat, ingame clan support, etc but how you drop in/off a battle with a friend or random is amazing... brazilian or outsiders guys that I never talked come to talk and play together... I start playing alone and in less than 1 minute I already have guys playing with me.

The overall experience is brilhant.

I guessed the Raid will be hard to play without matchmacking or my lack of English skills... the mode will become a nich mode but I was wrong... everybody make fireteam for Raids and sent requests to me... I receive over 10 requests for Raid everyday and everytime I check my players list there are three, four, five or more guys playing Raid.

It is a game that make people play together in an amazing way.

And you know what is better? It is a constant evolutive world... Destiny will grow each week, month, year... it will fix flaws, add more amazing features, it will become better and better.

They created a game to holds the whole generation because the game is alive.

BTW most people I see here trying to downplay the game didn't play it at all... I don't understand if you don't like or play it why cares at all

Lack of anything else out there similar to is is probably whats fueling peoples desire to burn time into it.

I have no problem spending countess hours on a game I dont necessarily think is ''great'', like Borderlands 2 or MAG but at least Borderlands 2 had charm and quirkyness to it and MAG had a great sense of achievement.

I was more than happy to give Desitny a chance but the game was too hollow.

FragilE^ said:
No matter what you feel about the game, it shouldn't have such crazy sales day one and the first week.
We are quickly approaching a video game crash again...

Budgets are flying through the roof, but are justified by day one sales. One day, such a game will flop. People will get burnt, for real, and ACTUALLY learn a lesson. At that point, the gaming industry will be way too big to sustain...

Chill out with the pre-orders! Make sure you are informed and that the game you're buying is actually (in your own opinion) good!

For my experience it deservers more and more sales.

Who is right?

Destiny is showing to the game industry how to make great and fun games... they are reaching a new level of gaming for me.

Opinions... opinions... that what differenciates everything.

I loved and you hated.

I'm sure there are more millions in your side like there are more million in my side.

Destiny is a huge success for me and these others millions.

ethomaz said:

jlmurph2 said:

Destiny's PvP is what people didn't like about Halo 4's multiplayer x10. Tell me exactly what makes it better?

I wake up now I need to go work now so I will explain better tonight.

Destiny PVP is a evolution of Halo: Reach MP that is way better than Halo 4 MP... to be fair for me Destiny PVP is the best one from Bungie since Halo 2 MP and it can surpass it just because Destiny is a fixed game (it was created to dinamicly receive new enhancemnts and features).

What make Halo 4 MP bad were poor maps, poor playlists, loadouts, randomly spawning weapons, wesk progression system, poor matchmaking, bugs, more bugs and bugs.

Another thing that surprises me is how balanced Destiny MP is... there is no consensus which weapon is the best one because there is no best one... I faced teams of Shutguns, Auto Rifle, Fusion Rifle, Snipe Rifle, Scot Rifle, hand canon etc... all have success playing the game and mastering the use of these weapons... no matter what weapon you choose you can kill your opponent... of course there is one or two weapons reward on Raid that are a bit OP but that can be fixed and it is hard to find somebody with these in the matches.

The Supers add variaties too... every super have strong and weak points... so you need to choose and use careful.

Im just gonna go ahead and say I disagree with this whole post. Poor maps? There were at least some balanced maps and not totally asymmetric. Poor playlists?? Destiny has 5 playlists that only goes up to 12 players. (Iron banner is not a playlist since you're playing nothing but the same Control every time). Poor loadouts? Try spawning in with a freaking power weapon that can one shot anyone in the game. I guess you dont worry about randomly spawning weapons since you can choose whatever power weapons you want by going to the start menu. Weak progression? Destiny's is combined with its pve player level progression besides marks and rep which do nothing after level 3. And then you say poor matchmaking of all things. You cant even TALK TO YOUR MATCHMADE TEAMMATES in Destiny! Thats the poorest thing I've ever seen. You say theres no best weapon and then admit a few are OP. Lol the game is so unbalanced I lone-wolfed a few games of Iron Banner and got 31 kills one game. The fact that you can gain super from other people using their super is broken in pvp. But then again, you wont acknowledge the flaws of Destiny.