By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The Mod Team: Questions, Comments, Concerns? Ask Here!

TruckOSaurus said:
celador said:

I have another question now that I am here

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7052203

I see this kind of post quite often. A user makes a dig at something or someone, and then says OT: ...

In this case, not only is the user making a comment that doesn't add to the conversation, but they make an admission that it is off-topic.

Do you believe this type of comment is worthy of moderation?

Edit: I see this user has already been banned for this specific comment. I assume it is because of the first comment. Just to be clear, I am asking if, in general, the use of the phrase 'OT' is enough to be moderated, as it means a comment has been made that is off-topic, and moreover the user knows that themsleves and decides, in their wisdom, to point it out.

I entirely depends on the comment. In that case, it was an obvious attempt at getting a rise out of users, that's why it was moderated. But there's other cases where there will be no moderation like when someone make a comment about a user's avatar or sig because they just saw it in the thread and then follow up with "OT: ....".

Ok, so as long as it isn't inflammatory, you can be off-topic to an extent

Around the Network
celador said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I entirely depends on the comment. In that case, it was an obvious attempt at getting a rise out of users, that's why it was moderated. But there's other cases where there will be no moderation like when someone make a comment about a user's avatar or sig because they just saw it in the thread and then follow up with "OT: ....".

Ok, so as long as it isn't inflammatory, you can be off-topic to an extent

To an extent, yes. If the off-topic comment turn into an off-topic conversation between a mod might step in to tell them to drop the subject. Moderation is usally reserved for when the comment is flaming/trolling in itself.

Signature goes here!

So what's the verdict on my request?

Ka-pi96 said:
I gotta say this ban seems pretty harsh http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7051857
The post was related to what came before and the mod note says 'all it does is change threads into a "which fanbase is worse?" pissing contest' yet in the post o_O.Q himself tries to bring it back on topic.

What's with it taking 2 days for the ban to happen as well? Seems a bit harsh to ban for older posts, is there any kind of cutt off time where posts are no longer moddable or could someone even be banned for something they said months ago?

What a strange ban...

Consider this a +1

Around the Network

You guys could just bring toastboy back and add in a block feature. The users that are against him can just block him and won't have to see him again. Everyone's happy. I'm just saying this because in the short time I've been here, I've seen many requests to bring him back and I'm trying to provide as many positives as I can to adding a block feature.

Toastboy was a good guy.

While where on that subject i'd also like to see rock_on_2008 back

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Toastboy was fine when he only talked about Xbox, but when he talked about other systems (especially nintendo) he couldn't help but flam/troll. The worst part about toastboy is that he would make bait threads and then report all the users that took the bait.

I wouldn't say toastboy was harmless, as he riled up certain sections of the user base pretty well. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to toastboy coming back on a very short leash. Perhaps his time away has mellowed him, perhaps he could be given a second chance. Kirby was permabanned and was able to come back as a member in good standing. Maybe toastboy will do better with a second chance?

I challenge this moderation ... 

The poster DID NOT attack the user at hand ... 

What he was referring to was another member's belief, not the member itself ...