By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If the Nintendo Fusion is another hardcore gaming system, it won't sell more than the Wii U and 3DS combined.

Soundwave said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Soundwave said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Wait... "Both will share the same library"? Does that mean the that the fusion console/handheld wont have any exclusive games to the respective devices? Cause if thats the case, I think that might be a bad idea cause then the only reason to get the console will just be a graphical upgrade which if the handheld costs, say, 50% less then the cost of the console, it might just have a huge negative effect on the console if not cripple it cause there wont be any reason to buy the console apart from the graphical upgrade and more comfortable controls...

So, I dont think they will do it like that, instead what they will probably do is still have exclusive games to each device and the main benefit of having fusion would be for third parties and the fact that they don't have to train developers to learn separate code for each device and it should take less time to develop games if both use the same code

Anyway, so as for the thread, I think, provided what I said is true, it should give insentive for gamers to buy the respective device. If the console has the third party games this time around and their online is up to snuff, it might start bringing some users back that would otherwise not like the Nintendo platform due to the lack of third parties. As for the 3ds, well, it has games like Pokemon, Monster Hunter, MK and now SSB that should still sell very well so if they do it right, they should sell well above what they are selling currently. Sure, iOS/android devices are bad and they are directly affecting the handheld market but if Nintendo does it right and maybe make their own app store or cut a deal with google and have it android based device with a play store and have games exclusive to their device, it might work

They will have the same games. Just like the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch have the same apps. That's the whole point of the idea. Consumer just chooses which form factor(s) suit their lifestyle. 

The honest truth is the "home variant" likely isn't going to sell that much ... if Fusion sells say 80 million LTD, the home version probably will account for 20 million of that ... but it's just gravy for Nintendo. They longer have to be tied to a sinking console if its not doing well, instead whatever it sells, it's just a bonus for them. 

Besides a "Nintendo PS4" would basically just be a Wii U-2 dead end. No one is going to buy that. If Nintendo is making another traditional console IMO it has to compete with the PS5 (five, not four). And I don't think Nintendo has any intention of going there. 

Fusion home variant can be a nice, very low cost "console", same way VitaTV is dirt cheap. It'll be a very cheap way for a person to get into the Nintendo ecosystem (sub $200 IMO). Honestly is Nintendo even interested in making games with graphics better than the Wii U in 1080P with some prettier shader/lighting effects? Because home Fusion device should be able to deliver that.  

The iphone/ipad/itouch isn't like a console vs handheld though... Those 3 devices are all portable and the only real difference is the screensize and price (and one of them can be used as a phone)...

A console vs handheld is a lot more different cause the console has the ability to have more power than the handheld in order to have more potencial games that cannot be played on the handheld... I think this whole, Nintendo going handheld only is just silly cause again... If it fails, they are doomed and lets face it, no one in their right mind will buy the console version of the handheld just like no one buys the vita TV...

And again, lets not forget how freakishly underpowered it will be compared to the ps5/x2.. Specially if they want to go with x86 which is really bad for heat and it draws power up the ass.. But if they don't then the third parties wont be on board cause they made it clear that they want x86 and nothing else which will once again, lead to the issue of having a lack of third parties... Nintendo, at its core, is a gaming company and if they go with a single sku, then they are in a shit ton of trouble if its not a "one hit wonder" vs going two sku's = lessens the risk

Well one being a phone for example is a pretty huge difference. Besides the different SKUs being different isn't bad really ... it gives incentive for a person to buy both if they have a large investment in the ecosystem already, a person who normally may only buy a Nintendo handheld may say "well gee, it would be nice to play some of these games on TV at home, maybe I'll pick up the Nintendo Fusion Home version too, it's pretty cheap". 

No they can't compete with PS5 (not even sure there will be an XB2) for raw power, but I don't think Nintendo really gives a crap about that anymore. For Nintendo's style, even Wii U level of power suits them just fine, and a Fusion home device honestly could be considerably more powerful than that if they really wanted it to be. I think it could be in the range of 800-900 GFLOPS with 3-4 GB of RAM (for games) and a more modern DX11 style graphical effects. That will result in graphics on screen for Nintendo games that I think most people will be quite happy with, especially if the price point is sub-$200. 

They need to leverage their Virtual Console back catalog better though and this system should also be able to rework Wii U titles so it has a lot of software to play from day 1. 

Two SKUs isn't a benefit on a company if both SKUs are sluggish. Imagine Wii U/3DS were one product line ... in that case, they would be on pace to sell 100 million units between them for one generation (and games like Mario 3D World would have access to a larger userbase) ... in that case a lot of people would be saying Nintendo has had a very successful generation. 

It will also have a negative aspect. If Nintendo does this idea. I won't buy their handhelds anymore. And buy only the console. There's no reason for me to. They'll get my $300 for it. But not my almost $500 for the Wii U and 3DS.

Around the Network

I do believe it will be a single device that can work both as a home console and a handheld. That would be awesome.

Rarely have I seen such a blatantly fake rumor toted around as the real deal for so long for no reason.

JazzB1987 said:

I like his fusion more. Because a portable fusion will be unnecessary expensive. 

If I just want it to be "on the go" i still have to pay for a HDMI connector and bluetooth for 4 controller support etc etc.  Also it will limit the Fusions horsepower since its portable.

And if I just want the thing to be a console I would have to pay for a probably 5" HD touchscreen  buttons slide pads battery etc.

Having 2 seperate systems one for your TV and a portable one gives you the choice.

And btw having 2 systems that run games in e.g 720p medium and the other at 1080 ultra  does not in any way kill the portable at all.  There is just 2 devices isntead of one. The portable probably has no option to add 3 bluetooth controllers etc.

My Fusion is more of a "Nintendo should look into this option when technology allows it"...it may not be feasable in 2-3 years when Nintendo chooses to release their next console(s) but if it is, I think it would be great. Its like an ideal that Nintendo should strive towards as soon as possible...

Honestly, I think the idea of having two separate systems that play the same games is ridiculously stupid, but thats just me. 

the_dengle said:
Rarely have I seen such a blatantly fake rumor toted around as the real deal for so long for no reason.

I don't think we're actually discussing it as a real fact here, at least I'm not. This is all hypothetically. It is an intruiging idea to explore, is it not?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

I think the home variant will be cheaper than the handheld version actually. It will be basically Nintendo's take on this with a few (notable) differences:

Handheld:

Home "Console":

Of course Nintendo's take on this idea will look (probably quite) different, but the above is basically a Fusion platform ... a home and portable that play the same games. 

And the console is tiny because it's simply just re-using the mobile chips inside the Vita ... which is pretty much what I expect Nintendo to do as well. Same chipset as the handheld, just maybe with 2-3x the CPU/GPU cores (mobile chips can scale very easily up and down) and 2x the RAM. This will let the home versions of the Fusion games to run at 1080P when you play them on TV. 

I think probably something more like $219.99 for the portable (will be more tablet styled in form factor rather than like a Vita, ala the Wii U controller). 

$189.99 for the home version with a Pro Controller. 

Now I know Vita is obviously not a success, but Nintendo's approach is massively different because it has the full brunt of Nintendo's software backing plus key Japanese support as well from 3rd parties. I think even Western devs would jump in too -- if it's just one ecosystem, then it's less risk than banking on a platform like the Wii U, which is just one form factor with a tiny userbase. That and by 2016, Nintendo will be able to get mobile chips significantly better than the Vita, allowing for Wii U quality graphics, perhaps even better. 

2 more things;

4k movies will probably be quite widespread when Fusion hits the stores, so scaling up to 1080 probably won't be enough. 4k TVs will only increase in numbers during the Fusions life time

Hasn't it crossed anyone else's mind that Sony might the first to do this? Like Soundwave just said in the post above, they've already done this with Vita and Vita TV. Won't they continue in that direction?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

If they make two different consoles (a portable and a home one) with a SHARED library (meaning, I'll have a single account that shares games between the two consoles, and a CLOUD saving system, meaning I can play the same game with the same savefile on both at any time), that will definitely incentive me to buy both.
But this is a wish that will never come true.
If they were to add this, I guess two different people could share the same library on different devices.
Still, it will be GREAT.
Otherwise, they could sell the home-console as an upgrade kit for the mobile console.
Finally, they could sell both as a single system (like someone already said).

^ A friend system would have to be in order. Like, 1 account per system - which would stop people from handling their codes so people couldn't play for free. That way an account could be used once on the home console and simultaneously on the handheld.
That way two brothers could share the same game on different devices.

Soundwave said:

I think the home variant will be cheaper than the handheld version actually. It will be basically Nintendo's take on this with a few (notable) differences:

Handheld:

Home "Console":

Of course Nintendo's take on this idea will look (probably quite) different, but the above is basically a Fusion platform ... a home and portable that play the same games. 

And the console is tiny because it's simply just re-using the mobile chips inside the Vita ... which is pretty much what I expect Nintendo to do as well. Same chipset as the handheld, just maybe with 2-3x the CPU/GPU cores (mobile chips can scale very easily up and down) and 2x the RAM. This will let the home versions of the Fusion games to run at 1080P when you play them on TV. 

I think probably something more like $219.99 for the portable (will be more tablet styled in form factor rather than like a Vita, ala the Wii U controller). 

$189.99 for the home version with a Pro Controller. 

Now I know Vita is obviously not a success, but Nintendo's approach is massively different because it has the full brunt of Nintendo's software backing plus key Japanese support as well from 3rd parties. I think even Western devs would jump in too -- if it's just one ecosystem, then it's less risk than banking on a platform like the Wii U, which is just one form factor with a tiny userbase. That and by 2016, Nintendo will be able to get mobile chips significantly better than the Vita, allowing for Wii U quality graphics, perhaps even better. 

i pretty much agree with everything, except the price. if they are going to be that similar in price ($219 vs $189), they might as well make them the same, $199 each.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.