By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EDGE ranks the ten best games of the generation

ethomaz said:

Characters and Story: which have better backgound story and matter for the game in Dark Souls more than Sage Freke, Yuria, Biorr, Ostrava, Miralda, etc? The cools and amazing ending is better than Dark Souls end too... overall the story and caracters are better overall... it is well made in Demon's Solus like they polished and worked better on it.

Bosses: Fool's Idol, Storm King, Old Hero, Maiden Astraea, Old Monk, etc... I need to say more?

Enviropment and level design: One word... Tower of Latria... try to find anything close in Dark Souls.

Atmosphere and feel: In Demon's Souls you have a sense of fear, anguish and loneliness that can't be told in words... the game is more darker and make you really think you are inside the game.

Plus..

- Demon's Souls have better Magic abilities and use.
- Demon's Solus have better weapon balance.

And to fatalities.

Music and sound are OMG Epicness in Demon's Souls... holy shit.

I didn't come here to have a debate. I simply disagree. Prefer whichever game you want.

Around the Network

I prefer Dark Souls to Demon's Souls, but I can understand people who think Demon's > Dark. :)

I'd say that the most important factor for me was the fact that I played Dark Souls first, given that Demon's wasn't on 360.

the_dengle said:

I didn't come here to have a debate. I simply disagree. Prefer whichever game you want.

Cool. You didn't make one single point about what make Dark Souls better and you come and says disagree with you... that is not how you disagree with somebody else.

Dark Souls at #1? I am very pleasantly surprised.

Good list.

Around the Network

This list is lacking Dragon's Dogma, though.

the_dengle said:

Amusing that you like the Souls games now . I remember you not understanding why someone would enjoy a punishing game like Dark Souls. Sometimes you just gotta try a game first before deciding whether you'd enjoy it or not.

ethomaz said:

the_dengle said:

Well, whether you prefer a hubworld or an open world is largely subjective, as are feelings on characters and such. Mainly I disagree in general because Dark Souls took most of the ideas from Demon's Souls, refined them, and reworked them into an overall better game. And don't kid yourself, the bosses are so much better in Dark Souls.

Maybe I should have specified that I am also disagreeing on subjective elements -- I do prefer Firelink Shrine to the Nexus, for instance. But I don't think you can say one is objectively better than the other.

Characters and Story: which have better backgound story and matter for the game in Dark Souls more than Sage Freke, Yuria, Biorr, Ostrava, Miralda, etc? The cools and amazing ending is better than Dark Souls end too... overall the story and caracters are better overall... it is well made in Demon's Solus like they polished and worked better on it.

Other than the fact that this isnt an objective argument anyway, you didnt explain why are they exactly better. Endings in both games is kinda bad.

As for the characters, the characters in Dark Souls feel like they have another purpose in the world than just to serve the player. They get to firelink shrine, but they also go away to pursue their own goals, whereas in Demon Souls, once a character is in the nexus, he/she stays there forever, only serving as a vendor to the player. So the characters in Dark Souls feel more like real people with real purpose in the world, whereas in DmS they feel like they are there just to serve the player.

Bosses: Fool's Idol, Storm King, Old Hero, Maiden Astraea, Old Monk, etc... I need to say more?

Yes, you do, because once again, this isnt an objective reason and you didnt explain why are they better comapared to DkS bosses. DkS has a shit ton more bosses, some of them are even optional and the variety in their combat approach is also bigger.

Enviropment and level design: One word... Tower of Latria... try to find anything close in Dark Souls.

The Painted world, New Londo Ruins, Thomb of the Giants, Darkroot Garden...All great atmosphere AND level desing. Its funny that you chose Tower of Latria because while I feel the atmosphere in the level is amazing, the actual level design is poor compared to the rest of the levels. The first part is a bunch of narrow, similarly looking corridors and the second part is just a bunch of connected platforms.

Atmosphere and feel: In Demon's Souls you have a sense of fear, anguish and loneliness that can't be told in words... the game is more darker and make you really think you are inside the game.

Demon Souls is indeed darker but this isnt necessarly a superior thing. it's simply a different theme

Plus..

- Demon's Souls have better Magic abilities and use. No, not really, especially since you can stack up on MP healing items and just cheese the game with magic, which is incredibly cheap. In Dark Souls you have to rest at a bonfire and respawn all enemies in order to gain you spell uses back, so cheap magic spamming was impossible

- Demon's Solus have better weapon balance. How so? I've seen more variety in weapons in Dark Souls PvP where as in Demon Souls every either used DBS or katanas

And to fatalities

Music and sound are OMG Epicness in Demon's Souls... holy shit.

It is epic but so is Dark Souls 's music :)

And lets add the objective reasons why Dark Souls is better:

-Interconnected world

-Bigger world

-More weapons and armour

-More variety  and quantity in spells and magic

-More bosses and enemy types

-Expanded online system (covenants)

-No cheap reliance on magic and healing items

-More variety in enviorment design

-Superior PvP system (poise added balance to builds, phantos cant stack up on instant healing items)

-Less complicated upgrading system

-Superior graphics and animation

The only things which I can say were better in Demon Souls are the messaging system and the lore

Ka-pi96 said:

I'm surprised you say that and not Catherine.

Dragon's Dogma touched me in a way Catherine never could.

TLOU only at 3? Should have been 2 at least! *UNDERRATED ALERT*

Seriously though, Dark Souls wins for me, although I love it quite as much as Demon's, I played it way way more and had a blast invading many people around the world!

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...