By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DF Face-Off: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Ethomaz's Vision is Better Than Gamespot lol)

Looks like the gap has moved beyond resultion, now its getting to actual in game elements looking better.

Around the Network

so after the 720/30 vs 1080/60 rumors, we finally got 900/30 vs 1080/30

xbox one upgrade and ps4 downgrade. could have been worse

FATALITY said:
Captain_Tom said:
FATALITY said:
im starting to believe in that theory that human eye cant see the difference between 30fps vs 60fps

It isn't even a theory, it is just flat out false.  The problem is that most games like COD adverstise 60 FPS when it is really running between 45 and 60 most of the time.  Trust me, if you play a 60 FPS game that is locked down as well as the 30 FPS is in SoM, it is crazy fluid.

call of duty is pretty solid. what im saying is some of 30fps games look different than the others. for example shadow of mordor and ifamous first light are more fluid than tlous locked at 30 fps. 

Please don't tell me you can't tell the difference between TLOU with its 60 fps and 30 fps...

zero129 said:
mornelithe said:
Vena said:
mornelithe said:

Keep in mind, I only have the slightly faster 560Ti in my machine, so I'm not hating on PC here.  But, you can't expect a modified APU that's been out for less than a year to have the same kind of API refinement as a GPU that's been out for 4 years.

Ehh, with Maxwell's release, and the Pirate Islands and the new memory standard (HBM) coming early 2015, the standard prices of old GDDR memory is going to plummet. AMD will already have to cut prices to keep their old gen in the race against the Maxwell line when the 960 launches (which will be cheaper than the 970 by a good margin). GPUs that far outstrip the PS4/X1 will be easily affordable on a budget within a few months. In fact the HBM reveals are really going to ramp up the developments on the GPU end, and we're going to see prices of old cards drop off fast.

HBM is going to really change the game on the APUs side of the market too, leading to even better budget builds with built in graphical capabilities at budget prices.

Everything else can already be had at a decent price without much trouble by finding deals or shopping circa Black Friday. You can already build to or beyond the specs of the consoles on a budget of 400-500$ (give yourself an extra 50$ for not having to pay for PSN+ or XBL), and in a years time it will be even easier to completely blowpast the current consoles with a small budget. Once the basic architecture of a PC is built for a person, they can and will always be ahead of the console curve if Sony/MS stick to x86 architecture on both price and performance because the majority of the guts will never need changing outside of some unforseen failure, like your RAM, PSU, Mobo/CPU, etc....

Eh?  I wasn't commenting on any of that (Given there are cards already out that butcher the consoles, it's...pretty logical to assume more will come, and prices will fall hehe).  Simply the silliness of expecting a brand new API to be as refined as that of a 4 year old card (that's wasn't a slouch either).  And I also pointed out in an earlier response that there are cards that can easily destroy the PS4/XB1...hell, combined.  Titan Z and R295X2 have nearly 3x and 4x the performance of both consoles together, respectively.  I was actually curious though, the cards that murder other tech are easy to point out, but what cards/PC setups are 'slightly' better...like, where's the break even point.

But you see your the one who for a start asked for a break even point, and then when i pointed out that my old 6870 could still match the newer gen consoles (That should give you a very good break even point like you where asking for!) you started stating that thats pretty obvious since devs have had 4 years to "Refine" for the 6870 O_o but yet i was only giving you what you asked. Now all you need to do is see what newer low end cards match the 6870 and bam you have your break even point .

Your old ass 6870 doesn't hold a candle to the PS4 lol.  The PS4 is basically an HD 7870 (Some things are a little worse, some things are a little better), and the 7870 is double your card.  I own a 6870 btw.

Aura7541 said:
Sucks that there's no unlocked framerate option for the PS4. It also looks like that gap is getting wider because the differences aren't just in display resolution, but other attributes like texture resolution, shadows, and vegetation. We've already seen this with ambient occlusion (or lack thereof, on the X1) in Battlefield 4.

This is true, and ironically it appears that because they were forced to disable/downgrade to reach playability at 900p on X1, that 720p would have been necessary to go feature for feature equal with PS4 version.

So yeah, it's definitely more than 40% gap lol.

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
I wonder how big the difference will be when first party starts to utilize PS4 hardware.

They are already are. Killzone and Infamous.

curl-6 said:

They are already are. Where do you think the higher screen and shadow resolution plus additional foliage comes from?

I think he's talking about coding to the metal like with Smash on the 3DS, or how ND got TLOU of PS3 to run as it did. Don't think anyone has coded like that yet, I suspect ND will have to code like that for their goal of 1080p/60FPS Uncharted 4. And 343i may have done it for MCC if the 1080p/60FPS thing is true.

Vena said:

I think he's talking about coding to the metal like with Smash on the 3DS, or how ND got TLOU of PS3 to run as it did. Don't think anyone has coded like that yet, I suspect ND will have to code like that for their goal of 1080p/60FPS Uncharted 4. And 343i may have done it for MCC if the 1080p/60FPS thing is true.

PS4 will be pushed further with the likes of Drive Club and Uncharted 4, but Xbone will be pushed further as well, so I don't think the gap will widen significantly.

curl-6 said:

PS4 will be pushed further with the likes of Drive Club and Uncharted 4, but Xbone will be pushed further as well, so I don't think the gap will widen significantly.

Oh I'm not arguing it either way, just clarity from what I think the poster meant. That said, PS4 does have ACE, X1 has gimped memory, so depending on how far they take coding to the metal, the PS4 may pull ahead marginally more. I don't think the differences will be more than what they already are unless you get down to counting pixels.

Vena said:
curl-6 said:

Oh I'm not arguing it either way, just clarity from what I think the poster meant. That said, PS4 does have ACE, X1 has gimped memory, so depending on how far they take coding to the metal, the PS4 may pull ahead marginally more. I don't think the differences will be more than what they already are unless you get down to counting pixels.

Xbone will never catch up to PS4, the hardware precludes that, yeah. 

I don't expect any of the 8th gen consoles to show the same improvement from launch that PS3/360 did personally, I reckon it'll be more along the lines of the improvement we saw on the original Xbox.

PS4/Xbone/Wii U all have untapped juice left, but not oceans of it.