By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does Hyrule Warriors get praised when Dynasty Warriors does not?

Do you like Hyrule Warriors/Dynasty Warriors?

Yes 126 77.30%

No 35 21.47%

Total:161

I get the allure of it. If I could go around Getsuga Tenshouing or Cero-ing enemies, I'd probably like it...just because that particular action is what I'm doing. I'm interested in Bleach, so I'd play something with Bleach stuff in it. Running with the anime theme I started, J-Stars Victory only got a 32/40 in Japan (a region that favors games like that the most). If it released in the west, surely it'd get much lower scores and be an "average" game. But I'd still play it and rave about how awesome it was to throw a Rasenshuriken at a Kamehameha.

Dynasty Warriors is plain and generic, but people who like Zelda attacks and lore would be more interested in it.

Objectively, yea, Hyrule Warriors is just Dynasty Warriors with a Zelda skin, so overall, it's a mediocre game. But I "get" why it's being praised

Around the Network

Because it has Link on it.

Hey don't click here ! It's creepy !!

I want a PlayStation All-Stars Sequel ! Come on Sony, stop making too many shooters !

I'll make a better signature when I'll have time to do it...  

GTAexpert said:
EricFabian said:
GTAexpert said:
DaltonAbbey said:
HW didn't get much praise
Orochi 3 was better received (and is better IMO, SW4 also looks better though i haven't played it yet)

HW does get a lot of praise fom Nintendo fans.

Playstation fans are always praising The Last of Us. Is the same thing: exclusive game

Hyrule Warriors isn't even comparable with TLOU.

Yes, it is. Both are exclusive games

Click HERE and be happy 

I know right? Warriors are such underated games!

I think Zelda and Wii U fans are just excited to have something new.

Comparing Warriors games to their critical reception, they're really underrated.

Some warriors games are known to be glitchy with framerate issues -- doesn't appear to be the case with HW from what I've heard

And purely objectively, *you* can't tell me whether or not a game is worthy of praise or not if *you* haven't played it yourself!

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network
GTAexpert said:
the_dengle said:
Have you considered that a lot of Nintendo fans don't own Sony systems, and have probably never played another Dynasty Warriors game before, and therefore are not in any position to praise them?

Maybe Sony fans should make a little more noise about how much they like Dynasty Warriors. Otherwise, I might start to think the series would be better off on Nintendo platforms where the audience is more appreciative.

Your point does make sense, but the thing is when I can play God Of War and Devil May Cry on my PS console why should I care about Dynasty Warriors? Anyways, if you guys want to play Dynasty Warriors games maybe you should buy a PlayStation console.

Never do something as foolish as buying a playstation console :P how can you compare God of War and Devil May Cry to Dynasty Warrior... They are action-Adventure, hack-and-slash..... while Dynasty warrior is tactical action - Beat-em up.

fleischr said:
I think Zelda and Wii U fans are just excited to have something new.

Comparing Warriors games to their critical reception, they're really underrated.

Some warriors games are known to be glitchy with framerate issues -- doesn't appear to be the case with HW from what I've heard

And purely objectively, *you* can't tell me whether or not a game is worthy of praise or not if *you* haven't played it yourself!

Not only that, the Dynasty Warriors franchise has been around forever.  It's got a dedicated fanbase but a lot of people have never even given that style of game a chance.  It's a series that has had generations of refinement suddenly being exposed to a fanbase that never thought they'd like that style of game.  It's like if Call of Duty got reskinned as something else.  The game is actually quite good and well made but people have this "Oh no. Not another one!" mentality that makes them automatically hate it.  I think Hyrule Warriors is benefitting from this.

Or people just like what they like.  I dunno.

OttoniBastos said:
etking said:
I guess HW went through Nintendo quality assurance which makes a huge difference.

Jokes aside,yes the fact HW is an exclusive boost the "quality perception" of the game.To be fair,almost all exclusive games suffer from that.

Well, exceptions exist for everything, eh?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

FAN SERVICE.

And yes Nintendo fans hyped it up too. The same way Ninty fans hyped up conduit on the wii despite the fact that it looked horrible, same way Devils third is apparently a game to look forward to. But its the same with all loyal fans *cough-fanboys*. I remember people pretending that the Knack gameplay videos actually looked good...

Genuinely though as someone who thinks dynasty games are trash, this game seems to have more diversity in art, characters, environments and combat style. Theres just alot more going on then you get in your typical DW game

GTAexpert said:

I dislike Dynasty Warriors, and never said it deserved any praise on its own. But if Hyrule Warrior is being praised, Dynasty Warriors should be praised as well as its the same game.

The gameplay is the same and is mediocre, as I already said. But the story is superior to other Dynasty Warriors, I think that is what most are praising. Not the Dynasty Warriors mechanics. 

The logic/reason you are using for Nintendo fans to praise DW just doesn't make sense. You are making it sound like sour grapes.