By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny (PS4) outsells Mario Kart 8 in less then 2 weeks.

kupomogli said:
MRKs said:
Quality =/= Sales

Isn't it Nintendo fans that constantly argue that sales do equal quality because most first party games hit a million plus sales?

I like you alot as a good poster but seriously can you stop grouping all nintendo fans together and also stop saying that statement. Its not true, i kno you personally dont like pokemon but that doesn't mean its a game thst doesn't deserve 10mil+ sales.

And besides its competitive core is whats the real hidden deal. Unfortunately you cant make it there :-/

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
fleischr said:
Destiny is terribly frontloaded though.

MK is the very definition of gaming sales legs. Years from now, MK8 will have outsold Destiny PS4 by roughly a 2:1 margin. (MK8 12-14 million, Destiny PS4 6-7 million)

With the Wii Us current sales momentum I don't think that is even possible.

I know right.  How can the Mario Kart 8 sell 12-14 million when the Wii U will only have 14 million consoles sold by a a few years from now.

CGI-Quality said:
NightDragon83 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Simple: GTA V, as the easiest example, had far more pre-release hype than Destiny. You were better off keeping your dynamic view where it was.

So GTAV didn't live up to the hype then?  Not sure you understand what the term "overhyped" means.

Your response to me:

"Name one other brand new IP that was as heavily hyped and advertised as Destiny was." That's what I responded to, which says nothing about overhype (in a continually shifting argument). Thus, I don't think I'm the one confused, here. You can't even decide if you're talking about new IPs or established franchises.

And your non-answer response was...

"Strategic shift of argument. You didn't say: "brand new IP", originally. Thus, my point remains. In fact, I remember more pre-release buzz surrounding Titanfall."

So your point remains that Destiny was not the most overhyped game of all time bar none (which was my original post that YOU responded to) because... you said no.  Period.  Without giving any example.  And then you pretended like a game like Titanfall had more pre-release hype and advertising than Destiny did, which, let's be honest, is a joke.

Bottom line is this.... both Destiny and GTAV had the same amount of pre-release hype and advertising... difference is GTAV is a known quantity which is where most of the hype was generated from in the first place, and the end product lived up to the hype based on reviews and general gamer reception.  On the other hand, Destiny is a brand new IP that was being hyped and advertised as heavily as a game like GTA but only based on the developer's previous pedigree and nothing else, and the end product did not live up to the hype based on reviews and general gamer reception.

Hence, my original point that Destiny is the most overhyped game of all time, bar none.  Thank you, come again.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I am still wondering how destiny(I mean its a good game but nothing spectacular) is better than what many consider the best mario kart ever made(almost :P)

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

kupomogli said:
Ka-pi96 said:
fleischr said:
Destiny is terribly frontloaded though.

MK is the very definition of gaming sales legs. Years from now, MK8 will have outsold Destiny PS4 by roughly a 2:1 margin. (MK8 12-14 million, Destiny PS4 6-7 million)

With the Wii Us current sales momentum I don't think that is even possible.

I know right.  How can the Mario Kart 8 sell 12-14 million when the Wii U will only have 14 million consoles sold by a a few years from now.

Nintendo goes third party. BOOM.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:

No fair, when i use that excuse for Bayo vs Bayo 2 (170mil+ vs 7mil) nobody listens....... :P

Perhaps you should be using Jan 2010 install bases then.

drake_tolu said:
By end of year MK8 will outsell Destiny for PS4, maximum in 2015.

I'm really curious if you actually believe this. 

Danman27 said:
drake_tolu said:
By end of year MK8 will outsell Destiny for PS4, maximum in 2015.

I'm really curious if you actually believe this. 

unless its bundle with smash. not gonna happen

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

NightDragon83 said:

Bottom line is this.... both Destiny and GTAV had the same amount of pre-release hype and advertising... difference is GTAV is a known quantity which is where most of the hype was generated from in the first place, and the end product lived up to the hype based on reviews and general gamer reception.  On the other hand, Destiny is a brand new IP that was being hyped and advertised as heavily as a game like GTA but only based on the developer's previous pedigree and nothing else, and the end product did not live up to the hype based on reviews and general gamer reception.

Hence, my original point that Destiny is the most overhyped game of all time, bar none.  Thank you, come again.

You take the matter too personally, the people that like the game don't consider it overhyped, the people that don't do, the same goes for GTAV, it was hyped to hell and back the only difference is you actually like the series so you don't see it as being overhyped.

Your argument is a flawed one at best.

Not too surprising. Wii U has like 2/3 of the PS4 userbase and Destiny is a Bungie FPS.