By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Why doesn't Europe have a continental fùtbol league?

Ka-pi96 said:
zuvuyeay said:
well i think it will happen but not sure when

either an NFl type euro super bowl or a 2 tier league with say 40/50 clubs,money will talk in the end and the arabs,russians,americans and soon more far east billionaires don't buy these clubs not to be in a closed money shop as the end game

personally i wish it would happen sooner as the champions league is boring for me the same 10 elite clubs in a merry go round playing boring tedious group games and the europa league is a joke not just perfect like some here said,it hinders certain clubs in england with pointless group games which just favours the elite,just like platinis FFP

it should go back to one straight knockout europe competition to be truly exciting but they'll lose too much money so they may as well break off and form a euro super league

once the elite clubs breakaway the clubs left in england would still have a great league with better atmospheres due to cheaper tickets and even standing and we could still have a european knockout competition with the clubs left out in the cold throughout europe,plenty of decent clubs left,be better for the england team too as all the best payers would be in the euro super league where the money is

when the 5 major euro leagues become so top heavy which they will,it will be inevitable

I don't think so. I can't see any such league being more lucrative than the Champions League already is. Not only that but the teams currently get huge revenue from their domestic leagues as well as the European money. The English Premier League alone earns over 2 billion pounds a year in tv revenue, what would make up for that?

yes it will,where do you think it ends,the top euro clubs will be more powerful than platini soon enough and want more or if englands tv deal gets even bigger,real & barca will want more money and arrange a break away as will 10 billionaire  foreign chairman,they don't care about the game at national level if bigger tv deals are on the cards

an NFL style euro super bowl breakaway would earn more money for man utd or liverpool than the english tv deal as would man utd arranging their own tv deal like barca or madrid,do you think man utd won't make that happen eventually,of course they will,money always talks in the end game

Above & Beyond

Around the Network

The UEFA will actually start a new international league with national teams.
It will be called the Nations League and start in 2018.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Nations_League

''Hadouken!''

Ajax said:

thats right they want to do away with pointless freindlies i think,another friction between clubs and associations 

if players are going to cost 30-100m,they won't be playing pointless internationals for long

Above & Beyond

Because that is the Champions league and we already got it?

Ajax said:

Great news. Friendlies are boring.

JazzB1987 said:
tbh why not? Football/Soccer is a joke anyways. If you are from e.g Munich and 60% of your team are foreigners how does that have anything to do with Munich? You cannot even be proud of your city because the people are not from your city.

Its just "who has the most money and can buy the best international players"

Its like having frenchmen and germans play for team ENGLAND. wth would be the point?

Most players from South American teams are actually from its own country. In Brazil, for example, a lot of people are against investors buying their teams, because they feel that having to many foreigners make the team lose its identity (I'm included in that group by the way). It's bad because we can't keep the best players we have and many teams have lots of debts (not that European teams don't have, but they will never pay anyway), but it makes the national leagues a lot more competitive. The only bad thing is that the fans lose the passion for the National Team, because most of its players aren't here. The World Cup helped to recover a little of the feeling we had for the National Team before, but it is way different from 15 years ago, when most players were playing for Brazilian teams.

Also, I just like to watch UEFA Champions League from the quarters to the final, because, seriously, there are so many really bad teams against a few really good teams that it is not even funny to watch. Maybe a continental league could make me more interested in European football, but I think its unlikely to ever happen.

Libertadores also suffer a bit of that problem, since Brazilian and Argentinian team are way better than the others, but the difference is not that big like in Europe.

Around the Network
poklane said:

I remember it for 2 reasons

I remember it mostly for the first reason... Poor Alonso! xD

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

We have the Champions League for that.

It's better this way, in a closed european league a lame team like Man U would be playing this year.

Champions league is fine.

The questions would raise 'Who should be in this league?' I mean Juventus are no longer the force they used to be.

Hmm, pie.

You know that it was a real project a few years ago ?

The big european clubs wanted to create their own league and worked on that, but I don't know where is this project now...

Would be maybe good for all the Barcelona, Bayern or whatever fans around the world who are only fans of these clubs because of success, money involved and stuff like that but I think for the “real“ fans of Football clubs it would be horrible.

There is already the Champions League but for many fans it's awesome to see especially the regional matches like as example Dortmund vs. Schalke. That's like Birthday and Christmas together for fans of clubs who aren't only a fan because some sheik bought a club into success or whatever else the reason is that some clubs get like 10x the amount of fans when someone starts to pump billions in a club.

Watching your team playing in the Champions League is awesome but if you are a real fan you also love to see matches like I mentioned above and this is a big part of fan culture.