By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Why doesn't Europe have a continental fùtbol league?

They do. It's called the champions league.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

Around the Network
AZWification said:
Ka-pi96 said:

That's tough to say. The last World Cup was definitely a good one. But the 2010 one was actually pretty boring so...

The only thing I remember about the WC 2010 is the final between Spain and Holland.. I remember it for the wrong reasons though.

I remember it for 2 reasons

When will they have time to play in their own leagues?

Also there is a european league with national teams coming in 2016.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
ethomaz said:

Augen said:

We have a Champions League.  It is called the CONCACAF Champions League.  The group stages are wrapping up, my club DC United actually qualified for this year's and has already advanced to the knoc out stage.

There have been discussions of the Libertadores becoming the big tournament in the future and the Sudamericana and CCL being like Europa League's for each continent.  I would say we're a good twenty years off that though.

I think only US and Canada are not part of Libertadores. Everybodry else in America is... from Mexico to Chile.

Makes sense (even if it is not called Libertadores... well I like more Libertadores than CONCACAF Champions League).

Not everybody. Mexico is literally the only country from outside South America in it. That leaves all the central American and Caribbean countries out.

Mexico are also in the CONCACAF Champions League with the USA, Candada and some teams from other central American countries. In fact, Mexico even kind of dominate it 

Not anymore. MLS is going to do a ton of damage. Shame the timing of this tournament respective to the timeline of the MLS season.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

tbh why not? Football/Soccer is a joke anyways. If you are from e.g Munich and 60% of your team are foreigners how does that have anything to do with Munich? You cannot even be proud of your city because the people are not from your city.

Its just "who has the most money and can buy the best international players"

Its like having frenchmen and germans play for team ENGLAND. wth would be the point?

Around the Network

I know its common in US sport to have a cartel of teams and they're set in stone. But that would kill the entire spirit of football. Its a sport of very big ups and even bigger downs not just in individual games but for teams in general.

Leeds United only a little over a decade ago were challenging the big boys of the premier league. Their low since then saw them relegated into the third tier.

My club Huddersfield are now in the same league as them (the football league championship). They were in the 4th tier a few seasons ago and I still dream of them one day reaching the premier league in my lifetime.

A league such as proposed in this thread would kill all that and mean most away games coated hundreds of pounds and hotels and flights to attend. It would also kill every single top league club in Europe that didn't make this elite league that is proposed. Rather than having such a commercial rather than fan focused league in football. Maybe other sports should look to having much more accessible ground roots possibilities.

Look at how teams like AFC Wimbledon are doing. This would be impossible in sports such as baseball and handegg.

As others have said. We already have a tournament for the creme de la creme of European football. And the competitors change each season based on their current performances.

I remember when Alex Ferguson wanted an elite league in football no other team would have access to. All it would have done was guaranteed the elite to have all the revenue which ultimately is what the proposal was about.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

well i think it will happen but not sure when

either an NFl type euro super bowl or a 2 tier league with say 40/50 clubs,money will talk in the end and the arabs,russians,americans and soon more far east billionaires don't buy these clubs not to be in a closed money shop as the end game

personally i wish it would happen sooner as the champions league is boring for me the same 10 elite clubs in a merry go round playing boring tedious group games and the europa league is a joke not just perfect like some here said,it hinders certain clubs in england with pointless group games which just favours the elite,just like platinis FFP

it should go back to one straight knockout europe competition to be truly exciting but they'll lose too much money so they may as well break off and form a euro super league

once the elite clubs breakaway the clubs left in england would still have a great league with better atmospheres due to cheaper tickets and even standing and we could still have a european knockout competition with the clubs left out in the cold throughout europe,plenty of decent clubs left,be better for the england team too as all the best payers would be in the euro super league where the money is

when the 5 major euro leagues become so top heavy which they will,it will be inevitable

Above & Beyond

MikeRox said:

I know its common in US sport to have a cartel of teams and they're set in stone. But that would kill the entire spirit of football. Its a sport of very big ups and even bigger downs not just in individual games but for teams in general.

Leeds United only a little over a decade ago were challenging the big boys of the premier league. Their low since then saw them relegated into the third tier.

My club Huddersfield are now in the same league as them (the football league championship). They were in the 4th tier a few seasons ago and I still dream of them one day reaching the premier league in my lifetime.

A league such as proposed in this thread would kill all that and mean most away games coated hundreds of pounds and hotels and flights to attend. It would also kill every single top league club in Europe that didn't make this elite league that is proposed. Rather than having such a commercial rather than fan focused league in football. Maybe other sports should look to having much more accessible ground roots possibilities.

Look at how teams like AFC Wimbledon are doing. This would be impossible in sports such as baseball and handegg.

As others have said. We already have a tournament for the creme de la creme of European football. And the competitors change each season based on their current performances.

I remember when Alex Ferguson wanted an elite league in football no other team would have access to. All it would have done was guaranteed the elite to have all the revenue which ultimately is what the proposal was about.

if 5 big english clubs left for a euro super league

nothing would change in england apart from a smaleer tv deal,it would be better for the lower leagues if you ask me,still plenty of fans watching,there would still be 4 leaguesand a better chance getting into the 1st division,like the old days

good atmospheres to,standing would come back,cheaper tickets,bigger crowds,better all round

Above & Beyond

Many clubs have won the CL/EC1 that would not have been in such an european league.

And without relegation its even more ridiculous.
It would mean that Ajax should always be in that league, and also AC Milan, (11 titles together)
and clubs like Manchester City and Chelsea would never get in. (1 title together)
If this european league was invented earlier.
But the same problem would arise now again.

So you must have relegation.
And it must be country based.
So you would basically get the champions league.

''Hadouken!''

Ka-pi96 said:
zuvuyeay said:

if 5 big english clubs left for a euro super league

nothing would change in england apart from a smaleer tv deal,it would be better for the lower leagues if you ask me,still plenty of fans watching,there would still be 4 leaguesand a better chance getting into the 1st division,like the old days

good atmospheres to,standing would come back,cheaper tickets,bigger crowds,better all round

No it wouldn't. It isn't UEFA that banned that, it was the English FA themselves that chose to do that. Some other UEFA countries such as Germany still have standing areas at stadiums.

standing is still in england and would be back in an instant if the top 5 clubs left for a euro super league.it will be back sooner than later as ticket prices rise anyway,no fans no football

Above & Beyond