By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Why doesn't Europe have a continental fùtbol league?

It seems obvious for the best clubs in some Europe's biggest cities to form a league. It'd be popular worldwide and rake in a TON of money. Of course regulation would be done away with.

And I mean the likes of...

Real Madrid
Manchester United
Arsenal
Bayern Munchen
Juventus
Barcelona
Paris SG
Roma
FC Porto

Etc.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Around the Network

Why? We have the Champions League for that. It would also immediately screw up every other competition. Also, how would promotion/relegation work?

mZuzek said:
Because it would be a terrible idea.

Whay's it a terrible idea?

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

I'd like to have that, but it's probably not good for the fans, as they can't travel all over Europe every second week.

poklane said:
Why? We have the Champions League for that. It would also immediately screw up every other competition. Also, how would promotion/relegation work?

Regulation would be done away with to keep all clubs on an equal playing field.

Around the Network
BraveNewWorld said:
poklane said:

Then what if a club completely slips away or a club that isn't in the league becomes very good?

Ka-pi96 said:
You mean football? Maybe because we already have the UEFA Champions League, you know... one of the greatest sporting competitions in the world.

Possibly the greatest after the World Cup, IMO better than the UEFA European Championship.

poklane said:
BraveNewWorld said:
poklane said:

Then what if a club completely slips away or a club that isn't in the league becomes very good?

American sports don't have this problem because the leagues become de facto monopolies. Smaller clubs would lack exposure and die off. And any player worth a damn would be in the hypothetical continental league.

Ka-pi96 said:
You mean football? Maybe because we already have the UEFA Champions League, you know... one of the greatest sporting competitions in the world.

No, I mean soccer.

:p

mZuzek said:
BraveNewWorld said:

American sports don't have this problem because the leagues become de facto monopolies. Smaller clubs would lack exposure and die off. And any player worth a damn would be in the hypothetical continental league.

You've said it right there. Does this sound good to you? Cause it sure sounds horrible to me.

It sounds horrible. If you would have a league like this, clubs like Real Madrid and PSG would just buy every player that can kick a ball normally in case he becomes a good players, destroying all other competitions. Also, teams like Porto and Roma would go bankrupt within 5 years. The only reason these teams exist is because they are the top of their league, if they would be the worst of an international league no player on earth wants to move to them.