By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Why doesn't Europe have a continental fùtbol league?

Ka-pi96 said:

Not everybody. Mexico is literally the only country from outside South America in it. That leaves all the central American and Caribbean countries out.

Mexico are also in the CONCACAF Champions League with the USA, Candada and some teams from other central American countries. In fact, Mexico even kind of dominate it

I guess others Central teams can participate too but they didn't have good teams to reach it.

Mexico looks to have the strongest teams and have more tradition too.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Mexico are also in the CONCACAF Champions League with the USA, Candada and some teams from other central American countries. In fact, Mexico even kind of dominate it

Every year there is a sense a non-Mexican side can pull it off, but in the end one of them wins it.  8 years in a row, actually hurt the competition a bit not to have mix of winners.  I think a US or Canadian side will win it in next five years with the influx of sponsor money reducing the wage gap between Liga MX and us.

ethomaz said:

Ka-pi96 said:

Not everybody. Mexico is literally the only country from outside South America in it. That leaves all the central American and Caribbean countries out.

I guess others Central teams can participate too but they didn't have good teams to reach it.

Mexico looks to have the strongest teams and have more tradition too.

Lot of it has to do with stadiums and revenue it brings in.  For example in our own CL only US, Mexico and Canada have quality stadiums and bring decent crowds and sponsorship money.  Some sides cannot participate in our own CL due to poor conditions of their own stadium not being up to code.  i think they are a long long way off considering the Libertadores.

Ka-pi96 said:

Their success is good, but the reason they were started is even better

In case you don't already know....  They were started by Manchester United fans unhappy at the clubs ownership, so they decided to start their own club. Brilliant story really, something that unfortunately can't happen using a system with no promotion/relegation.

I do know, I am a founding member. Have my founders kit from back then still wear time to time. I actually had to stop paying dues and sending me mailers across the Atlantic was costing them too much and not like I could make it to the meetings anyways.

We already have the Champions League you know.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Augen said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Their success is good, but the reason they were started is even better

In case you don't already know....  They were started by Manchester United fans unhappy at the clubs ownership, so they decided to start their own club. Brilliant story really, something that unfortunately can't happen using a system with no promotion/relegation.

I do know, I am a founding member. Have my founders kit from back then still wear time to time. I actually had to stop paying dues and sending me mailers across the Atlantic was costing them too much and not like I could make it to the meetings anyways.

Really? Wow, that's quite a surprise actually. Nice!

I wish we had this type of entrepreneurship with our sports in the States, it's usually big business tycoons or banks buying teams here.

Also the UEFA Champions League is the 2nd most exciting thing in Futbol anyway, 2ND only to the World Cup.

THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!

Ka-pi96 said:

That's tough to say. The last World Cup was definitely a good one. But the 2010 one was actually pretty boring so...

From a European perspective I can see it being close, outside of that continent the World Cup is the biggest deal as it dwarfs our club football.  I watch the CL for the level of play, I watch the WC for the drama and emotion of celebrating with fellow countrymen.

Ka-pi96 said:
I3LuEI3omI3eR said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Really? Wow, that's quite a surprise actually. Nice!

I wish we had this type of entrepreneurship with our sports in the States, it's usually big business tycoons or banks buying teams here.

Also the UEFA Champions League is the 2nd most exciting thing in Futbol anyway, 2ND only to the World Cup.

THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!

That's tough to say. The last World Cup was definitely a good one. But the 2010 one was actually pretty boring so...

That's because that was one of the most defensive World Cup's in recent memory. The 3rd Play game was 5x better than the final. The Spanish team from 2008-12 was a dyntasy, BUT GOD were they boring to watch! I think they won the Cup with the Lowest tally of GOALS for a World Cup champion, they didn't score more than 1 goal per game throughout the whole cup I believe...

Ka-pi96 said:

The only thing I remember about the WC 2010 is the final between Spain and Holland.. I remember it for the wrong reasons though.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Yeah, and we could call it something like...
hmmm....

I know!
The Champions League!

oh... wait... thats already a thing

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)