By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox exclusive D4 flops with less than 10k copies sold in first week (according to the game's leaderboards)

y2jarmyofficial said:

its not ms fault. It was tba states till 3 days before launch.the devs should of gave a release date ahead of time

MS is the publisher. The publisher tells the developer when their game is going to be released, not vice versa.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
iceland said:
Sad that people are taking this as an opportunity to criticize the Xbox community, like an extremely niche game like this would have sold boatloads somewhere else.

Heavy Rain was a niche title that PS gamers pushed to almost 3M sold.  And even the less well received Beyond: Two Souls to over 1M.  What's ridiculous is to assume that putting this game on a system who's audience seems to appreciate niche titles more, and who's company of origin actually pushes niche titles even if they don't sell the greatest, would have resulted in similar sales.

Swery's history says otherwise; a niche title as Deadly Premonition sold fairly well on 360 whereas it "flopped" on Ps3, despite having additional content and such.

thismeintiel said:
iceland said:
Sad that people are taking this as an opportunity to criticize the Xbox community, like an extremely niche game like this would have sold boatloads somewhere else.

Heavy Rain was a niche title that PS gamers pushed to almost 3M sold.  And even the less well received Beyond: Two Souls to over 1M.  What's ridiculous is to assume that putting this game on a system who's audience seems to appreciate niche titles more, and who's company of origin actually pushes niche titles even if they don't sell the greatest, would have resulted in similar sales.

Such a terrible example.

Aerys said:
NobleTeam360 said:
I love how some people try to make this out to be MS's fault, even if they had advertised this small game it would of still sold poorly. Anyway I'll wait to see how the legs of the game do, if it can manage 50k then I'd call that solid sales.

But it's the truth, nothing says the game would have sold poorly with good marketing and more time, it could have been at 100K right now maybe.

Besides the fact that Swery publicly said he was to "Steve Jobs" the game. Which was announce it at TGS and then release right after with no build or hype. So Microsoft has nothing to do with his poor choice.

thismeintiel said:
iceland said:

Heavy Rain was a niche title that PS gamers pushed to almost 3M sold.  And even the less received Beyond: Two Souls to over 1M.  What's ridiculous is to assume that putting this game on a system who's audience seems to appreciate niche titles more, and who's company of origin actually pushes niche titles even if they don't sell the greatest, would have resulted in similar sales.

Just because I don't think it would have sold significantly better doesn't mean I think the sales would have been similar. Would it have done slightly better on PS4? Sure, I don't think it would have been a big of a difference as people claim. HR and B:TS are big budget retail exclusive games, not really comparable IMO. There's xbox gamers that like niche games, Swery's other game "Deadly Premonition" is proof.

Around the Network
MB1025 said:

Besides the fact that Swery publicly said he was to "Steve Jobs" the game. Which was announce it at TGS and then release right after with no build or hype. So Microsoft has nothing to do with his poor choice.

That's not what Swery is saying now.

MS barely promoted it and nobody knew it was coming out when it did. It was a surprise release of a niche title and a Kinect game, too. Although I heard you can choose to use the controller?

Wright said:
thismeintiel said:
iceland said:

Swery's history says otherwise; a niche title as Deadly Premonition sold fairly well on 360 whereas it "flopped" on Ps3, despite having additional content and such.

Well, you are not totally honest there, considering the fact PS3 version released 3 years after 360 version, there was nothing more to expect from a game selling mostly in the Us, most people who wanted the game there already had it

But it's a known fact niche games sell better on PS, it's a consequence of being the main platform for japanese games

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Wright said:

I'm not exactly sure if you know this but the reason Deadly Premonition on the PS3 had sold less than half the xbox 360 version was because it released in other big territories like NA and EU in a very late fashion. It took 3 years for most users to be able to have access on the PS3 version of Deadly Premonition compared to the xbox 360. 

Another thing is that the game sold poor in Japan and most of it's sales came from overseas so it's perfectly understandable why the game didn't fare well on the PS3. 

I might have been interested int the full game, but doesn't seem that's going to happen now. They did everything wrong with this.

- No advertising
- Exclusive on a console with less interest in adventure games
- Episodic game
- Releasing just after back to school, just before the big games start hitting
- Kinect stigma
- QTE stigma

I guess it deserves the low sales after reading this

The bigger problem, sadly, is that D4 is built around a Kinect-reliant interface that unfortunately doesn't work. As ever with Kinect-centric games, it's sometimes hard to tell whether it's Kinect or the game itself that's at fault, but navigating D4 with motion controls is torture. D4 plays like a point and click adventure, and you hover your hand around to examine things. The only way to move around is to hover over different areas in the room and close your fist, which works about 70% of the time. Swiping your hand to look around, sadly, works more like 50% of the time. Both are painfully slow.

Unfortunately it also has a lot of QTEs, and there are few more infuriating combinations in the world of video games than QTEs and motion controls. Even though what's actually happening during the QTE sentences is always enjoyably bonkers – an extended fight scene aboard the plane soundtracked by what can only be described as "bagpipe punk" was a particular highlight – it's difficult to pay attention when you're flailing around trying to get Kinect to recognise your PERFECT gestures.

Too bad, it looked promising.