By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox has around 17m Gold subscribers

BeElite said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Xbox Live has to be what makes Xbox financially worthwhile.

17 million is massive. The X1 appeals to core gamers so that subscription number should remain high in the coming years.

no it does not, sales show that pretty blatantly. 

The subs will drop like a rock due to low sales. 

You obviously don't what a core gamer is. The software sales show the X1 audience is primarily core gamers.

Go do a little research if you don't understand.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Well lets just agree that the number is high and everything is for comparison's sake so by what ever means to get subscribers, be it shameless pay walls or what have you. the bottom line is in a search for SOMETHING! xbox wins the battle of video game paid accounts.

And sony has taken notice and copied the main strategy for achieving the feat.

It will probably still take a long time before sony can compete with the numbers but as for xb1 vs ps4...........ps4 just might have more paid subscriptions........but thats just a guess.

Another guess is I think it's very likely that the xb1 users as a whole has a higher percentage of adaptor to paid accounts than the ps4 side.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Farsala said:
Lot less then what was assumed. PS4 PS Plus might hit that in a few years.

Well with the X1 you really only need one Gold subscribtion per console if the main account is gold all the other accounts can use gold fuctions also.

Too_Talls said:

Well lets just agree that the number is high and everything is for comparison's sake so by what ever means to get subscribers, be it shameless pay walls or what have you. the bottom line is in a search for SOMETHING! xbox wins the battle of video game paid accounts.

It will probably still take a long time before sony can compete with the numbers but as for xb1 vs ps4...........ps4 just might have more paid subscriptions........but thats just a guess.

Another guess is I think it's very likely that the xb1 users as a whole has a higher percentage of adaptor to paid accounts than the ps4 side.

With the X1 you only need one gold account per console all the other accounts on the same console can share all the benefits of a gold account.

Chris Hu said:
Farsala said:

Well with the X1 you really only need one Gold subscribtion per console if the main account is gold all the other accounts can use gold fuctions also.

PS Plus also works that way.

Around the Network
Talal said:
Chris Hu said:
Farsala said:

PS Plus also works that way.

Well I never had PS Plus and I don't have a PS4 so I wouldn't know.

Chris Hu said:
Too_Talls said:

With the X1 you only need one gold account per console all the other accounts on the same console can share all the benefits of a gold account.

I know that much, as such, one gold account has been eliminated. My little bro doesn't need to stack up on gold anymore. Though just how big of an impact will the be to the overall number I wonder..........

I know of other people with multiple gamers but they all would sooner play onine on one account than have multiple suscriptions.

I just didn't want my bro fk'ing up my cod stats.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Mike_L said:

Now you're making stuff up. PS4 launch brought a 90% increase in PS Plus subscriptions and more than half of PS4 owners are PS Plus suscribers.

More than half of PS4 owners = at least 5.5 mill

5.5 mill = 90% increase

Based on this the actual number of paying PS Plus subscribers could very well be around 11.6 mill as 5.5 mill/90*100 (subscribers before PS4 launch) + 5.5 (subscribers joined after launch) = 11.6 (subscribers in total).

Since then there have been an increase due to Driveclub becoming free for subscribers in 2 weeks and an increase due to Destiny launch which made PS4 sales go up 300% in eg. the UK. Some of those new PS4+Destiny owners might want to play online. Just a hunch :)

I don't think I agree with your math. The 90% increase was actually reported in January 2014. At that time, they had sold 4.2m PS4s. So, technically, that would mean that before PS4, there was around 1-2m PS+ subscribers. The last time we heard from Sony, they said that approximately half of PS4 owners have PS+, and at the time they had shipped 7m units. So using the latest info that we have, there are 3.5m PS4 PS+ subscriptions, bringing the total to around 5-6m in May. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

shikamaru317 said:

How would this guy know how many Gold subs there are? He doesn't work for MS. And somehow I doubt they just told him the number. I'd guess the number is around 25-30m personally.

again..

he is the CEO of Wargaming.net, the developer behind World of Tanks, which is a massive hit title MS is happy to have exclusively on their platforms

why would MS not tell the man how much potential reach the game can have on MS consoles (as f2p titles like WoT need Gold subscriptions) ??

Blood_Tears said:
Imaginedvl said:

People like me huh? lol I don't bash MS at every opportunity, I actually don't mind the Xbox. I had a blast with my X360 playing Gears and the early JRPG's on it and I'll buy an X1 if they get some exclusive JRPG's on it as well.  It's the defensive MS supporters I don't care for. The kind that just let an online forum or any potential negative news go to their head and assume their positions in the console warzzz..but you wouldn't know anything about that would you?  no, because I can tell your're more level headed then that......

Gears and early JRPGs on 360! Om my... my bad then, you are definitly a very objective forum poster, not biased in anyway :)
Glad we figured out how objective and non-biased is the other, now let's be friends and talk about the topic again!

So 17m is low, what would you expect to be today? You said that 4.5m new customers (up from 12.5m) in few years would be low ? 

P.S: I want to make sure you are not doing any mistake again, we are talking about paying subscribers, which are referred as "gold" on Xbox Live at the opposite of "silver" members. It is like PS+ on Playstation if this can give you a sense of comparison.