By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox has around 17m Gold subscribers

RenCutypoison said:
prinz_valium said:
foodfather said:
It may seem low, but it was never going to be more than 40million. I doubt there are even 40 millions active xbox owners let alone gold subs.

Its still a decent % compared to the userbase.

imho its something about ~60m (for both x360 and ps3)

40m would be only 50% "active" users.

gtaV sold over 15m units so nearly 40% of all active user bought the game?

35 million sales on VGC. At this point it's almost 40% of non nintendo console gamers

but u put ps3 and x360 version together...

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Xbox Live has to be what makes Xbox financially worthwhile.

17 million is massive. The X1 appeals to core gamers so that subscription number should remain high in the coming years.

no it does not, sales show that pretty blatantly. 

The subs will drop like a rock due to low sales. 

BeElite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

17 million is massive. The X1 appeals to core gamers so that subscription number should remain high in the coming years.

ohh boy

im sure ur right like always..

It may be so, but seems low when we see sales of COD, Battlefield, Halo, FIFA, Madden every year. And how old games comunities are still active.

prinz_valium said:
BeElite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

ohh boy

im sure ur right like always..

Take a look at sales, i am.

I dont delude my self to argue reality.

But do keeo it up, its always hilarious.  

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Mike_L said:
Mr Puggsly said:
MoHasanie said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I thought it would be higher. We always assumed it was around 25m. How does this compare to PS Plus? 

When PS4 released Sony said PS Plus grew about 400%. So I'd guess between 3 - 4 million.

Now you're making stuff up. PS4 launch brought a 90% increase in PS Plus subscriptions and more than half of PS4 owners are PS Plus suscribers.

More than half of PS4 owners = at least 5.5

5.5 mill = 90% increase

Based on this the actual number of paying PS Plus subscribers could very well be around 11.6 mill as 5.5 mill/90*100 (subscribers before PS4 launch) + 5.5 (subscribers joined after launch) = 11.6 (subscribers in total).

Since then there have been an increase due to Driveclub becoming free for subscribers in 2 weeks and an increase due to Destiny launch which made PS4 sales go up 300% in eg. the UK. Some of those new PS4+Destiny owners might want to play online. Just a hunch :)

But we don't know how many of these keep PS+ so numbers could also drop, especially if many stop playing Destiny.

That's true. Even though I expect quite a few of those Destiny PS+ subscribers to continue subscribing I don't think the baseline number of PS+ subscribers are going to catch up to the baseline number of XBL Gold yet. After all 88+ mill Xbox consoles that require subscription to play MP have been sold compared to only 11+ PS consoles.

prinz_valium said:
RenCutypoison said:

35 million sales on VGC. At this point it's almost 40% of non nintendo console gamers

but u put ps3 and x360 version together...

Yes, because they have the same audience. Considering all the people owning both, there is hardly more than 80 million active users of ps360. So 40-50% for GTA 5 sounds right. And that does not sound right. It should not exceed 25%

not sure why people are surprised,.. seems about right to me. we already knew the 40M number and we already knew that was gold and sliver.

hell,. for every 10M gold users that is up to $600M in yearly revenue. if you look at ms's financials you had to know the gold sub rate wasn't 40M else that would be $2.4 billion in revenue a year and the division xbox is in just isn't that profitable.

Are subscribers ones that automatically get there payments taken out and xbox live renewed?

I swear I have read an article saying it's around 43 million?

You have to keep in mind that tons of people only buy Gold when games release that suit their taste. Then when the game gets old, there's no need to renew the subscription until another interesting game comes out.

Add the current active online Halo/Battlefield/Call of Duty/GTA/etc. players with players of recent releases such as Destiny and the number makes perfect sense.