By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dev Facing Problems In CoD: Advanced Warfare XOne Development, Another Resolution-gate Controversy?

The only difference between the Xbox One and PS4 versions of Lords of the Fallen is in the resolution: Xbox One is 900p, while PS4 is 1080p, City Interactive Executive Producer Tomasz Gop tells VideoGamer.

"Probably the resolution [on Xbox One] is like 900p instead of 1080p on PlayStation 4," Gop says. "But apart from that there's nothing different, I would say."

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/22/report-lords-of-the-fallen-ps4-is-1080p-xbox-one-is-900p/

I'm not even sure why we argue about this anymore.  The small size of the XO's eSRAM has made it difficult to increase resolution.  That's the simple reality of the situation, at least for now.  It's not the fault of the developers, it's a mistake Microsoft made with the system design.  We know they're working very hard on new SDKs and sending out engineers to help studios work around it.  We'll just have to see what the future holds.

Around the Network

Why is it a controversy? It's a fact that PS4 is more powerful.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

pokoko said:

The only difference between the Xbox One and PS4 versions of Lords of the Fallen is in the resolution: Xbox One is 900p, while PS4 is 1080p, City Interactive Executive Producer Tomasz Gop tells VideoGamer.

"Probably the resolution [on Xbox One] is like 900p instead of 1080p on PlayStation 4," Gop says. "But apart from that there's nothing different, I would say."

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/22/report-lords-of-the-fallen-ps4-is-1080p-xbox-one-is-900p/

I'm not even sure why we argue about this anymore.  The small size of the XO's eSRAM has made it difficult to increase resolution.  That's the simple reality of the situation, at least for now.  It's not the fault of the developers, it's a mistake Microsoft made with the system design.  We know they're working very hard on new SDKs and sending out engineers to help studios work around it.  We'll just have to see what the future holds.

The thing is that IQ is not just determined by display resolution and framerate. Stuff like texture resolution, ambient occlusion, anti-aliasing solutions, lighting simulation, and physics simulation play a huge role, too. Even if X1 games finally consistently clock at 1080p display resolution, by then, PS4 games will be way ahead on other attributes.

I don't see how they can't achieve 1080p, it's COD. Sledgehammer also only has to focus on 3 platforms this time around seeing as High Noon Studios is doing the ps3/360 port.

bananaking21 said:
this self proclaimed "insider" is nothing but a fanboy. nobody should listen to tidux

Or Gnikananab.  That guy is 100% correct, but who wouldn't be with the information he gives out.

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:

Are you a game developer? Are you familiar with the curent state of PS4/XOne development kits, APIs and drives??

In your last statement you list things that developers could do... but no one is doing that. The difference in loading time, texture resolution and stable framerate is no where near the 40% GPU advantage (or 30% XOne disadvantage). 

You basic only have the 1080p vs 900p and everything else is the same. Look at DF Metro Redux for exemple. It´s just easy to reach 1080p on the PS4 and a few extra AA, but every other aspect of the image is as difficult, or more, than on the XOne. 

And as a computer scientist I can assure you that you can get much more than 40% performance boost over optimisation. Algorithms are not bottles. 

Yup, just like clockwork....

You must be a very visually/memory selective computer scientist because every single multiplat game has shown some sort sort of advantage or the other in favor of the PS4. Be it better res, better textures, better AA, better color depth or a combination of any one of those things. That is a fact. Is it a night and day difference? No. Are they fully taking advantage of just how much more powerful the PS4 is? Probably not, and if you know anything about game dev then you would know why.

Because devs aren't using that power difference to the fullest doesn't mean its not there. And you take on performance boost with optimization and better tools; what I find funny about everyone that says stuf like that is how they conveninently forget that said optimization can also be done on the PS4. Unless of course you feel that sony's engineers are just sitting on their hands and not making improvements to their SDK

Intrinsic said:
Dark_Feanor said:

Are you a game developer? Are you familiar with the curent state of PS4/XOne development kits, APIs and drives??

In your last statement you list things that developers could do... but no one is doing that. The difference in loading time, texture resolution and stable framerate is no where near the 40% GPU advantage (or 30% XOne disadvantage). 

You basic only have the 1080p vs 900p and everything else is the same. Look at DF Metro Redux for exemple. It´s just easy to reach 1080p on the PS4 and a few extra AA, but every other aspect of the image is as difficult, or more, than on the XOne. 

And as a computer scientist I can assure you that you can get much more than 40% performance boost over optimisation. Algorithms are not bottles. 

You must be a very visually/memory selective computer scientist because every single multiplat game has shown some sort sort of advantage or the other in favor of the PS4. Be it better res, better textures, better AA, better color depth or a combination of any one of those things. That is a fact. Is it a night and day difference? No. Are they fully taking advantage of just how much more powerful the PS4 is? Probably not, and if you know anything about game dev then you would know why.

Because devs aren't using that power difference to the fullest doesn't mean its not there. And you take on performance boost with optimization and better tools; what I find funny about everyone that says stuf like that is how they conveninently forget that said optimization can also be done on the PS4. Unless of course you feel that sony's engineers are just sitting on their hands and not making improvements to their SDK

And the difference isn't just in the number of teraflops in the GPU. The PS4's GPU has twice the fillrate and 4x the GPGPU compute queues.

Intrinsic said:

We shouldn´t argue when we are agreeing.

I never said it always identical, they are usualy as close as they can be with limited time and effort from developers.

In fact, some times the difference is beyond the 40% GPU delta. Ghosts and MGS GZ are basicaly the only case with the extra 125% pixels.

But again, would a normal person say that Destiny looks and performs 40% better on the PS4? Or Diablo 3?  Or even Ghosts and MGS, people would say one is twice as better than the other? 

The extra power might be there but if developers aren´t using it utterly meaningless to the gamers. It´s not as they do this on porpouse. They just don´t have time and it´s not worth, because people wouldn´t see the difference.

Dark_Feanor said:

We shouldn´t argue when we are agreeing.

I never said it always identical, they are usualy as close as they can be with limited time and effort from developers.

In fact, some times the difference is beyond the 40% GPU delta. Ghosts and MGS GZ are basicaly the only case with the extra 125% pixels.

But again, would a normal person say that Destiny looks and performs 40% better on the PS4? Or Diablo 3?  Or even Ghosts and MGS, people would say one is twice as better than the other? 

The extra power might be there but if developers aren´t using it utterly meaningless to the gamers. It´s not as they do this on porpouse. They just don´t have time and it´s not worth, because people wouldn´t see the difference.

If your argument is "yes, every gam runs better on the PS4, but in majority of the cases these differences are hard to dicern by the avergae gamer" then I doubt anyone would argue with you. And those that do will likely only claim that they can see the differences just fine. Thats their problem.

But if you are saying "there is no difference" and then go on to point out differences and dismiss them then you are setting yourself up for a fight you would lose.

You say with very little effort, in truth we have no idea what devs do or don't do, it could be that they spend all their time on the Xb1 version of a game knowing that with minimal work they could have the game running on the PS4 and looking slightly better, or that they make as good a PS4 version as they can within a certain time and bring the XB1 version as close to it as posible. Point is, neither you nor I could ever know that.

Your last paragraph is a contradiction. You admit that the extra power might be there, and that developers aren't using it and also give a reason for being a lack of time but say people wouldn't see the difference. How would people see the difference when as you said devs aren't actually using that power advantage? But these are all irrelevant, power advantage or not, no one has two copies of the same game for two different consoles and runs them side by side on two different TVs. So in truth, even if the XB1/PS4 version looked identical to the 360 version of a game, it will still be the best looking thing a gmer will see cause thats all he's seeing.

kupomogli said:
bananaking21 said:
this self proclaimed "insider" is nothing but a fanboy. nobody should listen to tidux

Or Gnikananab.  That guy is 100% correct, but who wouldn't be with the information he gives out.

Gnikananab is really impressive. such detailed leaks, and perfect accuracy.