By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One has another price cut in UK! Now £329.99

binary solo said:
walsufnir said:
binary solo said:
Sony will react with bundles if anything. I don't see any reason for them to cut price, even if Xb one draws even with this price cut, which I doubt they will.

Because it's weaker and therefore should be cheaper hardware MS shouldn't be losing money at a slightly lower price point than PS4.

I somehow agree but performance in hardware doesn't always correlate with price.

We all know the key difference  in base costs is the unique ESRAM in Xb one that has no direct comparison in PS4, how much that element changes the base cost of the console, and is offset by the cheaper less powerful components such as the RAM is the unknown quantity. But I believe bill of materials analyses at the start of the gen suggested that Xb one came in at just a bit less than PS4, once you remove Kinect. Or am I not remembering correctly?

Now RAM also has power? That's funny :) Yeah, we don't know but after MS buried Kinect I think selling only the console they are in the same price spot like Sony. So both could tweak the price screws a little bit but for Sony it's crucial that PS4 will also bring some money home so I guess they let MS drop the price and see how market will react. ICE they just bundle some games with the hardware.

Around the Network

They needed it but surely still wont be enough, 299 might be enough visual difference to sway some but even that would be by a small factor.

Pricing between the 2 consoles seems pretty equal. Amazon have the X1 listed at £324 and the PS4 at £329 and both can be had with a game for £349. Game have the PS4 with Fifa 15 and The Last of Us for £349. Shopto also have the X1 listed at £324 and the PS4 at £329. Everywhere I seem to look the PS4 has also had its price reduced.

Either way I've just pre-ordered an X1 with Forza Horizon 2.

celador said:
A third price cut in 10 months. That is the kind of thing a seriously failing console does. And yet MS are doing it in the UK, where it isn't failing. Why aren't they doing this for continental Europe?

few weeks backs they were selling for €300 and 2 games in germany. rest of europe has no interest on xbox brand. 

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

So GAME have the PS4 w/ FIFA 15 and TLOU:R for £349 to counter X1 + FIFA. Great deal.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Fusioncode said:
With all the free game bundles and temporary price drops I can't imagine how much money Microsoft is losing on the console right now.

Hmm, I doubt it's that much. I think both consoles have almost the same price in manufacturing, PS4 could be even higher. And I heard a while ago that Sony is starting to make money with PS4 hardware so MS could be on profit with the hardware, too.

you are wrong. last report from some website that i read on neogaf said the xbox was more expensive to make than ps4. and gdrr5 memory is dropping the price very fast. drr3 still expensive.

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

sully1311 said:
So GAME have the PS4 w/ FIFA 15 and TLOU:R for £349 to counter X1 + FIFA. Great deal.

Definitely a strength from Sony, at least in Germany, too. If you look carefully you can easily buy their consoles for way less than the official price. They change their deal partners weekly with some crazy bundling.

Three price cuts in 10 months. Is this some kind of record?

In any case, at least the Xbox One finally has one advantage over the PS4.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

FATALITY said:
walsufnir said:
Fusioncode said:
With all the free game bundles and temporary price drops I can't imagine how much money Microsoft is losing on the console right now.

Hmm, I doubt it's that much. I think both consoles have almost the same price in manufacturing, PS4 could be even higher. And I heard a while ago that Sony is starting to make money with PS4 hardware so MS could be on profit with the hardware, too.

you are wrong. last report from some website that i read on neogaf said the xbox was more expensive to make than ps4. and gdrr5 memory is dropping the price very fast. drr3 still expensive.

"You are wrong" without any prove? Nice... And what? GDDR5? How would you know? And MS and Sony don't walk into a shop and buy memory... There are contracts made with partners and they achieve prices customers can't even dream of.

I only could find this: http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/29/the-deanbeat-the-xbox-one-cost-471-to-make-the-ps4-costs-381-and-why-this-matters-in-the-long-run/

There you have Kinect-Xbox-One at $471

PS4 $381.

By them Kinect is woth $75 so we have $381 against $396. Given these are all only estimates we get a feeling both are very close to each other in cost.

Xbox One Costs $90 More to Build Than PS4, Teardown Shows ($75 Kinect 2)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723016